Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only

Looking for Advice: Organizing a volunteer communications team for distributed rescue

• 1.  Looking for Advice: Organizing a volunteer communications team for distributed rescue

Posted 04-01-2019 11:09 AM

I am seeking advice. I have recently been volunteering with an organization that has members and operations in multiple states. I have been managing social media for a few months for the rescue and it seems a bit chaotic and unorganized. I am working to build a collaborative team approach to managing the communications and marketing, across all channels, but am struggling to get support and am not finding many resources online that are truly helpful.

Many of the volunteers currently engaged have been with the organization for many years and the feedback I have heard is that things have become a bit stagnant, but most seem fairly set in their ways and not truly ready to let go or change. I've been running the numbers and growth has slowed and in some areas had been trending downward. 

I am a big believer in strategic marketing and branding (it's what I do professionally), and believe the rescue could benefit from a strategic review with a communications strategy and plan. I'd like to propose a team structure and workflow with proper roles and clear responsibilities, and identify tools we can use that will support the team. 

Has anyone here had experience building a team and bringing strategy, cohesion, and collaboration to communications? Any tips you can share? Team structures and roles? Lessons learned? Should we create local chapters with their own communications team? 

#marketing
    #communications
    #teams
    #PeopleManagement
    #organizationalchange
    #socialmedia