Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Meet Founding Member Teresa Ramey

Posted 02-15-2019 02:37 PM

Teresa Ramey @Zooramey
    Registered Veterinary Technician
    Maddie's Fund

Tell us about you and your history in animal welfare

TR: I am a Registered Veterinary Technician, and I am very fortunate to be able to work with Maddie’s Fund for the past 4 years. Prior to Maddie’s Fund, I worked with the East Bay SPCA for about 10 years, as well as canine rehabilitation, emergency medicine, and other veterinary behavior and medical fields.

What are you most proud of in your career so far?

TR: What I am most proud of in my career is actually not related to veterinary medicine. I have always been a huge advocate for the human side of shelter medicine. Many people become jaded after years of seeing some pretty bad situations that animals have endured, and this can cause a lot of anger and sadness, not to mention compassion fatigue.

Over time, I have helped others that I have worked with to realize that most people are really just struggling themselves, and need a compassionate person to listen to them, and provide some support. By helping to change their perspective on the situation, it opened not only their minds, but their hearts to the people behind the animals.

I can’t tell you the immense amount of help this can be to the animals, when the people that care for them are given support when it is needed.

Name something related to shelters & animal welfare that you're super passionate about and want others to learn about?

TR: I am passionate about “keeping them home” programs. If a person/family reaches out to an animal organization because they need information or education or help, I feel it is our responsibility as a community as well as an animal welfare organization to keep that family together. It benefits the family, the pet, and the other animals in the shelter.

Tell us something about yourself people might be surprised to learn.

TR: You might be surprised to learn that I can pet 3 dogs at once

Who is your "animal welfare crush?"

TR: My animal welfare crush is Sophia Yin but If you would like to know who I would like to currently work with, I would be really interested to work with Dr. Susan G. Friedman.

Teresa with her husband Ted and boys Desmond & Eli giving their rescue dog Maggie a rinse!

Thank you for the interview, Teresa! And thank you for being one of our most active members of the Maddie's Pet Forum community.

Your insight and sense of humor is much appreciated and needed! Have a question or something fun to share with Teresa? Leave them in the comments below!

#foundingmemberfriday
    #Medicine,SurgeryandSterilization
    #foundingmember
    #interview
    #vettechnician
    #registeredvettech

• 2.  RE: Meet Founding Member Teresa Ramey

Posted 02-19-2019 04:49 PM

Teresa, I love the answer you gave for what you're most proud of. The human side of shelter medicine is sometimes an afterthought. You're so right! I've seen the same thing. When we become jaded, it's easy to blame the person instead of meeting them where they're at. I agree wholeheartedly that the best way we can help the pet is to help the family. Thank you for everything you do to help change perspectives and keep things positive! You rock!!

• 3.  RE: Meet Founding Member Teresa Ramey

Posted 02-19-2019 11:12 PM

• 4.  RE: Meet Founding Member Teresa Ramey

Posted 04-12-2019 05:17 PM

I'm so happy to see my former work colleague being in the spotlight!