Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

PetPoint restricts microchip pet recovery to folks who opt in for marketing communications ONLY!

• 1.  PetPoint restricts microchip pet recovery to folks who opt in for marketing communications ONLY!

Posted 08-16-2018 07:01 AM

I'm the president of CaRMaH, the Cat Rescue of Marlborough and Hudson in Massachusetts.

Recently I've learned of what I consider an unethical practice on the part of PetPoint.  If an adopter Opts Out of marketing materials, this also means that the animals microchip will be in the PetPoint Database, but the adopter WILL NOT BE CONTACTED if their pet is found.  

"What if a pet owner does not consent to contact?

- Pethealth Inc. and/or its family of companies will not contact the pet owner.

This means the pet owner will not receive enrollment information via email regarding the Gift of Pet Insurance or Lost Pet Services."

When I've inquired, the response I ultimately received is this is to comply with anti-spam legislation (CAN-SPAM).  This legislation is to restrict marketing to those who Opt In.  It does NOT restrict the registration of microchips, nor the ability of the microchip company to reach out to the adopter.

I feel this is highly unethical - there is little meaning to microchip a pet, then not have the ability to reach out to the owner.   How heartbreaking to know that a rescue chipped your pet, and the pet is lost.  Someone else finds the pet and scans it, but you will never know.

For those who use Pet Point, please use the Contact Us function, and you can cut and paste this posting.

WE WANT OUR ADOPTERS TO RECOVER THEIR LOST PET!  

#foundpet
    #lostpet
    #AdoptionsandAdoptionPrograms
    #microchip
    #ethics
    #petpoint

• 2.  RE: PetPoint restricts microchip pet recovery to folks who opt in for marketing communications ONLY!

Posted 08-16-2018 07:14 AM

I am also troubled by this situation.  I was hoping that larger organizations would object and their paid version of the software might have more influence then those of us who are relying on the free version.  Has anyone moved their data to a different company from Pet Point?  We have been with Pet Point for over 10 years.  Lots of data to try and capture and move.  

• 3.  RE: PetPoint restricts microchip pet recovery to folks who opt in for marketing communications ONLY!

Posted 08-17-2018 10:07 AM

That is very scary. And it does seem unethical.

• 4.  RE: PetPoint restricts microchip pet recovery to folks who opt in for marketing communications ONLY!

Posted 03-11-2022 11:40 AM
    I just emailed our rep to ask him about this and also ask him if its true that
    effective May 1st Petpoint/ShelterCare is no longer offering adopters the 30 days of free pet health insurance – is this true? If so are they doing anything to supplement this? The only reason we used PP/SC and bought the chips was specifically because of the insurance. So now we'll try to find better easier nicer and user friendly software - if anyone has suggestions pls share! We were looking for years to buy software that works in the shelter and clinic but every time we get close to finding something get allllll the way to the end only to find out it won't do XXX or YYY and we have to start searching again :(

------------------------------
    LEIGH GRADY

• 5.  RE: PetPoint restricts microchip pet recovery to folks who opt in for marketing communications ONLY!

Posted 03-16-2022 04:32 AM

Good Morning

We use Petstablished. I don't know if they have pet insurance as we haven't looked into that. It does allow you to purchase microchips from them that are preregistered to your rescue. You can also create the animal profile in there and have it exported to Adopt A Pet and Petfinder (so only one place to update). You can build foster apps, adoption apps, and adoption packages. You can give the adopter access to their animal so they can keep things updated (which is nice should you end up with the animal being returned).  There are a lot of other nice features to it as well. I believe you can watch tutorials on youtube if interested in seeing everything it will do. 

Sarah Hoadley
    Paws in Middle Georgia Animal Rescue

• 6.  RE: PetPoint restricts microchip pet recovery to folks who opt in for marketing communications ONLY!

Posted 08-17-2018 01:14 PM

But isn't it the microchip company's job to contact the pet owner and not Pethealth? Pethealth isn't microchipping the pet, they're just storing the information. And wouldn't the person who finds the pet contact the microchip company and not Pethealth?

I feel like i'm missing a piece in terms of understanding this. Does Pethealth provide ID tags which instruct finders to call them??

• 7.  RE: PetPoint restricts microchip pet recovery to folks who opt in for marketing communications ONLY!

Posted 08-17-2018 01:38 PM

Pethealth owns 24 Pet Watch, or it's the same company.

• 8.  RE: PetPoint restricts microchip pet recovery to folks who opt in for marketing communications ONLY!

Posted 08-17-2018 02:31 PM

Thanks RJ.  So then that is not marketing, right??  its letting someone know that their pet has been found... Doesn't seem like a valid argument... 

Sheila

• 9.  RE: PetPoint restricts microchip pet recovery to folks who opt in for marketing communications ONLY!

Posted 08-18-2018 03:57 PM

Our shelter is charged by PetPoint when we enter a microchip from another company-I believe it is $4-5.  We have been trying to change microchip companies, to something less expensive, but have not been able to figure out a way.  It is very frustrating.  The new owner can register the chip with another registry and it is in our system, but we still are charged if we put a different brand of microchip into Petpoint.  

• 10.  RE: PetPoint restricts microchip pet recovery to folks who opt in for marketing communications ONLY!

Posted 08-19-2018 08:49 AM

That's Pet Points model.  Other ones like ShelterLuv will let you use any microchip and then they charge per adoption transaction instead.  Might be time to consider your options

• 11.  RE: PetPoint restricts microchip pet recovery to folks who opt in for marketing communications ONLY!

Posted 08-19-2018 06:53 PM

There are so many microchip companies today which I think is proving to be a barrier to getting pets home.  Some large animal control agencies don't have the time or manpower to chase chips as much as I would like (thru to the implanter when neccessary).  I recommend to all adopters to register with Foundanimals.org.  The service is free and they report to microchiplookup.org.

• 12.  RE: PetPoint restricts microchip pet recovery to folks who opt in for marketing communications ONLY!

Posted 08-21-2018 07:21 AM

We explain to our adopters that they need to opt-in (consent) in order for 24PetWatch to be able to contact them (for microchipping and any pet insurance options). However, with the change in services provided by 24PetWatch it's been on our radar as to whether there is a better company to go with. I also recently received a packet of information from a concerned citizen who printed out pages upon pages of complaints about 24PetWatch. I'll be contacting PetPoint to let them know and perhaps they will reconsider if enough of us complain. 

• 13.  RE: PetPoint restricts microchip pet recovery to folks who opt in for marketing communications ONLY!

Posted 08-22-2018 01:36 PM

At 24PetWatch, our Lost Pet Recovery Team does everything they can to reunite pets with their owners. This includes obtaining the consent to contact the pet parent to arrange a happy reunion.  

Obtaining an adopter’s consent refers to an adopter’s decision to allow us to contact them via phone or email in the event their pet goes missing. If they decline, they are choosing not to receive any communication from us which can include information that their missing pet is found, any updates added to their microchip profile, as well as information about any paid lost pet services.

Adopters can opt-out of marketing communications at any point in time, post consent, while still providing consent to contact with our Free Lost Pet Recovery services.

• 14.  RE: PetPoint restricts microchip pet recovery to folks who opt in for marketing communications ONLY!

Posted 08-22-2018 05:45 PM

Yes, that is what I have been told, Steve, but I find this completely unethical.   24PetWatch is holding the microchip found pet recovery hostage - no marketing, no happy reunion.  Saying "Well, the only way your found pet will be reunited with you, is to agree to marketing - there is no other way" makes us appear as product pushers - and not caring about the adoptees.  I hear you, that you can opt in then opt out - our adopters do not need more steps to go through to know their lost pet will be found, if they don't want marketing.

I've been with 24PetWatch for years, but if I'm going to have to tell my adopters to take multiple steps to assure lost pet recovery, I'll switch chip companies.  And, more  importantly, I'll move to another shelter database.  CaRMaH is a small rescue, adopting out 350+ cats per year, TNRing another hundred.  If enough rescues get disgusted by the 24PetWatch tactics, they too will leave, and reduce your potential customers.

• 15.  RE: PetPoint restricts microchip pet recovery to folks who opt in for marketing communications ONLY!

Posted 08-24-2018 09:56 AM

A member of our team has been trying to contact you and your staff to fully review the program. Pethealth is committed to a Win-Win-Win approach... products and services that create wins for pet parents, for animal welfare partners and for Pethealth. We'd love to talk to you and anyone else with question or concerns about this program.

• 16.  RE: PetPoint restricts microchip pet recovery to folks who opt in for marketing communications ONLY!

Posted 08-24-2018 01:51 PM

August 15th is last contact I have - looking forward to conversing if there is a potential for changing this. 

• 17.  RE: PetPoint restricts microchip pet recovery to folks who opt in for marketing communications ONLY!

Posted 01-01-2021 10:05 AM
    Could you give us an update?

marion wagner

• 18.  RE: PetPoint restricts microchip pet recovery to folks who opt in for marketing communications ONLY!

Posted 02-18-2021 08:24 AM
    Hi Marion, I'm always happy to talk with organizations about how PetPoint automatically registers microchips with 24PetWatch without any registration fees (not for organizations nor pet parents).  Let me know if you would like to connect!

Erina McGuire

• 19.  RE: PetPoint restricts microchip pet recovery to folks who opt in for marketing communications ONLY!

Posted 02-18-2021 09:09 AM

Hi everyone,

My name is Lauren and I'm a Client Services representative at 24PetWatch and PetPoint alongside Erina. Thank you Erina, for jumping in and offering support!

While we strive to only send educational and useful information via our marketing emails, we understand that some individuals may want to opt-out. If an adopter decides they no longer would like to receive communications from us beyond receiving their microchip information, such as emails on insurance or upgraded lost pet services, there are two options for them:

1. 1. At the bottom of our emails, we always include an option to unsubscribe from all which will immediately stop the occurrence of all 24PetWatch marketing communications, not lost pet notifications.
    2. 2. Adopters can simply call into our lost pet recovery team to customize which emails they would like to receive including notifications if their pet ever goes missing and is found.

Don't forget: Even if an adopter has requested to be unsubscribed from marketing AND lost pet notifications, their information stays in our 24PetWatch registry. As such, when the pet is found, we are still legally permitted to release adopters information to shelters, rescues, animal control etc. to help facilitate a reunite alongside animal welfare professionals.

24PetWatch's lost pet services were created to make reunites as efficient as possible and we can only do that through collaboration with animal welfare organizations that encourage microchipping and keeping the contact details up to date through online registries.

If you have any questions, please reach out to me directly or email b2bclientservices@pethealthinc.com" tabindex="-1">B2BClientServices@Pethealthinc.com. I would be more than happy to help clarify!

Lauren Reason-Rodrigues
    Pethealth Inc

• 20.  RE: PetPoint restricts microchip pet recovery to folks who opt in for marketing communications ONLY!

Posted 02-16-2021 09:29 PM
    We need some update, plesase

Will Larson
    None

• 21.  RE: PetPoint restricts microchip pet recovery to folks who opt in for marketing communications ONLY!

Posted 02-18-2021 08:25 AM
    Hi Will, if you would like, I'd be happy to talk with you about how PetPoint automatically registers microchips with 24PetWatch without any registration fees (not for organizations nor pet parents).  Let me know if you would like to connect!

Erina McGuire

• 22.  RE: PetPoint restricts microchip pet recovery to folks who opt in for marketing communications ONLY!

Posted 02-18-2021 09:10 AM

Hi everyone,

My name is Lauren and I'm a Client Services representative at 24PetWatch and PetPoint alongside Erina. Thank you Erina, for jumping in and offering support!

While we strive to only send educational and useful information via our marketing emails, we understand that some individuals may want to opt-out. If an adopter decides they no longer would like to receive communications from us beyond receiving their microchip information, such as emails on insurance or upgraded lost pet services, there are two options for them:

1. 1. At the bottom of our emails, we always include an option to unsubscribe from all which will immediately stop the occurrence of all 24PetWatch marketing communications, not lost pet notifications.
    2. 2. Adopters can simply call into our lost pet recovery team to customize which emails they would like to receive including notifications if their pet ever goes missing and is found.

Don't forget: Even if an adopter has requested to be unsubscribed from marketing AND lost pet notifications, their information stays in our 24PetWatch registry. As such, when the pet is found, we are still legally permitted to release adopters information to shelters, rescues, animal control etc. to help facilitate a reunite alongside animal welfare professionals.

24PetWatch's lost pet services were created to make reunites as efficient as possible and we can only do that through collaboration with animal welfare organizations that encourage microchipping and keeping the contact details up to date through online registries.

If you have any questions, please reach out to me directly or email b2bclientservices@pethealthinc.com" tabindex="-1">B2BClientServices@Pethealthinc.com. I would be more than happy to help clarify!

Lauren Reason-Rodrigues
    Pethealth Inc

• 23.  RE: PetPoint restricts microchip pet recovery to folks who opt in for marketing communications ONLY!

Posted 03-11-2022 11:32 AM
    I agree with you on this - Petpoint we originally started using ONLY because of the free 30 day pet insurance. Over a decade ago any pet that was chipped and adopted was AUTOMATICALLY registered with their info - little by little over the years they've changed to now the insurance activates on different days 3 days for this and 7 days for that - a lot of things are no longer covered  :( and I just heard effective May 1st the entire program is being d/c! whats up with that? we are currently looking for new MORE USER friendly software/chips and insurance! if anyone has recommendations pls share :)

LEIGH GRADY

• 24.  RE: PetPoint restricts microchip pet recovery to folks who opt in for marketing communications ONLY!

Posted 03-15-2022 03:27 PM
    Our rescue uses Michelson Found Animals registry. We Order 100 chips at a time as we don't go through them super fast. We recently ordered smaller chip needles as the ones we were using for kittens and adults seemed way too big! All of our chips are registered to our rescue name in the event a feline sneaks out of a fosters home, gets loose during vet trips etc.
    Once the animal is adopted we have a card and registration steps for the new owner to register kitty in their name. There's a little card that folds in half that gives website Address and a place to write your animals chip number down. Find it funny it says " put this in your wallet your pet doesn't have one" on it!
    We'll even leave extra chips at our vet clinics in case one of our fosters forgets to grab one!
    The only issues we've had which was recently and one was 100% my fault was when I went to register my newest foster fail kitten I figured why not register my older 2 since I had the chip reader and was able to get each of their numbers. I registered my new kitten and our rescue information ELPR came up as her being registered to us. I know I had brought our chips with to implant so not sure what happened there. Went to register my next cat he also wasn't registered to our rescue even though he'll be 3 in June. Then I went to register his sister and she's the only one who came up as registered to our rescue ELPR so I had to request a transfer of ownership. Where this got to be an issue is that request Email went to someone no longer on our board.
    All communications that we know of with this company have to take place through email. It took a couple of weeks to finally get that cat registered to me as her owner. 2 things from this situation: 1 I should've been responsible and registered her and her brother to me when I foster failed and adopted them! 2. At least she was registered to our rescue so if something ever did happen, at least when she was scanned our rescue would come up.
    Other than these few hiccups we really haven't had any issues with this company! I don't know the Financials behind it as that's not my area of "expertise" on the board! The website is found.org

---------------------------------
    Tracy Hanson

Ellie's Legacy Pet Rescue

• 25.  RE: PetPoint restricts microchip pet recovery to folks who opt in for marketing communications ONLY!

Posted 03-15-2022 03:47 PM
    NOT TO MENTION effective May 1st they are no longer offering/providing the free 30 days of Pet health insurance!!!!!!!!!!!!
    this company has gone down hill BIG TIME – we're looking for new software!

Leigh Grady
    Executive Director

Animal Shelter Inc.
    17 Laurelwood Road
    Sterling MA 01564

978 422 8585 phone
    978 422 8449 clinic
    978 422 8574 fax

"Every Nose Needs a Home"

Join us on Facebook at Www.facebook.com/sterlinganimalshelter
    Looking for affordable spay or neuter? We can help! www.sterlingshelterclinic.org
    Please consider donating much needed items from our Amazon wishlist https://smile.amazon.com/hz/charitylist/ls/2FF16KPH9KI3I

Our rescue uses Michelson Found Animals registry. We Order 100 chips at a time as we don't go through them super fast. We recently ordered smaller...
    Maddie's Pet Forum

Post New Discussion Post New Discussion via Email
    Manage Account Information
    Re: PetPoint restricts microchip pet recovery to folks who opt in for marketing communications ONLY!
    Reply to Discussion Reply to Discussion via Email Reply Privately to Author Reply Privately to Author via Email
    Mar 15, 2022 3:27 PM
    Tracy Hanson
    Our rescue uses Michelson Found Animals registry. We Order 100 chips at a time as we don't go through them super fast. We recently ordered smaller chip needles as the ones we were using for kittens and adults seemed way too big! All of our chips are registered to our rescue name in the event a feline sneaks out of a fosters home, gets loose during vet trips etc.
    Once the animal is adopted we have a card and registration steps for the new owner to register kitty in their name. There's a little card that folds in half that gives website Address and a place to write your animals chip number down. Find it funny it says " put this in your wallet your pet doesn't have one" on it!
    We'll even leave extra chips at our vet clinics in case one of our fosters forgets to grab one!
    The only issues we've had which was recently and one was 100% my fault was when I went to register my newest foster fail kitten I figured why not register my older 2 since I had the chip reader and was able to get each of their numbers. I registered my new kitten and our rescue information ELPR came up as her being registered to us. I know I had brought our chips with to implant so not sure what happened there. Went to register my next cat he also wasn't registered to our rescue even though he'll be 3 in June. Then I went to register his sister and she's the only one who came up as registered to our rescue ELPR so I had to request a transfer of ownership. Where this got to be an issue is that request Email went to someone no longer on our board.
    All communications that we know of with this company have to take place through email. It took a couple of weeks to finally get that cat registered to me as her owner. 2 things from this situation: 1 I should've been responsible and registered her and her brother to me when I foster failed and adopted them! 2. At least she was registered to our rescue so if something ever did happen, at least when she was scanned our rescue would come up.
    Other than these few hiccups we really haven't had any issues with this company! I don't know the Financials behind it as that's not my area of "expertise" on the board! The website is found.org

Tracy Hanson

Reply to Discussion   Reply to Discussion via Email   Reply Privately to Author   Reply Privately to Author via Email   View Thread   Like   Forward   Flag as Inappropriate  
    -------------------------------------------
    Original Message:
    Sent: 03-11-2022
    Subject: RE: PetPoint restricts microchip pet recovery to folks who opt in for marketing communications ONLY!

I agree with you on this - Petpoint we originally started using ONLY because of the free 30 day pet insurance. Over a decade ago any pet that was chipped and adopted was AUTOMATICALLY registered with their info - little by little over the years they've changed to now the insurance activates on different days 3 days for this and 7 days for that - a lot of things are no longer covered  :( and I just heard effective May 1st the entire program is being d/c! whats up with that? we are currently looking for new MORE USER friendly software/chips and insurance! if anyone has recommendations pls share :)

LEIGH GRADY

You are receiving this message because you followed the 'PetPoint restricts microchip pet recovery to folks who opt in for marketing communications ONLY!' message thread. To unsubscribe from this message thread, go to Unsubscribe.

Update your email preferences to choose the types of email you receive

Unsubscribe from all participation emails

• 26.  RE: PetPoint restricts microchip pet recovery to folks who opt in for marketing communications ONLY!

Posted 03-16-2022 11:21 AM
    Hi Leigh,
    Check out SAINT, which stands for Saving Animals In Need Together (love that)!  :) https://getsaint.com/ They can assist you with your software and microchip needs, not to mention a completely free registry. :)

Caroline Laxton
    American Association of Pet Parents

• 27.  RE: PetPoint restricts microchip pet recovery to folks who opt in for marketing communications ONLY!

Posted 03-16-2022 02:27 PM
    great thx all

Leigh Grady
    Executive Director

Animal Shelter Inc.
    17 Laurelwood Road
    Sterling MA 01564

978 422 8585 phone
    978 422 8449 clinic
    978 422 8574 fax

Looking for affordable spay or neuter? We can help! www.sterlingshelterclinic.org
    Please consider donating much needed items from our Amazon wishlist https://smile.amazon.com/hz/charitylist/ls/2FF16KPH9KI3I

Hi Leigh, Check out SAINT, which stands for Saving Animals In Need Together (love that)!  :) https://getsaint.com/ They can assist you with your...
    Maddie's Pet Forum

Re: PetPoint restricts microchip pet recovery to folks who opt in for marketing communications ONLY!
    Reply to Discussion Reply to Discussion via Email Reply Privately to Author Reply Privately to Author via Email
    Mar 16, 2022 11:21 AM
    Caroline Laxton
    Hi Leigh,
    Check out SAINT, which stands for Saving Animals In Need Together (love that)!  :) https://getsaint.com/ They can assist you with your software and microchip needs, not to mention a completely free registry. :)

Caroline Laxton
    American Association of Pet Parents
      Reply to Discussion   Reply to Discussion via Email   Reply Privately to Author   Reply Privately to Author via Email   View Thread   Like   Forward   Flag as Inappropriate  
    Original Message:
    Sent: 03-15-2022 03:47 PM
    Subject: PetPoint restricts microchip pet recovery to folks who opt in for marketing communications ONLY!

NOT TO MENTION effective May 1st they are no longer offering/providing the free 30 days of Pet health insurance!!!!!!!!!!!!
    this company has gone down hill BIG TIME – we're looking for new software!

Leigh Grady
    Executive Director

Animal Shelter Inc.
    17 Laurelwood Road
    Sterling MA 01564

978 422 8585 phone
    978 422 8449 clinic
    978 422 8574 fax

Please consider donating much needed items from our Amazon wishlist smile.amazon.com/hz/charitylist/ls/2FF16KPH9KI3I

Our rescue uses Michelson Found Animals registry. We Order 100 chips at a time as we don't go through them super fast. We recently ordered smaller...

Mar 15, 2022 3:27 PM
    Tracy Hanson

Tracy Hanson

Original Message:
    Sent: 03-11-2022
    Subject: RE: PetPoint restricts microchip pet recovery to folks who opt in for marketing communications ONLY!

LEIGH GRADY

You are receiving this message because you followed the 'PetPoint restricts microchip pet recovery to folks who opt in for marketing communications ONLY!' message thread. To unsubscribe from this message thread, go to Unsubscribe.

Original Message:
    Sent: 3/15/2022 6:27:00 PM

Tracy Hanson

• 28.  RE: PetPoint restricts microchip pet recovery to folks who opt in for marketing communications ONLY!

Posted 03-17-2022 06:07 AM
    Since you said you're looking for new software, I'd be happy to give you a quick tour of AnimalsFirst, the first truly customizable animal data management software in the industry. You can use whatever chips and insurance is best for your organization. We offer these features:
      -- intake, outcome and medical records on each animal
      -- searchable display of available animals on your website
      -- total application/request/contract/payment adoption process through the Adopter Portal
      -- Foster Portal allows Foster Parents to manage bios, photos, medical records and applications for their animals in care
      -- customizable fields and tags to work with YOUR process
      -- customizable automated emails
      -- Lost and Found
      -- Community Clinic
    and much more.

I'm also a volunteer at a rescue and have been a customer for a year.  Happy to show you around in it via Zoom. My contact information is:
    Linda Lea
    AnimalsFirst
    llea@animalsfirst.com

Linda Lea
    Big Bones Canine Rescue