Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Transport Crate Question

Posted 10-18-2019 12:01 PM

Hello!

I'm taking some steps to grow a relocation program. Right now we have a large transport vehicle that we send out once a week, but I'm looking into options of sending smaller transports as well using a volunteer who's driving a personal vehicle to a destination. 

My main question is for anyone who does this, how do you get your crates back to you either from the volunteer or destination shelter/rescue? I'm not super comfortable with the idea of a rescue dog free-riding due to the number of issues that can arise from that. 

Thank you! 

#relocation
    #TransfersandTransport
    #transport

• 2.  RE: Transport Crate Question

Posted 10-18-2019 01:29 PM

our shelter does this w/ smaller transports and we simply exchange crates. I.e. we'll take a transport of 40 kittens/cats and they'll let us know how many crates they are sending and we'll send OUR empty cat or dog crates (make sure to label with your shelters name) and we give them the empty clean crates and we'll just move the crates from one vehicle to the other. Not the best idea to try to move litters of kittens from one crate to another esp. if they are freaked out and try to make a run for it :)..... we generally take the felines during spring-fall and the crates just get alternated back and forth... 

#TransfersandTransport

• 3.  RE: Transport Crate Question

Posted 10-18-2019 02:15 PM

That is actually a nifty idea! Thank you! 

#TransfersandTransport