Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Kitten season late this year?

• 1.  Kitten season late this year?

Posted 04-23-2019 08:46 AM

We seem to be off to a late start here in central Virginia.. I can't decide if it's because we spayed/neutered them all last year (wishful thinking, hahaha! ) or if maybe the polar vortex or something wild with the weather, threw everything off. 

How is kitten season going for everyone else?

#CommunityCatManagement

• 2.  RE: Kitten season late this year?

Posted 04-23-2019 11:30 AM

Ours has also started off slow in NW Indiana, but we know it'll hit us like a bomb when it hits!  We're thinking it's due to the Polar Vortex and cold winter as well, but we won't know for sure until we have survived another kitten season!

#CommunityCatManagement

• 3.  RE: Kitten season late this year?

Posted 04-23-2019 12:00 PM

We have a few in foster care to get up to weight/age, but haven't seen the litters.......yet.

#CommunityCatManagement

• 4.  RE: Kitten season late this year?

Posted 04-23-2019 06:17 PM

We have on!y a few kittens so far.  It is later this year or, as you said, maybe they are all spay or neutured!

#CommunityCatManagement

• 5.  RE: Kitten season late this year?

Posted 04-24-2019 09:14 AM

I foster cats and kittens in NYC and there have been very few kitten pleas so far. On the one hand, it's great! On the other, I miss having some crazy kittens around. Winter seemed a little long this year and it's just recently started to really feel like spring. 

#CommunityCatManagement

• 6.  RE: Kitten season late this year?

Posted 04-10-2023 08:44 AM

We're off to a later start in Northern CA, too. Our local TNR groups have been working their butts off, so I think that's helping a lot, but last year was also a late kitten season. We didn't really have any until JUNE! And boy did they come flooding in after that. I feel like I'm holding my breath waiting for that first litter to trigger all of them. Fingers crossed that it's not too bad. Good luck to everyone! 

------------------------------
    Lisa Higbee
    Gift Processor
    Butte Humane Society

• 7.  RE: Kitten season late this year?

Posted 04-11-2023 08:48 AM

Hi, we are located in Montana.  We just started this week and have about 5 batches out in foster care.   Our fingers are crossed that its a steady trickle instead of a flood! 

Rebekah Wong
    Volunteer Coordinator
    Yellowstone Valley Animal Shelter

• 8.  RE: Kitten season late this year?

Posted 04-12-2023 07:48 AM

I'm in WNC and we have started to see them arrive. This week seems to be the launching point; we've gotten in a singleton weanling, a trio of neos, a mom with a handful of 2 days olds, and this morning we just got in a duo of neos. We have several smaller, private rescue groups in the area who we think have been taking the brunt so far as they are all filling up fast. Our winter was very mild with temps hovering in the upper 30's and lower 40's for the majority of it (save for the polar vortex) so I'm thinking it's going to be a rough year for us! 

Evie Schenkel
    Asheville Humane Society
    Asheville NC

• 9.  RE: Kitten season late this year?

Posted 04-12-2023 08:03 AM

Every year in SWVA I felt like kitten season started later and later but then NEVER ENDED. Last year we had tiny babies coming in around Thanksgiving! Right now the Center only has 1 litter of tinies with their mom and 2 litters that are close to adoption age. 

Marilyn Wheaton
    Client Services
    AnimalsFirst
    Leesburg VA

• 10.  RE: Kitten season late this year?

Posted 04-12-2023 08:29 AM

We're in CT and we have seen more pregnant cats than usual needing help this year, even had some throughout the winter. The winter for us had little snow and somewhat warmer weather. It's probably why there were more pregnant cats around earlier.  There have not been many orphan pleas yet just pregnant cats and moms with babies.

Karen Hunter
    Foster parent and board member
    Wells Calley Cat Rescue

• 11.  RE: Kitten season late this year?

Posted 04-13-2023 05:56 AM

That's somewhat funny because I was JUST thinking this too... and I'm in Southwest VA (Roanoke). So we're probably not too far apart! We have gotten almost no kittens yet this season, and it's the same at our public shelter in town (we get a lot of animals from them when they are full).

Our TNR program has spayed several pregnant cats already this year (33% of our TNR cats in 2023 so far), which is definitely more than we had in Feb/March last year. 

Like Marilyn (also VA) noted in her comment - Kitten season went late last year for us too, and we were still pretty full with kittens going into December (our 'last' litter of the season was actually born on Christmas). 

Erin Dams
    Roanoke Valley SPCA
    Roanoke VA

• 12.  RE: Kitten season late this year?

Posted 04-13-2023 09:16 PM

Definitely seeing a late start here in the greater Seattle, Washington region. But if this week is any indication it is starting.

Shelby Wade
    Shelter or rescue staff
    Homeward Pet Adoption Center

• 13.  RE: Kitten season late this year?

Posted 04-14-2023 08:00 AM

Yes, couldn't agree more! We are in Southern Indiana and have had only a few litters come in - definitely a trickle so far, not the flood we are used to. I'm certain it will hit and overwhelm us any day now, so we are enjoying the lull!

Vanessa Brown
    Foster Care Coordinator
    Vanderburgh Humane Society
    Evansville, IN
    812-426-2563, ext 210

• 14.  RE: Kitten season late this year?

Posted 04-15-2023 10:20 AM

It started early this year...or never really stopped. We have over 150 kittens through 3 rescues in our area all under 7 weeks old. Ours is a TNR focused group and we have around 60. 9 moms and only two are friendly, luckily the others come from well cared for colonies. We haven't had a chance to stop and check how many pregnant cats we fixed, but it is around 50 since January. We can't fix them fast enough.

Jenn

Jenn Capps
    ED
    Community Cat Support Network