Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Meet Founding Member Terri Duncan

Posted 01-18-2019 06:18 PM

@Terri Duncan
    Founder of Allie's Pals Cat Rescue
    Pleasanton, California

Tell us about you and your history in animal welfare.

TD: I'm a retired Southern grandma who's been in CA for almost 20 years. I got my start in cat rescue about 18 years ago when one of my daughters and I decided to foster a litter of bottle babies. We were hooked!

I ultimately went to work for a local vet, who taught me tons; that medical knowledge has been invaluable in assessing cats and kittens in the shelter and knowing what they needed to get them healthy and ready for new homes.

What are you most proud of in your career?

TD: I was privileged to work with Maddie's Fund for two years; my relationships with those I met within MF made me even more passionate about cat rescue, and inspired me to hold myself to a high standard. Maddie's Fund ultimately gifted Allie's Pals with a grant that got us on our feet and moving forward.

I'm also proud that my background in social services has given me insight into people that often helps me match them with the perfect cat!

Can you tell us more about Allie's Pals?

TD: Allie's Pals Cat Rescue is a dream about 15 years in the making. All of our members have extensive backgrounds in cat and kitten rescue, but we had in our hearts and minds that we wanted to create an organization that gave opportunities to the felines that weren't prime candidates for rescue "cherry picking". We wanted to be there for those cats and kittens that were left behind because they weren't "friendly enough", "healthy enough", or "young enough". In 2017, we adopted out over 300 cats and kittens, and we're on track to be successful with even more in 2018.

PLUS we wanted to work to build more healthy relationships between like-minded rescues so that we could pool our talents and strengths to better make a difference. Rescue work can unfortunately be very competitive, and we don't think egos should play a part when lives are at stake.

Lofty ideals, we know, but I had the privilege of working with Maddie's Fund for two years, and they gave me the encouragement and support that set us on a strong path. We will forever be in their debt for their grant that got us up and running! We're a small group, but growing and mighty!

Allie, by the way, is my 18 year old torti. My sweet girl has met and greeted every single foster cat that has come through my home over the years. She's our biggest fan and supporter!

Name something related to shelters & animal welfare that you are super passionate about and want others to learn about?

TD: After working with our local shelter workers for years, I'm deeply impressed with their dedication to the animals. I would really like more people to know just how fortunate we are in the Tri-Valley to have a shelter that goes above and beyond.

Who is your animal welfare crush?

This may sound like a cop out answer, but I'm super in awe of all the folks who work behind the scenes, literally one cat or kitten at a time.

AlliesPals.org

Thanks for the interview and all you do for the cats in the Tri-Valley!

#foundingmemberfeature
    #foundingmember
    #PeopleManagement
    #interview
    #catrescue
    #pleasanton
    #cats

• 2.  RE: Meet Founding Member Terri Duncan

Posted 01-19-2019 07:21 AM

Great job Terri starting a cat rescue!  And super cute logo too.   Thanks for what you do for the cats and kittens in your area.

Kim Kamins, Co-Founder, Fearless Kitty Rescue, Fountain Hills, Arizona

#PeopleManagement