Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Dog is throwing up brown smelly stuff with possibly worms in it

Posted 01-24-2020 08:10 PM

To try and make a long story sort of short, my 15-year-old dog has been throwing up off and on for over a week now. I've been bringing her to the vet multiple times and we've tried multiple diagnoses as well as medicines. Stuff to settle her stomach, to coat any possible ulcers, etc. X-rays and ultrasounds. Nothing showed anything too out of the ordinary, no tumors or anything like that.

She's not eating, barely drinking. I've been giving her Ensure per my vet's instructions and she seems to like it and handle it well.  

She hasn't thrown up for a few days, except today. She did this morning and again this evening. Tonight was right in front of me, it was a lot!  It was brown and smelly as usual, but there were four pills in it, three that I think are Cerenia (although I've stopped giving her them three days ago), but one I don't recognize at all. which I'm not sure what they could be. The only thing we can come up with is a different brand of gabapentin that she got over a month ago, but that wouldn't make sense.  Also, in it was what looks like small worms. I've seen these before when she's thrown up and assumed it was just food bits. But I took a closer look this time and I don't think it's food. The only thing I can think of is worms or possibly stomach or other internal organ linings???

I attached a picture of these "worms". Hopefully it doesn't gross anyone out, but I wanted to see if anyone possibly recognizes this? I got some "samples" and will be calling the vet tomorrow, hopefully they will be helpful.

I'm hoping this sounds and looks familiar to someone here, we could use some answers!

#PetHealthandNutrition
    #throwup
    #worms
    #dogs

• 2.  RE: Dog is throwing up brown smelly stuff with possibly worms in it

Posted 01-25-2020 05:34 AM

Sounds like you need to see a vet or emergency vet services ASAP. Definitely bring the worms and anything else you can find. Make sure your dog doesn’t get dehydrated. 

#PetHealthandNutrition

• 3.  RE: Dog is throwing up brown smelly stuff with possibly worms in it

Posted 01-25-2020 07:59 AM

I would contact my vet, or another vet right away.  She could get dehydrated, and she needs to get nutrition to stay in her.  I can only imagine how her tummy is feeling right now.

I hope they find out soon what is going on with your sweet girl, and wish her quick healing.

#PetHealthandNutrition