Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Question of the Week #34 - Helping Animals

• 1.  Question of the Week #34 - Helping Animals

Posted 02-11-2019 03:05 PM

What is your favorite thing you're working on to help save or improve animal lives?

#AnimalBehavior,TrainingandEnrichment
    #lifesaving
    #qotw
    #questionoftheweek

• 2.  RE: Question of the Week #34 - Helping Animals

Posted 02-11-2019 04:29 PM

Vaccination clinics!! We are going to start hosting low-cost vaccination clinics in parks near lower income housing areas in our town to try and target the populations who really need it. We're doing a 3 for $5 special where you can get a DHPP vaccine, microchip, and collar/tag pack for $5 each (total of $15). We won't make any money on the event, but it will be a great way to do community outreach and get some animals protected! 

• 3.  RE: Question of the Week #34 - Helping Animals

Posted 02-12-2019 12:29 PM

It may not get adoptions, but it can result in fewer animals entering your program...

• 4.  RE: Question of the Week #34 - Helping Animals

Posted 02-12-2019 01:59 PM

Exactly. Our hope is that through these low cost clinics we can do more outreach too on spay/neuter, helping people understand not to let their dogs run loose, etc. And even "you have puppies? Let us take them" since our shelter is not a free intake shelter. 

• 5.  RE: Question of the Week #34 - Helping Animals

Posted 02-12-2019 11:15 AM

We are launching our working Kat program which takes animals that would be slated for Euthanasia, we S/N ear tip, MC and release to barn homes :)

• 6.  RE: Question of the Week #34 - Helping Animals

Posted 02-12-2019 12:34 PM

Our group pays for s/n surgeries for cat owners who are interested in keeping their felines but cannot afford to have them fixed.  Sometimes it is only a small effort, maybe a few cats a month, but that helps prevent the calls of "my cat had kittens and I can't find homes for them", the frantic calls from our partner shelter of "we're overcrowded and facing tough choices".  And people know that we're interested in paying it forward.

• 7.  RE: Question of the Week #34 - Helping Animals

Posted 02-12-2019 01:57 PM

This is what we've been working towards as well but with dogs. We can only do 4-5 at a time but at least it's something!!! 

• 8.  RE: Question of the Week #34 - Helping Animals

Posted 02-12-2019 01:11 PM

Partnerships! 

Our mission is compassion, cooperation & commUNITY. We are a new organization but strongly believe that more can be accomplished when we work together. Our partnerships include working with other rescue & advocacy organizations, sharing resources and information, connecting smaller.rural shelters with more established groups, building relationships with professional resources. Animal welfare and rescue is not a competition. We can save more animals, prevent compassion fatigue and more effectively utilize resources when we collaborate for the greater good. NO KILL USA by 2025! <3

• 9.  RE: Question of the Week #34 - Helping Animals

Posted 02-12-2019 08:33 PM

I am working on making people aware of how awesome senior dogs are.

• 10.  RE: Question of the Week #34 - Helping Animals

Posted 02-13-2019 01:28 PM

We are currently bringing Lean Sig Sigma business practices into play to order to look at our LOS differently and hopefully shorten it!

• 11.  RE: Question of the Week #34 - Helping Animals

Posted 02-21-2019 11:14 AM

What is Lean Sig Sigma?

• 12.  RE: Question of the Week #34 - Helping Animals

Posted 02-13-2019 02:39 PM

I am working on Pet Pig Rescue, we currently have 14 pot bellies in care.  Finding homes for difficult to place animals is a great exercise in problem solving.  

• 13.  RE: Question of the Week #34 - Helping Animals

Posted 02-18-2019 08:37 AM

We are working on building a OneHealth health care system that will connect social service organization with animal welfare organizations and veterinary care providers to help those who face barriers to veterinary care.

• 14.  RE: Question of the Week #34 - Helping Animals

Posted 02-18-2019 05:57 PM

In the past I would volunteer to help animals in a local facility and hospitals and I have donated supplies and food to a selective agency. That’s when I was still part of a productive society. Now I am considered as disabled and I am in a situation that I have no family around . But I’m still willing to help whenever I can. 

• 15.  RE: Question of the Week #34 - Helping Animals

Posted 02-19-2019 01:16 PM

@Marialazarte82 I am disabled too so I'm not able to do a lot of things that I used to do (foster, volunteer at events, etc). But after finding a different rescue, I have been able to help with social media and listing our pets on various adoption sites. Maybe you can help with something like that? Rescues/shelters are always in need of the help for various things so I'm sure there is something you can help out, somehow.

• 16.  RE: Question of the Week #34 - Helping Animals

Posted 02-19-2019 09:06 PM

Hi!  I have been disabled for over 15 years & have found that fostering has been a wonderful way for me to give back to our community!  My husband & I foster kittens & bottle feed also.  Our shelter has been so wonderful to work with & if the weather is bad (during a hurricane) or I can't get out the day they have tiny babies, animal control officers have been gracious during those times and brought the babies to my home (bottle feeding every 2 hours is tough to handle in the shelter, not to mention the germs & viruses the tiniest of babies would be exposed to).  Most shelters have a need for fosters & if you are willing to work with them they may have volunteers (or staff) who can work with you to help with transportation of animals or provide whatever you may need in order to help them out...  Give them a call & see what you can work out...  You never know...

• 17.  RE: Question of the Week #34 - Helping Animals

Posted 02-23-2019 07:55 AM

We have struggled with dogs coming in that have long term medical needs.  To date we have made them permanent fosters but we can't keep loading up our foster homes with these dogs so we are looking to establish an assistance fund for part of their medical cost mainly around the medical issue that has made them hard to adopt or unadaptable.    Any help any group has had in doing something like this would be appreciated along with pros and cons.