Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Cat Foster Challenges?

Posted 03-04-2020 05:08 PM

What are some of the challenges your organization faces when finding foster homes for cats?

If you're a cat foster caregiver, what are some of the challenges you face with bringing a new foster cat home?

To help make the transition easier for everyone, explore this flash class on how fosters can set up their home in a way that creates a safe and inviting space during a typically stressful time for your foster cat.

#qotw
    #catfostering
    #questionoftheweek
    #FosterPrograms
    #fostering

• 2.  RE: Cat Foster Challenges?

Posted 03-05-2020 03:16 PM

We are in need of an experienced/patient foster home with no other pets, and have been for about 6 months. Not one person interested! Very frustrating, not sure what we can do differently. 

#FosterPrograms

• 3.  RE: Cat Foster Challenges?

Posted 03-09-2020 07:42 PM

Hi, Is it possible to ask another group if they have a foster home to spare? And maybe you could share something or someone with them (maybe a good website person or extra items or...)

Do your supporters/community understand the (completely truthful-about possible length of stay, emotional connections, etc.) details re: fostering? I know that I prefer to know the basics at least before I get more details about possible opportunities. Maybe a new former foster just moved into town...would it be possible to use a new foster but work with them more closely for this special case?

Praying that you find that special someone soon, Sarah

#FosterPrograms

• 4.  RE: Cat Foster Challenges?

Posted 03-06-2020 11:41 AM

I live in a one bedroom/one bath apartment in NYC with two small dogs, so space is limited. It's a bit a juggling act to have their litter, food and bed in the bathroom, but we've figured it out. And once they are allowed to mingle with the dogs, it gets a little easier. It just takes some trial and error and see what works best for you. 

#FosterPrograms

• 5.  RE: Cat Foster Challenges?

Posted 03-07-2020 03:05 PM

Our rescue organization has trouble just finding fosters, let alone adopters to take them. My average time for fostering is a few months. We do work with a local cat cafe, but there are way more cats than willing homes. We're a very small organization trying to cover a large area (the county). I am currently fostering an FIV+ cat we pulled from the shelter right before he was euthanized, but I expect him to be here a while. 

#FosterPrograms

• 6.  RE: Cat Foster Challenges?

Posted 03-10-2020 10:58 AM

The Million Cat Challenge website has several archived webinars about fostering (and a lot more!). Might be good review or resources for program development with kitten season upon us. 

https://www.millioncatchallenge.org/resources/webinars

#FosterPrograms

• 7.  RE: Cat Foster Challenges?

Posted 03-11-2020 01:20 PM

I wish there were more resources for adult cats. We focus on cats 1 year old or older, and that "middle age" population seems to be forgotten a lot. Kittens are popular, and seniors are getting more of the spotlight, and our 2 and 3 year olds are left in the dust.

#FosterPrograms