Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Feral cat return from shelter?

Posted 06-24-2019 09:22 AM

We have a mother cat who came in last May that is feral. She was in foster with her babies all this time and we are contemplating a working cat home or returning her to where she was originally from. Any ideas or research on how long a cat can be in care before it is deemed unsafe to return back to it's original area. 

#CommunityCatManagement
    #tnr
    #feralcats

• 2.  RE: Feral cat return from shelter?

Posted 06-24-2019 12:04 PM

We had the same situation recently.  The kittens were born in April and mom was put back in her colony (after being spayed, of course) about 2 weeks ago.  She seems to be doing very well.

#CommunityCatManagement

• 3.  RE: Feral cat return from shelter?

Posted 06-25-2019 06:11 AM

Cat guru extraordinarie Monica Frendan recently told me something she was told once and I apologize but I forget by whom....

If we were gone for 2 months, we wouldn’t forget where we live right?

Put mama back.

#CommunityCatManagement

• 4.  RE: Feral cat return from shelter?

Posted 06-25-2019 07:05 AM

Generally adult cats will be okay if returned to familiar surroundings after a length of time away, such as the time it takes to wean a litter of kittens. As long as there is still a source of food, water and shelter. Just make sure to inform the caretaker at the site that the cat will be returning and ask the caretaker to inform you if the situation is not working out for the cat. It is fairly common for feral moms to go back after being in care with their kittens, with no issues. But having the caretaker keep an open line of communication can help your peace of mind for those rare situations where there is an issue. 

#CommunityCatManagement