Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Ohh kittens!

Posted 10-28-2019 02:04 PM

Hi I recently started fostering 3, 6 week old kittens  (my second batch) and I've noticed that while yes they are using the litter box (not so good at covering stuff yet) their poop is VERY smelly. Like kick you in the face smelly! And it's very soft. I haven't had "kittens" in a while (I have 2 adult cats) and the previous fosters kittens poop was nothing like this. Is it something I should bring to the attention of the shelter caregivers? Or am I just being paranoid and overly cautious because they are cute little babies and I want them to have the best little kitten lives? Thanks!

#poop
    #smell
    #foster
    #PetHealthandNutrition
    #kittens

• 2.  RE: Ohh kittens!

Posted 10-29-2019 07:43 AM

If the poop is soft, maybe take a pic of it and ask the foster coordinator what they think. It could be nothing, but there are some illnesses that can make their poop smell particularly bad.

#PetHealthandNutrition

• 3.  RE: Ohh kittens!

Posted 10-30-2019 08:22 AM

It could be the change of environment that is stressing them out. I'd take a photo and send it to your foster coordinator. Poop is really important, especially in kittens, so I wouldn't worry about being overly cautious. 

#PetHealthandNutrition

• 4.  RE: Ohh kittens!

Posted 10-30-2019 12:09 PM

I agree you might as well double-check with your team to be safe!

I also attached the "poo color/texture summaries" from Kitten Lady's book Tiny but Mighty (all my kitten fosters get this info haha!). Note: even she comments that it's best to verify with your shelter vet!

#PetHealthandNutrition