Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  What tasks do volunteers do at your organization?

Posted 08-01-2019 09:24 AM

How is this going? Do you have any tasks that you're hoping to find volunteers to take on?

#qotw
    #gettinghelp
    #volunteers
    #questionoftheweek
    #PeopleManagement

• 2.  RE: What tasks do volunteers do at your organization?

Posted 08-01-2019 09:41 AM

My local shelter has volunteers do just about everything-- laundry, walking and socializing pets, teaching all kinds of classes, helping the foster program, issuing dog licenses and more! 

#PeopleManagement

• 3.  RE: What tasks do volunteers do at your organization?

Posted 08-01-2019 07:53 PM

our volunteer s do launfr, clean kennels, walk dogs.  The senior volunteers do adoptions and lost dogs walk throughs.  We do off site adoptions, take dogs to schools for reading programs, etc

#PeopleManagement

• 4.  RE: What tasks do volunteers do at your organization?

Posted 08-02-2019 12:25 PM

My rescue is totally volunteer run (so even leadership team including me are volunteers). I wish more people would take an interest in or semi-consistently help with... the not-animals side of things. We have a hard time even keeping volunteers that are willing to do social media posts -which is something kind of "fun" in my opinion! Also, thank you cards for donors... Working events like adoption events at a local pet store... supply pickups from donors... etc.

#PeopleManagement

• 5.  RE: What tasks do volunteers do at your organization?

Posted 08-05-2019 11:38 AM

I have heard the same thing from several rescues about getting help with social media. I always thought that being able to volunteer from home would make it easier to find help, but it doesn't seem to really work that way in practice. Is anyone else finding differently, and if so, how are you managing the volunteers? 

#PeopleManagement

• 6.  RE: What tasks do volunteers do at your organization?

Posted 08-13-2019 07:27 AM

Our volunteers can do almost anything floor staff can do. Cleaning, walking/socialization, helping potential adopters, showing animals, going on transports or offsite adoption events, even assisting in surgery prep. Pretty much the only things they don't help with are daily medications and doing adoptions, and that's mostly because we can't give them all software access. 

If they have any administrative roles volunteers help with I'm not aware, but that mostly happens at a different location.

#PeopleManagement