Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Helping Aggressive Rescue Dog Adjust

Posted 09-01-2019 06:29 PM

Hi everyone, I’m new here. I have just rescued a 3 year old lab mix. We just brought him home on Friday and I have some questions. I realize there is absolutely going to be an adjustment period and I need to give him love and patience through it, but I want to make sure I’m helping him as best I can. 

He’s aggressive when it comes to food/toys around our other dog. She’s 12 and she’s very gentle and submissive. He has snapped at her multiple times in the past few days that he’s been home. Likewise he snapped at my son for essentially startling him. 

We feed him separately from our other dog and make sure they don’t interact during meal times. We also have put up toys but were trying to engage him in play because he appeared playful, and he was playing with me (tug of war) when our other dog just happened to walk through the living room where we were playing. 

He also spends tons of time away in his kennel (door stays open for him at all times when we’re home) and he seems really sad. I did take him on a nice 2 mile walk today and he did really well. 

What can I do to help him adjust? How long should I let him stay away in his kennel before I start to worry? 

What can I do to best address the aggression? 

(I’ve contacted some trainers but in the mean time I want to make sure I’m doing everything I can) 

I’m no stranger to rescues this will be my third one but he’s proving to be a challenge. Admittedly the first two were very easy and had very few behavioral issues besides chewing which I was able to remedy. 

TIA, 

Trista

#aggression
    #PetBehaviorandTraining

• 2.  RE: Helping Aggressive Rescue Dog Adjust

Posted 09-02-2019 04:46 AM

Hi, I'm not a trainer so I can't give you technical expert advice but it sounds like you're doing everything right so far. And kudos to you for giving this pup the benefit of the doubt to see if there's a way to work it out. Something that might be worth checking out while waiting to speak with a trainer is a Netflix documentary (on itunes too) called 'Life in the Doghouse'. It's about a couple guys who rescue tons of dogs and it has a part in it where there's a new dog that joins the house of dogs that has similar snapping issues and they talk about getting dogs like this and what they do and how long it takes for them to come around (and sure enough this dog comes around in the film). To be clear, this part isn't the overall focus of the documentary, but it really opened my eyes seeing how confident they were that the snapping dog would come around with what they were doing (they did put a humane muzzle on the pup for a week or so until he had adjusted to his new life). If nothing else it might give you some comfort to see while you're waiting for advice from a trainer > plus it's a really fantastic, inspiring documentar).

I hope that helps a little.

#PetBehaviorandTraining

• 3.  RE: Helping Aggressive Rescue Dog Adjust

Posted 09-02-2019 08:15 PM

Thank you a ton! I will for sure be watching that! I need all the hope I can get right now. We did have a great day today, no snapping and he spent more time with us which made me hopeful. 

#PetBehaviorandTraining

• 4.  RE: Helping Aggressive Rescue Dog Adjust

Posted 09-02-2019 05:04 AM

Hi. Number one. Thank you for adopting him and for being willing to work with hin

it could take weeks for him to integrate into your family so don’t rush it and don’t push him.  Many  if our dogs come from sketchy backgrounds and we just don’t know why they respond as they do. 

separate feeding is excellent and will probably be the way to go forever 

never remove his food bowl until he walks away   Some people will leave it out in case he wants more later and to let him know that  there will always be food for him

no sharing of water bowls either. And keep toys separate for each dog

there are « games » to play to teach him about give and take. If you send me your email address I will send you thé link or a copy of the article

also in addition to his daily walk you might consider walking both dogs. But each dog gets their own handler/walker.  They can walk on the outside of their walker so they are farther apart but you will probably see them eventually walking side by side as they get more and more comfortable being together 

training is also a great way to get him integrated and to get him to feel part of the family.  I do not know his level of training.   

Does he do Sit Down Come Stay Paw Touch Leave It  Drop it.Place ?  All training is great to help  him interact with you and feel special as you have that one to one time. Plus it helps him think and gain confidence

you can also get puzzle toys/feeders to engage him.  Even leaving one in his crate with treats in it to occupy his mind

The mental activity will stimulate his mind and I think you will see a happier pup

i can send you training articles  

be consistent even if you train just 10 -15min a day.  

The consistency helps him also 

Once he gains confidence that he is accepted he will be happier and won’t hide in his crate but it is good that he finds the crate his safe place. I would be sure there is a comfortable bedding as well as his toys in the crate and maybe a puzzle toy also for stimulation 

good luck looking forward to sending you thé training articles and hearing about his progress 

#PetBehaviorandTraining

• 5.  RE: Helping Aggressive Rescue Dog Adjust

Posted 09-03-2019 08:32 AM

Everything you're doing sounds right to me (except do be careful with toys as they can also be a resource). Resource guarding often stems from anxiety, and staying in the crate a lot may also be an anxious behavior (he may feel safe in the crate, but hasn't gotten used to the rest of the house enough yet to be relaxed there). I've had fosters who started out resource guarding, but as they've settled in they've guarded less and less. I'd let him stay in his kennel for as long as he needs to and don't push him to interact. Pushing him will slow the adjustment process. He'll come around, but it'll be on his own time.

#PetBehaviorandTraining