Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Exciting announcement! Using data to save lives

Posted 02-23-2020 10:30 AM

Just wanted to announce that we're getting very close to implementing our pilot program to save lives using data science! I now have (fingers crossed) three national media organizations that want to cover it! Much more at our website, https://www.saveallthepets.org/ Feel free to reach out if you have any questions about it! This is the future of animal rescue!

#data
    #DataandTechnology

• 2.  RE: Exciting announcement! Using data to save lives

Posted 02-24-2020 09:28 AM

Excited to learn more about this!

#DataandTechnology

• 3.  RE: Exciting announcement! Using data to save lives

Posted 03-04-2020 07:01 PM

Thanks! I'd love to chat with you about it. Anyone can feel free to reach out to michael@saveallthepets.org

#DataandTechnology

• 4.  RE: Exciting announcement! Using data to save lives

Posted 02-25-2020 01:43 PM

Cool concept!  I love seeing more people in the animal welfare world doing data/research projects.  (Mine is: https://www.kitizenscience.org)

#DataandTechnology

• 5.  RE: Exciting announcement! Using data to save lives

Posted 02-26-2020 10:55 AM

Interesting concept that could prove to be quite useful. I am, however, concerned about mining shelter websites based on visual cues or a shelter's determination of "breed". As noted on your Methods page, your data mining will be most advantageous for those animal of "particular breed or mix". In most instances, those are the animals most easily adoptable or able to move into rescue (excluding bully types, which is a whole other kettle of fish.) Additionally, there is a movement to eliminate categorizing animals by breed because it sets unrealistic expectations for an adopter. Those visual cues are irrelevant. The information you'll gather will help determine how certain physical attributes such as size and age will move out of a shelter, but any contentious shelter is collecting that data now. So... are you re-inventing the wheel?

How does your measuring euthanasia rates relate directly to animals transported to another shelter? How do you factor in regional reasons for euthanasia rates increasing or decreasing?

You discuss moving animals from one shelter to another, and mention automated notification. What triggers that notification? Is this where selection by breed is used? What problem are you addressing that is not already being addressed by shelters who are currently in active transfer programs? 

I think this idea is exciting, but I would like more clarification on how not only clearer determination on 'breed", but also factors in moving animals, and how you specifically envision notification. 

#DataandTechnology

• 6.  RE: Exciting announcement! Using data to save lives

Posted 03-04-2020 07:00 PM

Hello! Happy to chat with you about this some time since there's a lot to address in your post. I will be feeding the images into a convolutional neural network that will tell me what the appearance of the animal is--short hair, long hair, curly hair, pointy ears, etc? Breed is less important but can also be determined.

Notification will be by email, app, or other automated methodology for those that sign up for our system. A company has offered to design the entire $120,000 system for free! :)

#DataandTechnology

• 7.  RE: Exciting announcement! Using data to save lives

Posted 03-04-2020 07:03 PM

And by the way, we're not mining websites. :) Like I said, happy to discuss further!

#DataandTechnology