Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Fostering in an apartment

Posted 06-05-2020 01:17 PM

Hey everyone! I'm moving to a new city in a month or two, and I would love to start fostering kittens when I do. I already have two cats, which seems to be the limit on all of the apartment complexes. Does anyone have advice on how the conversation should go with the landlord or been in a similar situation? Also, is there an easy way to see the laws regarding how many cats I'm allowed to have in my apartment? I've tried lots of unsuccessful google searches. Thanks!

#FosteringaPet

• 2.  RE: Fostering in an apartment

Posted 06-06-2020 05:36 AM

I think it is great that you are trying to follow the rules but I'm not sure you need to worry too much. Especially with kittens. Landlords put limits on the number of pets to prevent too many barking dogs (and complaining neighbors) and to keep pet damage to their units to a minimum. Since your neighbors probably won't complain and foster kittens are temporary, as long as you keep them in a space where they can't do too much damage when unsupervised, I think you can just go ahead with it.

I used to live in a trailer park for a while and had a mom dog and her litter of 8 puppies along with our two dogs and no one around me even knew!

#FosteringaPet

• 3.  RE: Fostering in an apartment

Posted 06-06-2020 07:57 AM

I am currently fostering in a rental unit, although my unit is a 4 bedroom cottage in a pet friendly rental community.  I was upfront with management about fostering, laid down a waterproof rug pad covering entire room and put foam tile flooring on top of that.  Easy cleaning!  Offered to pay an additional $10/month pet fee and was approved.  If you do not clear with management you are at risk of being evicted if they are super strict.  Try being upfront about how long the kittens will stay.  Maintenance is in my unit a few times a year, so easy for them to figure out if I am breaking the rules.  Good luck!

#FosteringaPet