Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Coccidia Issues

Posted 05-29-2018 05:40 AM
    We are having a very high level of coccidia this season. We have traditionally used Albon, but have had a kitten pass away mid-treatment. We have been using Ponazuril recently, but we have to get it dispensed from our vet and it is much more expensive (and we have to wait for them to fill the rx). I have heard of other shelters using a horse version of Ponazuril on intake, and was very curious as to what other shelters / rescues do.   Do you preemptively treat for Coccidia?   Do you use Albon, Ponazuril, or something else?   If you use a higher concentration or off-label Ponazuril, what are your formulas to calculate the appropriate dosage?   Thank you!
    #coccidia
    #ponazuril
    #Medicine,SurgeryandSterilization
    #treatment
    #albon

• 2.  RE: Coccidia Issues

Posted 05-29-2018 08:20 AM

This probably isn't much help. We don't see a lot of coccidia around here.  This kitten season (thus far) it's been all giardia.  When we do treat coccidia, we use Albon, 'cause the formulation we get is custard-flavored and they usually like the taste--unlike metronidazole!

I know that the Humane Society of Silicon Valley treats with ponazuril because I apprenticed there last summer--I think they do it pre-emptively but I don't quite recall.  I think coccidia is more common in some areas than others.  I don't know if any of the HSSV folks are on the forum, though, to answer for themselves.

Remember that you can ALWAYS calculate your own concentration using the following formula:

how many mLs I want to use per dose / how many mLs I need to dilute

=

how many mg is needed per dose / my supply mg

Your unknown is the "how many mLs I need to dilute", so cross multiply and solve for the unknown.

Ex:

I want to dose a kitten with 0.2 mL of some medicine.  I know the dosage is 10 mg/kg and my kitten is 1 kg.  My supply is 100 mg.

So, 0.2 mL/ x mL

=

10 mg / 100 mg

0.2 X 100

=

10 x

so

20 = 10 x

so

20/10=x

so

2=x

I need to dilute my supply of 100 mg with 2 mL of liquid to create a new supply that will provide, in 0.2 mL, 10 mg of meds.

Hopefully that made sense.

• 3.  RE: Coccidia Issues

Posted 05-30-2018 10:06 AM

Thank you so much for your response! 

• 4.  RE: Coccidia Issues

Posted 05-29-2018 10:22 AM

Hello,

Many shelters will give a preemptive treatment as part of intake. Here is a link to some Maddie’s talks that could be useful for your org: 

http://www.maddiesfund.org/topic-medical-health-and-wellness-disease-conditions-coccidiosis.htm

• 5.  RE: Coccidia Issues

Posted 05-30-2018 10:07 AM

Thank you so much for your response! 

• 6.  RE: Coccidia Issues

Posted 06-27-2018 07:33 PM

Our rescue uses Baycox aka Toltrazuril. It is less expensive, but tastes foul to cats and kittens in particular.

• 7.  RE: Coccidia Issues

Posted 11-27-2018 02:47 PM

Have you found a "nicer" way to administer Baycox?  I feel horrible giving this to cats!

• 8.  RE: Coccidia Issues

Posted 08-09-2018 07:39 PM

We have had quicker cures and found that Marquis Paste is more effective and cost effective. 

• 9.  RE: Coccidia Issues

Posted 08-10-2018 08:58 AM

I used to work at a rescue that also used marquis paste. 1 dose, 3 days in a row, I believe. I think it’s the stuff for horses had to be diluted, but I don’t know how they did it.