Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  ED of shelter administering euthanasia?

Posted 08-27-2018 06:14 PM

Hi Folks,

I am an incoming shelter ED and am wondering whether it is typical for an ED to be trained to perform euthanasias. There are several reasons I think it would be beneficial for me to be a part of the rotation. Is there some compelling reason an ED should stay removed from it? Thanks.

Chad

#Medicine,SurgeryandSterilization
    #euthanasia

• 2.  RE: ED of shelter administering euthanasia?

Posted 08-28-2018 11:31 AM

One No Kill shelter director I interviewed said that she takes responsibility to make the euthanasia decision herself, and that she spends a substantial amount of her time in thoroughly investigating every case before deciding whether euthanasia should be the outcome. If I were a shelter worker I would expect the director to make the final call in euthanasia cases, after very careful consideration. I don't think I would expect the director to actually perform euthanasias, because it is a skill and sometimes it's not easy to find a vein -- so it is better for the animals, in my opinion, to have someone with regular experience at drawing blood and giving intravenous injections to do the actual euthanasia.

#Medicine,SurgeryandSterilization