Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Finding ideal adopter(s) for deaf kittens

Posted 05-01-2022 06:00 PM

Hello all! I'm looking for some insight on a situation our rescue has never encountered before. At the end of March, one of our pregnant mamas gave birth to 6 kittens, one being solid white and another being solid white with a small orange spot on her head. 
    My initial fear when they were born was what if they have blue eyes!?! They're a little over 6wks old now and both do have blue eyes. 

Their foster mama has done 2 noise tests now including starting the vacuum and turning on a hair dryer. I've attached a picture of their reaction to the hair dryer and they were sitting right next to foster when she turned it on. The other 4 kittens took off scrambling back to their playpen by mama kitty and these 2 white kittens had no reaction whatsoever aside from looking at their siblings in confusion as to why they took off like they did. 

Our collective thought is that we should adopt them out as a bonded pair as they have been inseparable since birth and both show definite signs of either very hard of hearing or most likely are deaf.

My questions are should we adopt them out as a bonded pair, which can be hard to confirm at their young age, but like I stated, have always been side by side since birth.

How do we go about ensuring their future adopters home environment is safe and equipped to add deaf kittens to the home?
    What information do we provide adopters on what an ideal home looks like for deaf kittens?
    Are there other medical things we should look at that coincide with this gene mutation resulting in being deaf?

We obviously want to find the perfect home and humans that can properly care for and provide a safe environment for these two little girls! Any input and information would be greatly appreciated as we have many people interested in them, but we need to have the conversation with them about them being deaf. Thanks in advance! Pictures attached is of Amelia and Victoria!

#AdoptionsandAdoptionPrograms
    #PetSupportServices*

------------------------------
    Tracy Hanson
    Ellie's Legacy Pet Rescue

• 2.  RE: Finding ideal adopter(s) for deaf kittens

Posted 05-02-2022 01:22 AM
    I might be naive.... I think a deaf dog is much more problematic than deaf cats.  First I would look for an indoor-only home, with the understanding that any catio for them would need serious sun protection (for their ears).  I would say older children--youngsters old enough to understand not to startle the cats--and maybe no dog?  or a low-key, already cat-friendly dog.  I wouldn't want Fido to have his ears boxed and nose bloodied because he startled them.

I'm interested to hear what other precautions people suggest.

Good luck!

April King
    Volunteer and Board Member
    Kotor Kitties

• 3.  RE: Finding ideal adopter(s) for deaf kittens

Posted 05-02-2022 07:24 AM
    Thank you so much for your thoughts and input, I greatly appreciate it! It does state in our contract that our kitties are to be indoor pets only, although I know we have no way of enforcing or monitoring that after adoption. 

I'm going to share your insight with these beautiful babies foster mama/board member!

Thanks again!

Tracy Hanson
    Ellie's Legacy Pet Rescue

• 4.  RE: Finding ideal adopter(s) for deaf kittens

Posted 05-02-2022 06:26 AM
    Gentle reminder that an "ideal home" can look a heckuva lot of ways.
    I say send them home with the first person or person who wants to give them a home, and then turn around and find homes for more animals!

Emily Wood
    Director
    Broward County Animal Care
    Fort Lauderdale FL