Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Webcast: Maddie's Candid Conversation with Dr. Michael J. Blackwell

• 1.  Webcast: Maddie's Candid Conversation with Dr. Michael J. Blackwell

Posted 10-12-2021 02:14 PM

Updated 11/11/21 at 12:45pm PDT --  Recording Now Available!

-------------- Original Post -------------------------------
    Please join us on Wednesday, November 10th for an open, informal 60-minute conversation and Q+A with Dr. Michael J. Blackwell, DVM, MPH.

This was recorded on Wednesday, November 10, 2021 at 12n Pacific / 3pm Eastern (64 minutes)

As the Director of the Program for Pet Health Equity, College of Social Work, at the University of Tennessee, Dr. Blackwell's self-professed mission is to improve access to veterinary care, especially for families with limited means. He also chairs the Access to Veterinary Care Coalition.

In this talk with Maddie's Fund Executive Leadership Team member @Mary Ippoliti-Smith, Dr. Blackwell reflects on growing up in the segregated south and his eye-opening moment when the critical connection between humans and animals became his life calling. 

Dr. Blackwell made history as the first veterinarian to be appointed chief of staff for the Office of the Surgeon General. His professional accomplishments, which span private practice, public health, and education, exemplify the vital roles of veterinarians in society.

His numerous awards and recognitions - among them the U.S. Public Health Service Distinguished Service Medal (which is the highest personal honor award) - include Maddie's Fund's' 2020 Avanzino Leadership Award for his outstanding dedication to the human-animal bond.

Continue the conversation with Dr. @Michael Blackwell  right here on Maddie's Pet Forum!

Dr. Blackwell portrait

#AccesstoCare
    #CommunityPartnerships*
    #Diversity,Equity,InclusionandJustice

------------------------------
    alison gibson
    ------------------------------​​​​​

• 2.  RE: Webcast: Maddie's Candid Conversation with Dr. Michael J. Blackwell

Posted 10-15-2021 11:02 AM
    This is going to be amazing. Thank you, Maddies and Dr. Blackwell!

Monica Frenden-Tarant
    Maddie's® Director of Feline Lifesaving
    American Pets Alive!

• 3.  RE: Webcast: Maddie's Candid Conversation with Dr. Michael J. Blackwell

Posted 11-10-2021 01:08 PM
    Are there any opportunities for 4th year externships with AlignCare (or similar organizations) for DVM/MPH candidates?  I'm specifically interested in using my MPH in the research/development around access to veterinary care.

Elizabeth Hinz
    UW-Madison School of Veterinary Medicine

• 4.  RE: Webcast: Maddie's Candid Conversation with Dr. Michael J. Blackwell

Posted 11-10-2021 01:41 PM
    Hi Elizabeth.

We are working to make opportunities available for veterinary students. A few have already worked with us.

There is so much to learn about underserved families, i.e., population research. Your MPH is the type of training that will help you to be effective as you work with others to find solutions.

Contact us at ppheweb@utk.edu

Best wishes.

Michael

Michael J Blackwell, DVM, MPH, FNAP
    Assistant Surgeon General, USPHS (Ret.)
    Director, Program for Pet Health Equity
    Center for Behavioral Health Research
    https://pphe.utk.edu

• 5.  RE: Webcast: Maddie's Candid Conversation with Dr. Michael J. Blackwell

Posted 11-10-2021 01:22 PM
    Does Align Care make their model available to share with others in the field doing similar work? What resources are available? 

-------------------
    Dr. Jen Stonequist

Director of Shelter Medicine
    Kitsap Humane Society

Mindful Vet Med
    www.mindfulvetmed.com

Jen Stonequist
    Kitsap Humane Society

• 6.  RE: Webcast: Maddie's Candid Conversation with Dr. Michael J. Blackwell

Posted 11-10-2021 01:48 PM
    Hi Dr. Stonequist.

Thank you for attending the Conversation and asking your question.

AlignCare is intended to be most/all communities, through time. Interested communities can contact us at ppheweb@utk.edu for more information. We will be happy to chat with your team.

Best wishes.

• 7.  RE: Webcast: Maddie's Candid Conversation with Dr. Michael J. Blackwell

Posted 11-10-2021 01:25 PM

I work in the policy space and have been considering how to address access to veterinary care through that lens. I understand the profession is cautious about change, so I'm wondering what in your experience are the top barriers to reaching families that can be addressed through a policy or regulation change?

Jessica Simpson
    Humane Society of the United States

• 8.  RE: Webcast: Maddie's Candid Conversation with Dr. Michael J. Blackwell

Posted 11-10-2021 02:05 PM
    Hi Jessica.

Thanks for the question. Public policy is an area I particularly like because it defines the "rules of engagement", i.e., how we get things done.

Opportunities exist in many spaces. A few examples:
    • incentives (tax laws, education debt forgiveness programs, and other financial incentives).
    • Policies around a One Health system approach to providing healthcare. Redefining public and private organization missions.
    • Adjusting current social safety net programs to be in line with where our society is today, i.e., mostly households with pets that are considered members of the family. Given the heavy lift of changing laws to make pets non-property, it is the policy space that we can progress is most likely.
    We have to build new systems and that requires new and/or amended public policies, and ultimately, laws.

I hope this answers your question. Feel free to reach out to chat and brainstorm ideas. You can contact me at mblackw1@utk.edu.

Michael

• 9.  RE: Webcast: Maddie's Candid Conversation with Dr. Michael J. Blackwell

Posted 11-11-2021 12:41 PM
    The post has been updated with the recording of the Candid Conversation with Dr. Blackwell. If you missed it yesterday, I highly recommend it. It's a "must see" with some insightful discussions after the presentation!

Kim Domerofski (she/her)
    Community Manager
    Maddie's Fund

• 10.  RE: Webcast: Maddie's Candid Conversation with Dr. Michael J. Blackwell

Posted 11-15-2021 12:31 PM
    Thank you, Dr. Blackwell, for your inspiring life example and innovative thinking!  

After a decades-long break from animal welfare work, I re-engaged in 2018 to start the first spay-neuter program in the small Balkan country of Montenegro....from my home in Seattle.  The initial organizing, messaging, and email work I did I called "kitty social work",  because even dealing with street animals, it's all about the relationships they have with the people who feed and care for them.  They are family!  As we developed our website and had to articulate our work for the world, our team changed the name to "Community Connections," but the sentiment is still the same:  our project is about the animals AND the people who care for them.  Then I stumbled onto your work, Maddie's Fund, and HASS, and realized I'm not alone in trying to work this out, keep families together, and support the families that these animals are a well-loved part of.

Thank you again!

April King
    Volunteer and Board Member
    Kotor Kitties

• 11.  RE: Webcast: Maddie's Candid Conversation with Dr. Michael J. Blackwell

Posted 11-16-2021 07:31 AM
    Hi April.

Thank you much for sharing your story. Your approach is what is needed, i.e., a focus on people, pets/animals, and their ecosystem (One Health).

Community Connections says a lot.

There is a force that places different groups on the same mission. There is joy when we meet one another.

Nice to meet you, April.

Michael