Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Shelter and Rescue Support Call - Monday, 1/10/22 - Writing to Engage the Audience, Improving Transports

• 1.  Shelter and Rescue Support Call - Monday, 1/10/22 - Writing to Engage the Audience, Improving Transports

Posted 01-10-2022 09:06 AM

Updated post with call recording and chat log at 1:20PM Pacific on 1/10/22

Agenda

Session One:  Humans understand and engage with the world through stories. Our brains are hard-wired to use narrative as the primary mode for processing ideas. Stories about animals are especially poignant and resonant. That means animal shelters and rescues are perfectly poised to capture the public's attention—and engage people with the work you do. But what's the best way to do that? @Arin Greenwood will walk you through some ways to find, develop, and share the stories that will engage the public and the media in your work and your pets.

Session Two:  After viewing the Pethealth national data, we know that transports were down in 2021. Join the conversation with an amazing group of panelists, that have created solutions to difficult challenges, and are working in the thick of it when it comes to transport programs. We will be discussing what drives their innovative work, improving transport partnerships, and their vision for the future. Whether you're a source or destination partner, or function as both- you don't want to miss this critical conversation as we delve into the reality of transport programs, how we can evolve and strengthen, and recharge for this upcoming year.

----------Original Post-----------

Here's the agenda from this morning's Shelter & Rescue Leadership call. This post will be updated with the call recording this afternoon. 

National Update: Right before the new year NACA issued a statement that outlines the many benefits to pets and the people who love them when animal service agencies take the necessary steps to assess each situation individually, match the needs with the appropriate course of care, and work towards case management for all non-emergency intake. Our statement is centered around Appointment Based intakes and though this practice has been around for quite some time and for some is nothing "new", we felt compelled to create a statement to help organizations who are looking to implement.

Session One: Humans understand and engage with the world through stories. Our brains are hard-wired to use narrative as the primary mode for processing ideas. Stories about animals are especially poignant and resonant. That means animal shelters and rescues are perfectly poised to capture the public's attention-and engage people with the work you do. But what's the best way to do that?  @Arin Greenwood will walk you through some ways to find, develop, and share the stories that will engage the public and the media in your work and your pets.

Session Two: After viewing the Pethealth national data, we know that transports were down in 2021. Join the conversation with an amazing group of panelists, that have created solutions to difficult challenges, and are working in the thick of it when it comes to transport programs. We will be discussing what drives their innovative work, improving transport partnerships, and their vision for the future. Whether you're a source or destination partner, or function as both- you don't want to miss this critical conversation as we delve into the reality of transport programs, how we can evolve and strengthen, and recharge for this upcoming year.

Speaker Panel:

Carrie Boynton, Executive Director, Animal Adoption Center, Jackson, WY

@Jeanine Foucher, Executive Director, Acadiana Animal Aid, Carencro, LA

Heather Hall: Founder, The Underground Dog, Presidio, TX

@Jess Bridges: Highway to Home Coordinator, Gloucester-Matthews Humane Society, Gloucester, VA

#AdoptionsandAdoptionPrograms
    #FosterPrograms
    #MarketingandSocialMedia
    #TransfersandTransport

------------------------------
    Kim Domerofski (she/her)
    Community Manager
    Maddie's Fund
    ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

• 2.  RE: Shelter and Rescue Support Call - Monday, 1/10/22 - Writing to Engage the Audience, Improving Transports

Posted 01-10-2022 09:24 AM
    I am so sorry I missed this call! looking forward to hearing about the transport discussion and what folks had to say.

Kristen Hassen
    American Pets Alive!

• 3.  RE: Shelter and Rescue Support Call - Monday, 1/10/22 - Writing to Engage the Audience, Improving Transports

Posted 01-10-2022 09:27 AM

Thanks, all for attending today and special thanks to the speakers! If you're a destination organization that accepts transports in, the HASS Supply & Demand group would love to hear from you. Your transport challenges, solutions you have implemented, or both-- please fill out this short link here and we will contact you soon to set up a time to interview you:

Destination Partner Organization Interview

Clare Callison
    American Pets Alive

• 4.  RE: Shelter and Rescue Support Call - Monday, 1/10/22 - Writing to Engage the Audience, Improving Transports

Posted 01-10-2022 02:00 PM
      |   view attached
    A huge thank you to the 144 attendees on the first Monday Shelter & Rescue Support call of 2022! I've added the call recording and links shared on the call to this post. I'm also attaching the chat log. 

If you were on the call today or last Friday, you heard Mary's big announcement -- we're giving away money 💰 to some lucky call attendees! At the end of the month, there will be a drawing  where we'll give away $5,000 for the Monday call and $5,000 for the Friday call. It's a completely randomized drawing so that may mean we'll give away one $5,000 grant, or two $2,500 grants or ten $500 grants.  How do you get your name in the hat each month???🤑 You have to join a call live or watch it on demand and then fill out the entry giveaway form (hint:  the link to that form is shared in the updated post above).  Good luck!!

And finally, in Mary's welcome message this morning, she asked us to share our lessons learned from 2021. Is there anything you learned from 2021 that you'd like to share? For me personally, I learned that it's not possible for me to be too flexible, too adaptive, or too open to change. And my life is much easier if I pivot quickly and accept changes as they happen!  

What life lesson did 2021 teach you?

Kim Domerofski (she/her)
    Community Manager
    Maddie's Fund

Attachment(s)

docx
    Monday 1.10.22 chat.docx   189 KB 1 version