Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Maddie's Candid Conversation with Dr. Lila Miller, Tuesday, 8/24/21 at 12pm Pacific

• 1.  Maddie's Candid Conversation with Dr. Lila Miller, Tuesday, 8/24/21 at 12pm Pacific

Posted 07-22-2021 09:08 AM

Dr. Lila Miller  is known as the mother of shelter medicine and throughout her career, she’s forged bold, new paths for veterinarians and especially for women of color.  She’s won many awards and acclamations, not the least of which is our 2021 Avanzino Leadership Award.  Watch the recording of our recent conversation with Dr. Miller where she talks not only about her amazing achievements, but also her unique perspective on the role of DEI in animal welfare.

In 1977, Dr. Lila Miller ( @Lila Miller ) was one of the first two African American women to ever graduate from Cornell University's College of Veterinary Medicine. In a career spanning 42 years, Dr. Miller transformed the lives of countless pets, developing the first veterinarian-written guidelines for shelter animal care, which are now used in shelters across the country to ensure the humane treatment of shelter pets. Throughout, she's educated a generation of students about issues shelters face and has paved the way for women of color in veterinary medicine.

As the recipient of the 2021 Avanzino Leadership Award for her innovative work in the field of veterinary shelter medicine, it is no wonder she is the mother of shelter medicine. A proclamation of Dr. Lila Miller Shelter Medicine Day was declared for July 10, 2021. Recognition of Dr. Miller, this day and the Avanzino Leadership Award was received from U.S. Senator Charles E. Schumer, U.S. Representative Tom Reed, New York Governor Andrew M. Cuomo, New York State Assemblywoman Deborah Glick, New York City Mayor's office, City of Ithaca Mayor Svante Myrick, and Manhattan Borough President Gale Brewer. I've attached the proclamations to this post in case you'd like to check them out.  

Picture of Dr. Miller Shelter Medicine Day July 10th, 2021 in Times Square

#Diversity,Equity,InclusionandJustice
    #Medicine,SurgeryandSterilization

------------------------------
    alison gibson
    ------------------------------​​

• 2.  RE: Maddie's Candid Conversation with Dr. Lila Miller, Tuesday, 8/24/21 at 12pm Pacific

Posted 08-24-2021 01:33 PM
    What an absolute treasure our field has in Dr. Lila Miller. An amazing Candid Conversation session, rich in history and personal stories. I could listen to her all day!! I hope everyone will take the time to watch the recording and comment here on the Maddie's Pet Forum and ask Dr. Miller questions and share comments. 

Thank you so very much Lila!!

Sharon Fletcher

• 3.  RE: Maddie's Candid Conversation with Dr. Lila Miller, Tuesday, 8/24/21 at 12pm Pacific

Posted 08-25-2021 07:17 AM
    Dr. Miller is amazing! Learning about her experiences and challenges is eye-opening. She is really someone to admire and be thankful for.

Jordana Moerbe

• 4.  RE: Maddie's Candid Conversation with Dr. Lila Miller, Tuesday, 8/24/21 at 12pm Pacific

Posted 08-25-2021 09:58 AM
    Thank you Jordana.  I hope some parts of my story can help others struggling with obstacles and difficult decisions.

Lila Miller
    N/A

• 5.  RE: Maddie's Candid Conversation with Dr. Lila Miller, Tuesday, 8/24/21 at 12pm Pacific

Posted 08-25-2021 07:52 PM
    Your talk really hit home how big and small barriers can make a difference for animals and people. Imagine if you hadn't kept on keeping on, and are keeping on still, how much more suffering animals would have gone through before someone else might have done what you did for shelter medicine.  And as you made clear, we all still have work to do to remove those barriers.

Augusta Farley

• 6.  RE: Maddie's Candid Conversation with Dr. Lila Miller, Tuesday, 8/24/21 at 12pm Pacific

Posted 08-27-2021 06:54 AM
    Thanks Augusta
    It is encouraging to see how people are starting to really see the challenges and working to come up with solutions. Part of my struggle was the feeling at times that I was the only one who saw the problem.#

Lila Miller
    N/A

• 7.  RE: Maddie's Candid Conversation with Dr. Lila Miller, Tuesday, 8/24/21 at 12pm Pacific

Posted 08-25-2021 11:23 AM
    Hi Dr. Miller,

Being highly allergic to cats myself, how did you manage your allergies (if it's not too personal)?

Thank you so much for sharing your incredible story!!

Irene

Irene Chansawang
    Maddie's Fund

• 8.  RE: Maddie's Candid Conversation with Dr. Lila Miller, Tuesday, 8/24/21 at 12pm Pacific

Posted 08-25-2021 03:22 PM
    Hi Irene
    I was lucky the doctors were wrong. I never developed a serious allergy to dogs and cats as they predicted. I was highly allergic to horses-just being in their vicinity or being near someone who had been near a horse would trigger an asthma attack. Luckily, it is easy to avoid horses in NYC! There was a stress component to my asthma also-a few years after leaving Ithaca I only have occasional asthma attacks now, and the inhalant medications to manage asthma are so much better than they were when I was suffering with it.

Lila Miller
    N/A

• 9.  RE: Maddie's Candid Conversation with Dr. Lila Miller, Tuesday, 8/24/21 at 12pm Pacific

Posted 08-26-2021 10:30 AM
    @Lila Miller, we received some additional feedback about your presentation on our MPF site feedback button that I'd like to share with you. 😊

"Dr. Miller, I enjoyed listening to your story and perspective. I am proud to say I worked with you at the ASPCA. You are inspirational"
    - Steven Hansen, Exec. Director, Arizona Humane Society​

"This was a very informative, eye-opening and inspiring presentation. Bless you Dr. Lila Miller!"
    - @Julie Townsend, Humane Society of West Michigan​

Kim Domerofski (she/her)
    Community Manager
    Maddie's Fund

• 10.  RE: Maddie's Candid Conversation with Dr. Lila Miller, Tuesday, 8/24/21 at 12pm Pacific

Posted 08-26-2021 07:16 PM
    Thank you Steve and Julie for your kind comments
    Lila

On Thu, Aug 26, 2021 at 1:31 PM, Kim Domerofski via Maddie's Pet Forum
    @Lila Miller, we received some additional feedback about your presentation on our MPF site feedback button that I'd like to share with you. �� ...
    Maddie's Pet Forum

Animal Welfare Professionals

Post New Discussion Post New Discussion via Email
    Manage Account Information
    Re: Maddie's Candid Conversation with Dr. Lila Miller, Tuesday, 8/24/21 at 12pm Pacific
    Reply to Discussion Reply to Discussion via Email Reply Privately to Author Reply Privately to Author via Email
    Aug 26, 2021 10:30 AM
    Kim Domerofski
    @Lila Miller, we received some additional feedback about your presentation on our MPF site feedback button that I'd like to share with you. ��

"Dr. Miller, I enjoyed listening to your story and perspective. I am proud to say I worked with you at the ASPCA. You are inspirational"
    - Steven Hansen, Exec. Director, Arizona Humane Society

"This was a very informative, eye-opening and inspiring presentation. Bless you Dr. Lila Miller!"
    - @Julie Townsend, Humane Society of West Michigan

Kim Domerofski (she/her)
    Community Manager
    Maddie's Fund
      Reply to Discussion   Reply to Discussion via Email   Reply Privately to Author   Reply Privately to Author via Email   View Thread   Like   Forward   Flag as Inappropriate  

You are receiving this message because you followed the 'Maddie's Candid Conversation with Dr. Lila Miller, Tuesday, 8/24/21 at 12pm Pacific' message thread. To unsubscribe from this message thread, go to Unsubscribe.

Update your email preferences to choose the types of email you receive

Unsubscribe from all participation emails

Original Message:
    Sent: 8/26/2021 1:30:00 PM
    Subject: RE: Maddie's Candid Conversation with Dr. Lila Miller, Tuesday, 8/24/21 at 12pm Pacific

@Lila Miller, we received some additional feedback about your presentation on our MPF site feedback button that I'd like to share with you. 😊

- Steven Hansen, Exec. Director, Arizona Humane Society​

- @Julie Townsend, Humane Society of West Michigan​

Kim Domerofski (she/her)
    Community Manager
    Maddie's Fund