Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  What are your legal barriers to community cat programming?

Posted 08-31-2021 09:52 AM
    Hi all,

What are your biggest legal barriers to implementing or running a successful community cat program? 
    What would you need to overcome them?

Ordinances? Pet limit laws? Feeding bans?
    #CommunityCatManagement
    #LawsandPublicPolicy

------------------------------
    Monica Frenden
    American Pets Alive

• 2.  RE: What are your legal barriers to community cat programming?

Posted 09-02-2021 05:07 PM
    Hi Monica,

Cathy Houde here from Pet Alliance of Greater Orlando.  I run the TNVR program which we launched in 2018. While we are supported by our county government shelter, I am trying to persuade them to stop giving into the public making nuisance calls about cats.  As county enforcement they must comply with the request but it makes so much of an issue when I keep asking them to just educate and provide humane deterrents.  They stopped giving out traps during COVID and liked it!  I want to find a way to take that part of the county ordinance out.  I have become the mediator and so they send their trouble cases to me to talk them off the ledge.  I just want the public to not have the option to complain and get a trap.  It infuriates the trappers going out and doing all the hard work.  How can we list cats as part of the natural environment and sell it to the powers that be?

Cathy Houde

• 3.  RE: What are your legal barriers to community cat programming?

Posted 09-03-2021 08:24 AM
    Hi Cathy,

Have you read the ordinance to see what it ACTUALLY mandates? So often we assume we "have to" do something or the other, when we really don't. I'd be happy to take a look at it and run it past the legal folks in our HASS Community Cat Workgroup, too.

Monica Frenden
    American Pets Alive