Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Community Intervention?

Posted 06-14-2021 04:39 AM
    Hi, folks,

Someone reached out to me with a query about how to solve community disputes re neighbors and their pets. We know that talking to neighbors about their pets is one piece of advice, but we're looking for an alternative to policing/ACOs when tensions are a bit high already. Has anyone used a trained community mediator when there are complaints of loose or barking dogs, for example? How would you start with that idea?

Do you have other ideas before escalating to code violations? This is our chance to de-escalate community tension and help people keep pets in their homes.

Augusta Farley
    #EducationandTraining
    #FieldServicesandPublicSafety*
    #Diversity,Equity,InclusionandJustice
    #PeopleManagement(includingVolunteerIntegration)
    #ReturntoHome(LostPetReunification)

------------------------------
    Augusta Farley

• 2.  RE: Community Intervention?

Posted 06-14-2021 05:44 PM
    Aloha Augusta. We have long referred nuisance complainants to a local nonprofit that offers free or low-fee mediation services, but we find people generally do not want to talk to their neighbors, they want us to "fix" the issue. So we are looking at amending our local animal ordinance so that a complainant would have to pursue mediation first. We would only investigate if mediation failed or the party who was the subject of the complaint refused to participate in mediation. Our draft is a work in progress, but I have some language from other jurisdictions if you want me to email that to you.

Steph Kendrick
    Hawaiian Humane Society

• 3.  RE: Community Intervention?

Posted 06-14-2021 08:39 PM
    Hi, Stephanie, 

YES! Pls share what you are working on. It sounds promising.

Augusta

Augusta Farley

• 4.  RE: Community Intervention?

Posted 06-17-2021 10:50 AM
    In Portland, Oregon we too have a nonprofit that provides  free neighbor mediation services which includes pet issues, but as Stephanie mentioned, it only works when you have two people wiling to come to the table sort out their conflict. As a former volunteer for this group, I found that when things have gotten very bad between the parties, the likelihood of resolution through mediation is slim, however, if the parties are open to mediation, it really can resolve problems in a way that code violations cannot.

Stephanie, I really like the idea you described regarding amending your local animal control ordinance and would love to see how you organization is approaching it. I formerly worked for city government and recognize the inherent inequalities of penalties for code violations, especially in places like Portland where the system is complaint based therefore benefiting the most resourced and vocal individuals.

Adelia Hwang
    ACCD

• 5.  RE: Community Intervention?

Posted 06-17-2021 07:27 PM
    Augusta and Adelia,

San Mateo, CA's municipal code: 

https://www.animallaw.info/local/ca-san-mateo-title-6-animals refers to mediation for animal nuisance complaints regarding a kennel or cattery (6.20.120 - Mediation) or the holder of an Animal Fancier Permit (6.16.110 - Mediation). They have a county mediation program, which we don't have, but we do have nonprofit low- and no-fee mediation resources on Oahu.

Los Angeles, CA's municipal code: 

Nuisance Barking

also references an in-house mediation process. 

I'm using these as a jumping off point for something that might work in our community. If I get a draft that looks like it is gaining traction among our local lawmakers, I will share the language.<o:p>
    </o:p>

Steph Kendrick
    Hawaiian Humane Society

• 6.  RE: Community Intervention?

Posted 06-18-2021 11:59 AM
    Thanks, Steph!

Adelia Hwang
    ACCD