Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  More Than a Meal

This message was posted by a user wishing to remain anonymous
    Posted 07-20-2021 09:45 AM

@Charlotte Otero (she/her)  pet-programming-and-client-needs-assessment_final-report.pdf is great.  

Unfortunately, PetSmart Charities granted funds ( I believe $100K)  to Meals on Wheels America for a three-year partnership to provide home-delivered pet meals and veterinary care to pets of people in need doesn't seem to trickle down. I am speaking about Alameda County, CA experience. 

People at our local Alameda Food Bank (operating under Meals on Wheels America) hasn't heard anything about this resource.
    When asked PetSmart Charities, they were very responsive but said they do not have any insight of how MOWA actually have been using the money. 

Contacted MOWA several weeks ago, but unfortunately no reply at all.

From our direct-to-client Pets-Meals-on-Wheels program perspective, such strategy just doesn't work.  
    It's the same with the GreaterGood Charities: where pet food/supplies distribution is centralized, in some areas, a chosen recipient is great alerting local animal welfare groups and making sure every group can benefit, but in some (including ours) it doesn't ever happen, alas.

My bigger point is when foundations give so much money to what they see  "established" big organizations, in hope that resources will reach communities in need, the results are very uneven, to say the least.

#AccesstoCare

• 2.  RE: More Than a Meal

Posted 07-21-2021 10:03 AM
    I absolutely agree.  Having similar issues here.  Tallahassee Florida

------------------------------
    Frances Alford
    Director
    Its Meow or Never for Ferals
    ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: More Than a Meal

Posted 07-22-2021 08:30 AM

The organization in our area who does MOW program also has not heard of the grant nor do they expect to.  We have supplied meals for the MOW program for the last 7 or so years.  What I was told was the national MOW program money does not "trickle down" to the local offices.