Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Dog Doors in kennel environment

Posted 10-02-2021 07:44 AM
    Good morning everyone!

I run a rescue up in Maine and I have a kennel building, with individual kennels and also communal areas. I had original installed the PetSafe Extreme Weather Dog Doors. These are double flapped. I have human doors in the kennels and the dog doors in the human doors.

However,  needless to say over the past 5 years these doors have had a hammering and I have replaced countless flaps from chewing, the plastic flaps do tend to shrink some in the really cold weather and the weather stripping down the sides is a favourite chew toy of dogs ... apparently.

So, I am looking to replace. I have been looking at the Gun Dog Doors, but lots of reviews on how load they are when they close, which wouldn't be good for obvious reasons. So I have been looking at the DogVue doors. I would love to be able to afford the Endura Flap Doors, however, at $399 per door and I have not even looked if they charge for shipping and would need to replace 25 doors, unless we had a sudden major windfall that is just way out of reach.

Does anyone have any experience with these doors, I am waiting to hear back from them to see if they can be installed in doors, as they only seem to sell trim kits for walls, but I am hoping they do - but would love any feedback if anyone has used them, or knows anything about them.

Dog-Vue Kennel Doors

Also - of course if anyone has any recommendations, I would appreciate it.
    #PetSupportServices*

------------------------------
    Jenny Cope - Fear Free Certified
    President/Founder
    Give a Dog a Home, German Shepherd Dog Rescue
    501c3 Non- Profit Corp, Tax ID/EIN 27-5241306
    State of Maine Shelter/Rescue Licence # F1463
    State of Maine Registered Charity: CO11334
    https://giveadogahome.rescuegroups.org/

• 2.  RE: Dog Doors in kennel environment

Posted 10-05-2021 08:52 AM
    Hi Jenny. A few years ago we replaced our indoor/outdoor kennel flaps (old, cinderblock building) with the flaps from dog gun doors. I left the organization as they were getting installed, but was told that they removed them about a year into using them because dogs were somehow getting stuck going in and out. I don't know if that was due to how they were installed, our physical building, or the doors/flaps themselves. I am afraid that may not be very helpful! In my experience, the flaps are so difficult to find a replacement for that is sufficient. I believe the ones that have actual hard doors work best because of durability and ability to clean/disinfect; however, I know they are often costly. Over the long haul, it would be worth it, however.

Beau Archer
    Humane Rescue Alliance
    202-309-3152

• 3.  RE: Dog Doors in kennel environment

Posted 10-07-2021 09:34 AM

Thank you Beau,

I have researched the Gun Dog Doors and although they seem to be one of the most durable in the less than $400 range, they do have quite a lot of negative reviews in the very loud banging noise when they close and I also read a few times that smaller dogs didn't do too great with them. They seem reasonably priced until you have to factor in the price of the "trims".

The plastic flaps are great for ease of replacement, but too costly over time and of course dangerous with dogs being able to chew them. I have also found that the plastic does shrink when it gets really cold - in Maine it does - so the magnets at the bottom are not effective as they are not touching the bottom magnet now. Also had dogs chewing all the strips of insulation so there is a gap from the flap to the edge - all parts are replaceable, but it just gets too much.

I agree with the rigid doors being more durable, most likely take more training, but dogs are smart ;)

thank you for your input.

Jen :)

President/Founder

• 4.  RE: Dog Doors in kennel environment

Posted 10-08-2021 08:21 AM
    We have found that the Gun Dog doors are great for our cold winters in northern N.Y.  but we have found the same problems as everyone else.  The only thing I can add is that dogs with long tails have had problems with getting the tips of their tails caught in the door when it shuts.

Candace Brown
    Gracious Friends Animal Sanctuary

• 5.  RE: Dog Doors in kennel environment

Posted 10-06-2021 08:32 AM
    Hello! We purchased one from Moore Pet Supply earlier in the year and the sizing was difficult to get right and they are a bit pricey. It has worked well but I'm very interested to hear how Dog-Vue is since it is a much more reasonable price!

Jennifer Angelucci
    President/CEO
    Paws Crossed Animal Rescue Inc.

• 6.  RE: Dog Doors in kennel environment

Posted 10-07-2021 09:41 AM

Hi Jennifer,

the best of the best are just way too expensive to replace all of the doors. I have just been on the phone with DogVue and they sell the doors which are literally just the hinge and hard plastic door, then the trim kit is extra, however, they only sell trim kits for a wall, which is almost twice as thick as a door. 

So, I have done a bit of measuring and I've ordered two size doors and what I am going to do is to attach the door, hinge and plastic on the outside of the current dog doors I have - so technically using the current dog doors as the "door kits", take out the remaining flaps and then see how that goes - I have had to have the DogVue doors bigger than the current doors because of course companies can't have the same sizes, but I don't think an overhang would be a problem since they are not flaps and the dogs have to open them from the side to get in.

I am hoping it will work as then then most of the doors I have are the $51 DogVue size, with a few larger ones at $72. It's going to be a pain teaching 30-40 dogs when they arrive lol, but needs must and all lol.

Thank you for your input and I will update when the "test" doors arrive and let you know if / how they are working out.

Jen :)

President/Founder

• 7.  RE: Dog Doors in kennel environment

Posted 10-07-2021 12:02 PM
    Great!! Definitely keep me posted! We have a lot of kennels and we want all of them to have the flaps but cannot do more of the moore ones at that pricepoint!

Jennifer Angelucci
    President/CEO
    Paws Crossed Animal Rescue Inc.