Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

How can we improve access to Bulk Prescription Medications for rescues and TNR groups?

• 1.  How can we improve access to Bulk Prescription Medications for rescues and TNR groups?

Posted 01-18-2023 08:59 AM

Good Morning,

I have been looking and looking and I can't seem to find anything on this topic. The closest I found was a Pebble thread back in 2021.  Let me preface by saying, we are very grateful for every partner we have. There is just a need that we can't seem to get around without potentially "going under".

Here is the issue we are running into. 

When we do T-N-R and colony management, we often come across groups of cats and kittens that are afflicted by the same medical need (I.E. Scabies, Bacterial/Viral Infections, etc.). While taking one or two in for diagnosis and treatment is feasible, the costs begin to skyrocket if every cat or kitten is brought in especially when only a handful of vets in the area are trained to handle community cats.

In addition, the veterinarians in our area are mostly associated with corporate vets who, let's face it, the bottom line is profit motivated. Those who are the exception are already working with other rescues and doing what they can to help while staying afloat. Has anyone come across any happy mediums where the vets feel comfortable in signing off on a bulk order of prescription product without cutting into profit margins or risk a hike in liability insurance (sad reality) and rescues can do this legally and cost effectively to stay afloat?

Are there any programs out there to assist already? 

If not, what would be some brainstorming ideas to help cover this gap? 

Thank you very much. 

Jazz. 

Our non-profit does TNR, Colony Management, and Rescue. We also have a Barn Cat Program and Adoption Program that is all foster based (no brick & mortar building).  This year we have seen two colonies with scabies (treatment includes confinement, revolution, antibiotics as needed and release once completed) and several colonies with URIs (Lysine to improve colony immunity, more severe cases fluids, antibiotics, etc). We are trying to decrease euthanasia and mass death due to  treatable illnesses. 

Resources I know of thus far: Zoetis for Rescues (Requires a vet willing to sign off), Pebbo (seems to be for homeopathic), international entities (risk involved), Dog and Cat Pharm (research site no RX solutions) 

#AccesstoCare
    #CommunityCatManagement
    #CommunityPartnerships*
    #Medicine,SurgeryandSterilization

------------------------------
    Jasmine
    Volunteer
    It's Meow or Never for Ferals, Inc Tally

• 2.  RE: How can we improve access to Bulk Prescription Medications for rescues and TNR groups?

This message was posted by a user wishing to remain anonymous
    Posted 03-28-2023 02:50 PM
    This message was posted by a user wishing to remain anonymous

I too would love to hear suggestions that don't require a vet because our vet is unwilling to let us purchase unless through them at full price. 

• 3.  RE: How can we improve access to Bulk Prescription Medications for rescues and TNR groups?

Posted 03-29-2023 10:07 AM

Jasmine, great question since it's such a big problem. Thankfully, the local low-cost, high-volume neuter clinic near us understands that problem and will approve bulk medication purchases after seeing just one of the cats with the problem needing medication. And they approve it through Chewy, where the price is lower than a clinic. And FYI if you ever need to give Panacur to your cats. Chewy sells it in a flavored form since the stuff tastes so bad. It's then easier to hide it in wet food or squirt it into mouths. You can also get several meds and needles from Canadian companies without a prescription.

Donna Miller
    Happy Stripes, cat rescue in Ohio

• 4.  RE: How can we improve access to Bulk Prescription Medications for rescues and TNR groups?

Posted 03-29-2023 12:46 PM

Hi Jasmine,

We use 3 different options to help with med costs.  We are an all volunteer Humane Society working from our homes. We are not a shelter but help all the animals in our county that are not in the shelter system.  The shelter is operated by our Sheriff's Office.   While you can't get everything through #1 and #2, you can get some stuff at a cost cheaper than through a full price vet. Mostly, no prescription is required.  We have made the information available to those who choose to use them, however for liability reasons, we don't feel we can recommend them as the "place to go."  Most of us have ordered through them for our own pets.  The products appear identical to what you buy locally.

1. www.canadavet.com
    2. www.pets-megastore.com.au/

Option 3:  https://mail.google.com/mail/u/3/#label/Shelters+United+-+MWI+Animal+Health is what we use mostly, but it requires a vet to be a "vet of record" for prescription items.  It is Shelters United and is for nonprofits - shelters, humane societies, rescues, foster organizations, etc.  The meds come from MW I Animal Health.  Not all of their products need prescriptions so you can still order from them even if you don't have a vet who is willing to be your "vet of record."  Talk to a representative: 800-824-3703.  They will help get you set up.  Their prices are the best we've found.  They also have farm animal items and meds.

Good luck.

Barbara

Barbara Perry, President
    Central Coast Humane Society
    Newport, OR
    centralcoasths@yahoo.com
    centralcoasthumanesociety.com

• 5.  RE: How can we improve access to Bulk Prescription Medications for rescues and TNR groups?

Posted 04-07-2023 06:02 AM

These sound like great options to try. We get meds through Zoetis. Our vet signed off for this one when we got started, but I don't know if she will again. I'm curious to see if there are big price differences.

Jennifer Bozeman
    President
    Creature Comforts Clarke County

• 6.  RE: How can we improve access to Bulk Prescription Medications for rescues and TNR groups?

Posted 04-02-2023 05:43 AM

We have a small rural farm and exotic animal sanctuary and our vets are the same. They prefer we order from them or their online store only. We however have a very large dog/cat rescue that we partner with who will let us order with their bulk order to help us save money. A friend who also runs a lost and found pet nonprofit told me about https://sheltersunited.com/ I haven't used them yet but contacted them to see if they can help with medications and supplies.

Lisa Burns
    founder/VP
    Farmhouse Animal and Nature Sanctuary Inc

• 7.  RE: How can we improve access to Bulk Prescription Medications for rescues and TNR groups?

Posted 04-02-2023 10:36 PM

Lisa Burns I can second SheltersUnited. My rescue is signed up with them and they have amazing products at cost with no markup. I definitely suggest checking them out. My "go to" person is wonderful. She took care of literally everything and explained everything in such depth. All I had to do was have a Vet of Record sign and then sign a few pages myself. She took care of everything else. I've been using them for almost a year now!

Kelly Gunderson
    President
    Rescue For Life Dog Rescue Inc

• 8.  RE: How can we improve access to Bulk Prescription Medications for rescues and TNR groups?

Posted 04-04-2023 02:44 AM

I am excited to get started with SheltersUnited. My only concern is getting our vet to sign off. Both vets we use will not write scripts for us. They want us to buy all the meds through them. 

Lisa Burns
    founder/VP
    Farmhouse Animal and Nature Sanctuary Inc

• 9.  RE: How can we improve access to Bulk Prescription Medications for rescues and TNR groups?

Posted 04-04-2023 06:10 AM

Hi Kelly,
    Do you have any suggestions/tips for getting a vet of record signed up?  This seems to be a stumbling block for me.
    Thank you.

Patty Giarrusso
    Lost Pet Services, Inc.

• 10.  RE: How can we improve access to Bulk Prescription Medications for rescues and TNR groups?

Posted 04-05-2023 12:24 AM
      |   view attached

Hi Jasmine,

We recently learned about Alexandria Compounding Pharmacy. Fedah has been extremely helpful, and we've been able to get some things without a prescription. I suggest calling her and asking about what you need.

Julie Sims
    Kudzu Cat Alliance
    Cobb County GA

Attachment(s)

pdf
    ACP Shelter Med Pricing.pdf   162 KB 1 version

• 11.  RE: How can we improve access to Bulk Prescription Medications for rescues and TNR groups?

Posted 04-05-2023 10:33 AM

Do you have to have a vet of record to order?

thanks,
    Danielle

Danielle Tate
    Waco Pets Alive!

• 12.  RE: How can we improve access to Bulk Prescription Medications for rescues and TNR groups?

Posted 04-06-2023 12:13 PM

Danielle, no, we were not required to attach a vet to our account.

Julie Sims
    Kudzu Cat Alliance
    Cobb County GA

• 13.  RE: How can we improve access to Bulk Prescription Medications for rescues and TNR groups?

Posted 04-05-2023 10:33 AM

We have had the same problem, especially with colonies being infected with scabies.  Hopefully we can come up with a way to treat all of the cats economically.

Danielle Tate
    Waco Pets Alive!

• 14.  RE: How can we improve access to Bulk Prescription Medications for rescues and TNR groups?

Posted 04-06-2023 08:24 AM

Thank you for this question. We are having the same issue in rural areas, especially during the summer when coccidia and giardia are uncontrollable.

Thank you to everyone for responding and the great suggestions.

Jenn Capps
    ED
    Community Cat Support Network