Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Canine Distemper Neurological and Lung phase

Posted 11-08-2021 11:19 AM

Hi,

I've posted here before that stray dog cases reach severe numbers in Georgia(country) and sometimes dogs' health only depends on kind volunteers.

One dog owner asked me to write her case here and get some additional advice, so we would really appreciate it if you could share your thoughts with us.
    She rescued a stray dog diagnosed with Canine Distemper.
    5 months old puppy of mixed breed, weights 15kg. The dog has mild neurological signs and she only had one mild seizure yesterday.

Today she has the difficulty of breathing and her face and eyes are swollen. The dog is restless.
    Medications they use: Ceftriaxone, Doxycycline.

Diakarb+Aspacarm,

injections of Magnesium Sulphate, Analgine+Dimedrol.

They didn't use Diazepam as it affects breathing functions.

also, the dog takes daily doses of AEvit and B complex.

Which other procedures or medications would you recommend?
    Would you not recommend anything that they are doing? Please, share your thoughts and maybe we can use them to help the puppy.

Thank you 

#AccesstoCare
    #CaseManagement*
    #DisasterRelief
    #EducationandTraining
    #Medicine,SurgeryandSterilization

------------------------------
    Natalie J
    NA

• 2.  RE: Canine Distemper Neurological and Lung phase

Posted 11-09-2021 07:06 PM
    Dr. Ellen Jefferson did a very good presentation on treating Canine Distemper in shelter dogs.  It was sponsored by Maddie's Fund:    https://university.maddiesfund.org/products/treating-canine-distemper-virus

April King
    Volunteer and Board Member
    Kotor Kitties

• 3.  RE: Canine Distemper Neurological and Lung phase

Posted 11-09-2021 08:07 PM

Thank you.

I've used it for my puppy a few months ago and I sent it to my friend now but this case was different so we wanted to hear more thoughts. Still waiting.

Best

Natalie J
    NA

• 4.  RE: Canine Distemper Neurological and Lung phase

Posted 11-10-2021 09:28 AM
    I am not familiar with all those meds but would strongly recommend her vet follow the protocol of using baytril and azithromycin for pneumonia. Breathing like that really means bad pneumonia usually.
    Keppra is a good antiseizure med that is safe if they can find it. Sometimes gabapentin can help prevent seizures.
    It also sounds like she needs eye drops for lubrication and infection asap. Swelling can be allergic reaction too so adding diphenhydramine is not a bad idea just in case there is ALSO a bee sting or something happening.

Ellen Jefferson, DVM
    President & CEO
    Austin/American Pets Alive!
    ellen.jefferson@austinpetsalive.org

• 5.  RE: Canine Distemper Neurological and Lung phase

Posted 11-10-2021 10:05 AM

Dear Ellen Jefferson,

Thank you so much for this and for your presentation, It was my only valid source when my rescue puppy had Distemper in September...

Unfortunately, I couldn't save her...

I forwarded this to my friend and hope she follows it.

Best wishes

Natalie J
    NA

• 6.  RE: Canine Distemper Neurological and Lung phase

Posted 11-10-2021 07:27 PM
    Hi Natalie,  I would be interested to hear if your friend is able to access to the Baytril, azithromysin and Keppra.   Eastern Europe and the Balkans are extremely "under resourced".

April King
    Kotor Kitties

• 7.  RE: Canine Distemper Neurological and Lung phase

Posted 11-10-2021 11:01 PM

Hi April,

I would say Georgia is also ''under-resourced''  as we have dozens of stray dogs and fatal accidents daily... Along with severe cases of animal cruelty.

Good thing is that the amount of volunteers and animal lovers is rising progressively.

I've used Azithromisyne myself for the last two days as my rescue puppy had a hidden lung phase which came back severely during the neurological phase :(  I googled and Baytril is available at some stores but we do not have Keppra.

Also, Phenobarbital is extremely hard to find. My puppy had a bad reaction to Diazepam and I searched it in the whole town but everyone told me it was gone.

Best,

Natalie J
    NA

• 8.  RE: Canine Distemper Neurological and Lung phase

Posted 11-11-2021 01:49 PM
    Are you also in Georgia, then?  So cool!  Are you affiliated with an animal group there?

I coordinate a spay-neuter program in Montenegro, and try to spend at least half the year there.  So I realize the state of animal welfare and resources there.  Phenobarbitol is illegal.  There's a very short formulary of drugs that the outsiders like myself are pushing to expand!   A friend's mother died in the hospital of a pneumonia that there were no drugs for.  The daughter was desperately trying black market sources, to no avail.  That was 2019, pre-COVID!

Interestingly, even the FIP miracle cure can be found there now, with many thousand euros to pay for it!

Hope the puppy makes it!

April King
    Kotor Kitties

• 9.  RE: Canine Distemper Neurological and Lung phase

Posted 11-11-2021 07:27 PM

You have to have a prescription to buy Diazepam or Phenobarbital here.

Yes, I am from Georgia(country).

I am in many groups on social media but I and my mom rescued a puppy and brought her to our home.

It was not our first rescue but the first one with Distemper, it's already two months now, but we are still devastated. She was a magical puppy with a supermind.

Natalie J
    NA

• 10.  RE: Canine Distemper Neurological and Lung phase

Posted 11-11-2021 07:59 PM
    I am so sorry that your puppy didn't make it, Natalia.  It never seems to get easier when one doesn't survive, does it?

I'm happy to know someone now in Georgia!  Maybe someday I'll be able to take a road trip from Montenegro and visit some of the nearby countries.  I have friends in Bulgaria, Ukraine, and Romania, but you are the first person I've met who is in Georgia.  Are you on Facebook?

Best wishes to your and your mother, and thank you for trying to save the magical puppy!  The puppy I found in a Montenegrin dump and raised from about 4 weeks old has survived.  Miraculously, I got him out of Montenegro, despite COVID, cancelled flights, and closed borders, but my husband wouldn't let me keep him.  A friend of mine here in Seattle adopted him, so I'm lucky to get frequent photos and updates on him.

Take care,

April King
    Kotor Kitties