Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Seeking evidence for need to have Operations Manager?

Posted 08-04-2021 10:33 PM
    Hi all,

I'm finding it difficult to find evidence from a credible source, for the need for a shelter to have an Ops Manager/Animal Care Manager/whatever we want to call it. Current situation is that there is a CEO (mostly focussed, rightly, on Board, strategic,  finances etc), department supervisors (cats and dogs) and a vet team. So no overarching role bringing all of those functions together. Consequently there are lots of things falling through the cracks.

Can anyone think of a resource that details/mentions the need for this kind of role? 

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you might have.
    #OrganizationalManagement

------------------------------
    Nell Thompson

#operations
    #animalcare
    #management

​​​

• 2.  RE: Seeking evidence for need to have Operations Manager?

Posted 08-05-2021 09:55 AM

Hi @nell thompson,

I don't have any evidence per se, but I think I'd start by defining what an ops manager would mean for you and your Executive Director. I often see this role as the right hand of ​the ED, and a person who can get stuff done while the highest positions do the higher level work, which often isn't hands-on. I'd think the greatest argument would be taking a load off the EDs shoulders.  I'm sure you've dug for relevant job descriptions, but here's one from HSUS outlining a Senior Manager of Animal Care role, and another from Animal Friends Humane Society for Operations Manager.

https://www.animalfriendshs.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/Operations-Manager-NEW.pdf

https://www.indeed.com/q-Animal-Shelter-Operation-Manager-jobs.html?vjk=0c16dc0a48161e51

Good luck and I'll poke around!
    @Sarah Aguilar
    @Luis Quintanilla
    @Josh Fisher
    any suggestions or comments? thx!!

Amber Freiwald
    Maddie's Fund

• 3.  RE: Seeking evidence for need to have Operations Manager?

Posted 08-05-2021 11:33 AM
    As a person who has been Operations Director of APA! and now am acting interim Director of Operations at PVAS I will say that having someone who has their focus on animal operations is vital to the success of a large organization. Often times the Exec Dir is drowning in organizational priorities and cannot focus as strongly on operations. Hope this help.

Faith Wright

• 4.  RE: Seeking evidence for need to have Operations Manager?

Posted 08-07-2021 03:11 AM
    Agreed! Now I just have to convince the CEO :)

nell thompson

• 5.  RE: Seeking evidence for need to have Operations Manager?

Posted 08-05-2021 02:59 PM

Operations managers in almost any business are key personnel in upper-level management that make sure the company is performing to its best potential. They keep their eyes on multiple areas within the company, assuring productivity and efficiency while seeking to reduce costs.

https://smallbusiness.chron.com/role-operations-manager-14234.html#:~:text=Operations%20managers%20in%20almost%20any,while%20seeking%20to%20reduce%20costs.

I would provide examples, metrics, goals for this position that demonstrate a beneficial financial and quality of life impact.  
    Check out some job descriptions to identify what this role might mean for your org. 

sarah aguilar

• 6.  RE: Seeking evidence for need to have Operations Manager?

Posted 08-07-2021 09:37 AM
    Great article, thanks Sarah

nell thompson

• 7.  RE: Seeking evidence for need to have Operations Manager?

Posted 08-07-2021 03:11 AM
    Thanks Amber!

nell thompson