Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Webcast: Feline Leukemia Testing: One and Done for Everyone - December 15

• 1.  Webcast: Feline Leukemia Testing: One and Done for Everyone - December 15

Posted 11-22-2021 03:28 PM
    cat with a mask over his face

In 2020, the AAFP released new retrovirus testing guidelines that recommend one quality point of care test then moving forward with a live-outcome pathway. In accordance, Austin Pets Alive!, home of the most robust FeLV adoption program in the world, changed its FeLV testing protocols. No more serum testing. No more "confirmation" testing. What does this mean in practice, how do we pathway plan for cats with different diagnoses, and why is this the new recommendation? Join Monica Frenden-Tarant and Dr. Julie Levy as they break down the latest guidelines and tell you everything you need to know about testing for feline leukemia.

Now Available to Watch On-Demand at Maddie's University

This webinar has been recorded and has been pre-approved for 1.0 Certified Animal Welfare Administrator continuing education credits by The Association for Animal Welfare Advancement and by the National Animal Care & Control Association.

This webinar has been approved for 1 hour of continuing education credit until December 23, 2023 in jurisdictions that recognize RACE approval. Please visit Maddie's University to watch the recording and complete a quiz to access your RACE CE certificate. You must then upload your certificate to CEBroker.com, the portal for AAVSB continuing education verification.
    You can find a PDF of the presentation slides in the Forum resource library.

All webcasts have closed captioning and live transcription.

#CommunityCatManagement
    #EducationandTraining
    #Medicine,SurgeryandSterilization

------------------------------
    alison gibson

• 2.  RE: Webcast: Feline Leukemia Testing: One and Done for Everyone - December 15

Posted 11-23-2021 06:31 AM
    Thank you, Alison!
    If you have burning FeLV questions you want to submit in advance to make sure we cover, drop me a line!

Monica Frenden-Tarant
    Maddie's® Director of Feline Lifesaving
    American Pets Alive!

• 3.  RE: Webcast: Feline Leukemia Testing: One and Done for Everyone - December 15

Posted 01-03-2022 09:44 AM
    What do you recommend we do about other cats in a household of 20 cats, where one got sick and tested positive for leukemia?

Karen Meierdiercks
    Heart and Hand Society, Inc.

• 4.  RE: Webcast: Feline Leukemia Testing: One and Done for Everyone - December 15

Posted 01-03-2022 09:58 AM
    Hi Karen,

If your intent is to adopt the remaining 20 cats out, I would test them all at intake following the guidelines we talked about in the webinar. (IDEXX, whole blood, and proceed with the adoption course.) If the 20 cats are to remain in the home, and they can't/won't be separated based upon results, there may be little point in testing beyond a diagnostic if a cat becomes ill.

Monica Frenden-Tarant
    Maddie's® Director of Feline Lifesaving
    American Pets Alive!

• 5.  RE: Webcast: Feline Leukemia Testing: One and Done for Everyone - December 15

Posted 01-03-2022 12:56 PM
    No leukemia shots?

• 6.  RE: Webcast: Feline Leukemia Testing: One and Done for Everyone - December 15

Posted 11-23-2021 12:05 PM
    I'm looking forward to sharing this new information! Guess this: How many cats with FeLV pass through animal shelters in a year? (Hint: shelters take in about 2 million cats in a year)

Julie Levy
    Maddie's Shelter Medicine Program at the University of Florida

• 7.  RE: Webcast: Feline Leukemia Testing: One and Done for Everyone - December 15

Posted 11-24-2021 09:31 AM
    1-2%.  We don't test cats being TNR'd (unless needed to diagnose illness), but we do test 100% of cats being put up for adoption.

Laura Burns
    HubCats

• 8.  RE: Webcast: Feline Leukemia Testing: One and Done for Everyone - December 15

Posted 12-19-2021 12:09 PM
    Yes! We say 1-3% based on what group is being tested. That's up to 60,000 cats a year passing through shelters.
    Cheers,
    -Julie

Julie Levy
    Million Cat Challenge
    https://sheltermedicine.vetmed.ufl.edu/

• 9.  RE: Webcast: Feline Leukemia Testing: One and Done for Everyone - December 15

Posted 12-15-2021 01:14 PM
    Firstly- thank you so much for this great presentation!

Previously, I was taught that the risk of an infected FeLV cat transmitting the disease to another adult, immunocompetent cat was extremely low. (

(Cats develop age-related immunity to FeLV in particular and as noted in Greene's Infectious Diseases of the Dog and Cat "experimental infection of adult cats is difficult if not impossible in healthy adult cats.")...Is this no longer the case?

I am also still unclear on why testing cats <5-6mo of age would be recommended. They could antigen positive via transmission by the queen, but as the age and reach immunocompetency clear the infection completely?

After working with Cameron and Team Shelter USA ~3 years ago, I changed our protocols from testing everyone on intake for FIV/FeLV, to not testing at all unless showing clinical reason to test/high suspicion. Should we be changing back to testing everyone for FeLV at intake now? 

Ariella Samson
    Humane Animal Rescue

• 10.  RE: Webcast: Feline Leukemia Testing: One and Done for Everyone - December 15

Posted 12-19-2021 11:24 AM
    Hello Ariella,
    Good questions! It is true that adult cats acquire some age-related resistance, but this is not complete. Epidemiological studies show that FeLV prevalence increases slightly with older age and that cats with abscesses have higher risk. There is no problem with testing kittens.  In the vast majority of cases, the result in the kitten is accurate and will remain the same status overtime. The kittens that initially test positive for FeLV and then negative later are more likely regressively infected, although a few may have actually aborted the infection entirely. It's very difficult to detect the difference. Your  testing protocol is fine the way it is. The presentation we gave showed how a program that tests all cats can streamline the process. There is no one size fits all in FeLV. :)
    Cheers,
    -Julie

Julie Levy
    Million Cat Challenge

• 11.  RE: Webcast: Feline Leukemia Testing: One and Done for Everyone - December 15

Posted 12-15-2021 01:25 PM
    I'm guessing 3%, or around 60,000.

Cindy Hewitt
    S.A.F.E. Pets, Inc.

• 12.  RE: Webcast: Feline Leukemia Testing: One and Done for Everyone - December 15

Posted 12-19-2021 11:25 AM
    Yes!

Julie Levy
    Million Cat Challenge

• 13.  RE: Webcast: Feline Leukemia Testing: One and Done for Everyone - December 15

Posted 12-15-2021 05:13 PM
    Just leaving El Paso AS- would test all (mostly kittens) going to the adoption center at the ELP Zoo and suspect cats remaining at the shelter only. Unsure how they will proceed now. New job: Spay Neuter Network, O's/caregivers can request a test. This morning had one trapper wanting their appearing healthy TNR feral euthanized if cat was retrovirus positive.  I informed them we would not do that based on a test.

Alana Canupp
    Spay Neuter Network

• 14.  RE: Webcast: Feline Leukemia Testing: One and Done for Everyone - December 15

Posted 12-19-2021 11:49 AM
    Congratulations on your new position Alana!
    You have a great opportunity to create protocols that elevate the outcomes for all kinds of cats. Many TNR programs do not even offer routine testing of TNR cats, but still have capacity to test sick cats and cats headed to adoption.  Removing a few positive cats from the environment will not change the prevalence in the neighborhood, but spaying more community cats will. That's why so many TNR programs invest all their resources in upscaling their efforts to focus on high-intensity TNR. That reduces both kittens and FeLV the fastest.
    Cheers,
    -Julie

Julie Levy
    Million Cat Challenge

• 15.  RE: Webcast: Feline Leukemia Testing: One and Done for Everyone - December 15

Posted 09-14-2022 09:08 AM
    Hello there.  Thank you for this great seminar.  I have recently trapped a female kitty that I had spayed and fully vetted.   She has tested positive for both FeLV and FIV but seems healthy otherwise.  She was placed with a small sanctuary and the hope was that she could be adopted out, but she is a year old and it turns out, pretty feral.   This sanctuary is not really set up for feral cats and I am concerned that she will not be as contained as she needs to be to keep her from breaking out of the house and also to keep her from having contact with the other non-positive cats.  My thought, after watching the seminar and after reading this comment is that perhaps she has a better survival chance if released back into the neighborhood due to lower stress (there is shelter and food/water that I have and can continue to provide).  I would do my best to monitor and trap her for vet care if needed (though I cannot guarantee she would go back into a trap.)   So my questions are:

1. Is that the better course of action; to remove her from the sanctuary and release her back into the neighborhood? 
    2. Is it okay to release a positive cat into the neighborhood or am I putting other cats at risk? 
    3.  I have cats in my household that go outside but only with my supervision.  Should vaccinate them if it is known to be in the neighborhood?  And does the vaccine pose health risks?  

Any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.  

Michaela Moore
    Unsure How To Answer This

• 16.  RE: Webcast: Feline Leukemia Testing: One and Done for Everyone - December 15

Posted 09-14-2022 09:24 AM
    There are not any published guidelines that address this and many would disagree with me, but here goes with my thoughts:

1. Is that the better course of action; to remove her from the sanctuary and release her back into the neighborhood? Yes, she is semi-feral and confined, that is very stressful for unsocialized cats (and often for all cats)
    2. Is it okay to release a positive cat into the neighborhood or am I putting other cats at risk?  Positive cats are already out there. They exist in every community. Spaying and neutering is much more effective at reducing the spread of these viruses than test/removal. If she is not a big fighter, the chances of close contact with other cats necessary for transmission is remote. Since she has been confined for a year, her relocation should be carried out slowly as would be done for a barn cat relocation.
    3.  I have cats in my household that go outside but only with my supervision.  Should vaccinate them if it is known to be in the neighborhood?  And does the vaccine pose health risks?  I always recommend FeLV vaccination for cats that may have close contact with positive cats. Since she will be lingering around your home, there is increased chance of contact with your cats.

Julie Levy
    Shelter Medicine Program at the University of Florida
    Maddie's Million Pet Challenge
    https://sheltermedicine.vetmed.ufl.edu

• 17.  RE: Webcast: Feline Leukemia Testing: One and Done for Everyone - December 15

Posted 09-14-2022 12:39 PM
    Thank you!  Truly appreciate it!   

And a clarification: she is about a year old.  She has only been confined about a week.  

On Wed, Sep 14, 2022 at 12:25 PM Julie Levy via Maddie's Pet Forum <Mail@maddiesfund.org> wrote:
    There are not any published guidelines that address this and many would disagree with me, but here goes with my thoughts: 1. Is that the better... -posted to the "Animal Welfare Professionals" community/group
    Maddie's Pet Forum

Animal Welfare Professionals

Post New Discussion Post New Discussion via Email
    Manage Profile   Listen to Candid Conversations Podcast
    Re: Webcast: Feline Leukemia Testing: One and Done for Everyone - December 15
    Reply to Discussion Reply to Discussion via Email Reply Privately to Author Reply Privately to Author via Email
    Sep 14, 2022 9:24 AM
    Julie Levy
    There are not any published guidelines that address this and many would disagree with me, but here goes with my thoughts:

1. Is that the better course of action; to remove her from the sanctuary and release her back into the neighborhood? Yes, she is semi-feral and confined, that is very stressful for unsocialized cats (and often for all cats)
    2. Is it okay to release a positive cat into the neighborhood or am I putting other cats at risk?  Positive cats are already out there. They exist in every community. Spaying and neutering is much more effective at reducing the spread of these viruses than test/removal. If she is not a big fighter, the chances of close contact with other cats necessary for transmission is remote. Since she has been confined for a year, her relocation should be carried out slowly as would be done for a barn cat relocation.
    3.  I have cats in my household that go outside but only with my supervision.  Should vaccinate them if it is known to be in the neighborhood?  And does the vaccine pose health risks?  I always recommend FeLV vaccination for cats that may have close contact with positive cats. Since she will be lingering around your home, there is increased chance of contact with your cats.

Julie Levy

Reply to Discussion   Reply to Discussion via Email   Reply Privately to Author   Reply Privately to Author via Email   View Thread   Like   Forward   Flag as Inappropriate  

You are receiving this message because you followed the 'Webcast: Feline Leukemia Testing: One and Done for Everyone - December 15' message thread. To unsubscribe from this message thread, go to Unsubscribe.

Update your email preferences to choose the types of email you receive

Unsubscribe from all participation emails

Return to Home Resource Drive: Share or request RTH resources & you'll be entered to win a $50 gift card

Original Message:
    Sent: 9/14/2022 12:24:00 PM
    Subject: RE: Webcast: Feline Leukemia Testing: One and Done for Everyone - December 15

Julie Levy

Original Message:
    Sent: 09-13-2022 09:30 PM
    Subject: Webcast: Feline Leukemia Testing: One and Done for Everyone - December 15

Hello there.  Thank you for this great seminar.  I have recently trapped a female kitty that I had spayed and fully vetted.   She has tested positive for both FeLV and FIV but seems healthy otherwise.  She was placed with a small sanctuary and the hope was that she could be adopted out, but she is a year old and it turns out, pretty feral.   This sanctuary is not really set up for feral cats and I am concerned that she will not be as contained as she needs to be to keep her from breaking out of the house and also to keep her from having contact with the other non-positive cats.  My thought, after watching the seminar and after reading this comment is that perhaps she has a better survival chance if released back into the neighborhood due to lower stress (there is shelter and food/water that I have and can continue to provide).  I would do my best to monitor and trap her for vet care if needed (though I cannot guarantee she would go back into a trap.)   So my questions are:

1. Is that the better course of action; to remove her from the sanctuary and release her back into the neighborhood? 
    2. Is it okay to release a positive cat into the neighborhood or am I putting other cats at risk? 
    3.  I have cats in my household that go outside but only with my supervision.  Should vaccinate them if it is known to be in the neighborhood?  And does the vaccine pose health risks?  

Any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.  

Michaela Moore

Original Message:
    Sent: 12-19-2021 11:48 AM
    Subject: Webcast: Feline Leukemia Testing: One and Done for Everyone - December 15

Congratulations on your new position Alana!
    You have a great opportunity to create protocols that elevate the outcomes for all kinds of cats. Many TNR programs do not even offer routine testing of TNR cats, but still have capacity to test sick cats and cats headed to adoption.  Removing a few positive cats from the environment will not change the prevalence in the neighborhood, but spaying more community cats will. That's why so many TNR programs invest all their resources in upscaling their efforts to focus on high-intensity TNR. That reduces both kittens and FeLV the fastest.
    Cheers,
    -Julie

Julie Levy
    Million Cat Challenge

Original Message:
    Sent: 12-15-2021 03:55 PM

Just leaving El Paso AS- would test all (mostly kittens) going to the adoption center at the ELP Zoo and suspect cats remaining at the shelter only. Unsure how they will proceed now. New job: Spay Neuter Network, O's/caregivers can request a test. This morning had one trapper wanting their appearing healthy TNR feral euthanized if cat was retrovirus positive.  I informed them we would not do that based on a test.

Alana Canupp
    Spay Neuter Network

Original Message:
    Sent: 11-23-2021 12:05 PM

I'm looking forward to sharing this new information! Guess this: How many cats with FeLV pass through animal shelters in a year? (Hint: shelters take in about 2 million cats in a year)

Julie Levy

Original Message:
    Sent: 11-22-2021 03:28 PM

In 2020, the AAFP released new retrovirus testing guidelines that recommend one quality point of care test then moving forward with a live-outcome pathway. In accordance, Austin Pets Alive!, home of the most robust FeLV adoption program in the world, changed its FeLV testing protocols. No more serum testing. No more "confirmation" testing. What does this mean in practice, how do we pathway plan for cats with different diagnoses, and why is this the new recommendation? Join Monica Frenden-Tarant and Dr. Julie Levy as they break down the latest guidelines and tell you everything you need to know about testing for feline leukemia.

Wednesday, December 15, 2021 at 12n Pacific / 3pm Eastern

Register here

This webinar will be recorded and has been pre-approved for 1.0 Certified Animal Welfare Administrator continuing education credits by The Association for Animal Welfare Advancement and by the National Animal Care & Control Association.

​​
    #CommunityCatManagement
    #EducationandTraining
    #Medicine,SurgeryandSterilization

alison gibson

• 18.  RE: Webcast: Feline Leukemia Testing: One and Done for Everyone - December 15

Posted 12-15-2021 07:08 AM

PRIZE ALERT!

31-piece kitty toy collection

Are your cats waiting for their holiday presents? Million Cat Challenge is giving away a 31-piece kitty toy pack to 5 lucky webinar participants who contribute to this discussion. Simply reply to this this  discussion thread and tell us:

How is your organization managing FeLV testing today, and what becomes of cats who have positive FeLV test results? Is there anything you would like to change about your FeLV program? Bonus smiles if you include a picture about your FeLV program.

Forum comments must be submitted by midnight on Thursday 12/16/21. The 5 winning comments will be shared on the Million Cat Challenge Facebook page by midnight Monday 12/19/21. Winners will have until midnight Sunday 12/19/21 to claim their prize, or they forfeit and we go down to the next one on the list.

Julie Levy
    Million Cat Challenge

• 19.  RE: Webcast: Feline Leukemia Testing: One and Done for Everyone - December 15

Posted 12-15-2021 01:07 PM
      |   view attached
    Our organization tests cats that are turned in to the shelter with a reported positive test at an outside vet. Single snap test is done, and if negative treat as negative.

Very sick cats who don't clear up after extended treatments are tested as a rule out, and a PCR is sent out for cats with positive results. 

Positive cats are placed for adoption, housed in our gen-pop kennels and adopted out like any other cat, with extra counseling specific to the condition. The only change I'd make would be skipping the PCR confirmatory test ;)

Stephanie Stryker
    Pima Animal Care Center

• 20.  RE: Webcast: Feline Leukemia Testing: One and Done for Everyone - December 15

Posted 12-19-2021 11:52 AM
    What a great program Stephanie!
    Fingers crossed that Apollo gets his home for the holidays.
    Cheers,
    -Julie

Julie Levy
    Million Cat Challenge

• 21.  RE: Webcast: Feline Leukemia Testing: One and Done for Everyone - December 15

We test all cats over 6 months and used to euthanize all positive cases. We have recently changed our outcome plan for these cats to accommodate the changes published in the AAFP retrovirus testing guidelines. Our new plan includes dedicating a free roam cat room where all FeLV cases can be housed together while waiting to be adopted. Since adopting the new plan, we haven't had one positive result. In fact, our percentage of positive cases seems much lower than the stats posted during the webinar (pretty thankful for that right now).  Kudos to all the game changers that have put years of research and care into forming a new outlook for these FeLV positive kitties!

Sarah Callahan
    Humane Educational Society

• 22.  RE: Webcast: Feline Leukemia Testing: One and Done for Everyone - December 15

Posted 12-19-2021 11:57 AM
    Thank you for following the science to update your protocols over time Sarah. 
    It sounds like you have a great program for the felvies and will be well-prepared the next time a cat arrives with FeLV. 
    Cheers,
    -Julie

Julie Levy
    Million Cat Challenge

• 23.  RE: Webcast: Feline Leukemia Testing: One and Done for Everyone - December 15

We SNAP Combo test all cats and kittens > 6 months of age. We are a relatively young rescue (est. 2019), with focus on saving cats & dogs from underserved municipal shelters, but we have not had a FeLV+ cat to date! Such a cat would be adopted out like any other cat.

Alyson Edgecomb
    SFC Virginia

• 24.  RE: Webcast: Feline Leukemia Testing: One and Done for Everyone - December 15

Posted 12-19-2021 12:02 PM
    Thanks for your hard work on behalf of under-resourced shelters Alyson.
    Great job setting up your new rescue with a mission of collaboration and helping in an area of greatest need to create the most impact. 
    Cheers,
    -Julie

Julie Levy
    Million Cat Challenge

• 25.  RE: Webcast: Feline Leukemia Testing: One and Done for Everyone - December 15

We test for FeLV only.  No FIV testing.  We use Idexx Snap tests.  We usually will perform a second test from a different box/lot number.  If they come in positive from a shelter, we confirm with  an Idexx test because most of the shelters use the bad tests.  We don't retest if they have a negative test from the shelter.  Our primary mission is high volume spay/neuter.  We don't have a physical shelter.  We have 8 adoption centers in Petcos and PetSmart stores and are not allowed to bring FeLV positive cats into the stores.  Right now, the FeLV cats end up on our sanctuary.  I do not like this practice.  We just have no adoption outlet.  I am fully on board with your recommendations and will be discussing this call with our Adoption Coordinator tomorrow.  You have given me some really good ideas.

deana sellens

• 26.  RE: Webcast: Feline Leukemia Testing: One and Done for Everyone - December 15

Posted 12-19-2021 12:13 PM
    Great program Deana!
    Maybe you could replace the sanctuary concept with a foster home concept for the felvies. @Monica Tarant can provide protocols for their very successful felvie foster program. That way you don't have to start from scratch with the new concept.
    Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
    -Julie​

Julie Levy
    Million Cat Challenge

• 27.  RE: Webcast: Feline Leukemia Testing: One and Done for Everyone - December 15

Our organization does not currently test for FeLV and we inform cat adopters they should test with their veterinarian.  We are currently seeking grants funds so we can purchase tests for our feline population in 2022.

Caitlin Kuczko
    Leadville Lake County Animal Shelter

• 28.  RE: Webcast: Feline Leukemia Testing: One and Done for Everyone - December 15

Posted 12-19-2021 12:16 PM
    Hello Caitlin!
    Routine testing isn't the right choice for every shelter. Many times, those resources should be redirected to more impactful programs such as TNR or adoption marketing. FeLV testing is definitely not one size fits all, especially in these times of shrinking grant support.
    Cheers,
    -Julie

Julie Levy
    Million Cat Challenge

• 29.  RE: Webcast: Feline Leukemia Testing: One and Done for Everyone - December 15

Posted 12-15-2021 02:52 PM
    Hi! Thank you for the webcast, it was very informative.

Our organization in Northern NY only tests cats with unknown histories, specifically strays, hoarding cases, or ones with illnesses, old fight wounds, etc. We do test pregnant/nursing mother cats and kittens with unknown health histories or have illnesses.

We do not test cats that are surrendered by an owner with known histories and are healthy. I have been the one in charge of bringing our cats to the veterinarians over the past 13 years and went from testing all cats to a specific population. The veterinarians we work with are in agreement with our testing protocols based on years of testing and the data we have. Prior to that, any positives were routinely euthanized based on the fear they would spread FeLV or FIV to other cats.

Now we know that the cats coming into our facility (100-150 annually) are very healthy, with less than a 1% positivity rate over the past 13 years. I recall one large hoarding case of 30 cats, and we had a few FeLV positives in that group. They had chronic upper respiratory infections, spent a bit longer time at the shelter, but were treatable and were adopted. It is rare, but if we have a positive cat they get the same adoption chance as all the negative cats. 

We provide adopters with information and recommend speaking with our primary shelter veterinarian and their own veterinarian if they have questions or concerns.

Lena Bombard
    Tri-Lakes Humane Society

• 30.  RE: Webcast: Feline Leukemia Testing: One and Done for Everyone - December 15

Posted 12-15-2021 05:13 PM
    I oversee medical care for kittens in our rescue. In the three years and 1800 kittens we've taken in during my tenure, we have not seen a positive so far.  That being said, we probably only test about 50%. Animals that come to us from our local Humane Society are all individually tested at the time of spay or neuter. The rest of them are tested within our rescue, typically one per litter, more as a screening tool. We test poor-doers and outright sick babies individually. We use Witness testing (the shelter uses IDexx). I've tried to set up an account with IDexx, but not been successful yet.

We have been toying around with discontinuing the routine testing. We can't really afford to test every single healthy kitten outside of the shelter system, and wonder if testing one out of a group is really worth the effort, or if it gives a false sense of security. We do test all adults who come through, though we don't see a lot of adult cats.

The webinar was super informative. Thank you! 

Jamie Gothro
    SPOT Saving Pets One at a Time

• 31.  RE: Webcast: Feline Leukemia Testing: One and Done for Everyone - December 15

Posted 12-19-2021 12:29 PM
    Hello Jamie,
    Thank you for attending our webinar. I think this is a good time to re-evaluate your testing protocol as you mentioned. Mass testing vs strategic testing is a choice that each shelter makes based on what works best to help the most cats with the greatest efficiency. You brought up a question about testing one cat in a group, and I agree that could be dropped. The rate of mixed FeLV status within a group is so high that proxy testing is likely to be misleading in may cases.
    Cheers,
    -Julie

Julie Levy
    Million Cat Challenge

• 32.  RE: Webcast: Feline Leukemia Testing: One and Done for Everyone - December 15

Posted 12-19-2021 12:22 PM
    Sounds like a fantastic program Lena.
    You have thought a lot about how to make the best use of your resources and recognize the highest risk factors for FeLV. Open and clear communication with adopters and their vets is so important to assure cats get the care they need during the transfer from shelter to home.
    Cheers,
    -Julie

Julie Levy
    Million Cat Challenge

• 33.  RE: Webcast: Feline Leukemia Testing: One and Done for Everyone - December 15

Posted 12-16-2021 07:47 AM

We used to test 100% of adoptable kittens and cats for Feline Leukemia and FIV with a snap test and euthanize positives.  TNR cats are never tested unless from a sick/positive colony.  About three years ago, we changed to testing about 50% of the litter or mother.  We are foster based and adopt out of Petco, Petsmart and other local pet stores.  Our rates of positive cases are lower than what was discussed at less than 0.05%. I really don't think we should test. 

Frances Alford
    Director
    Its Meow or Never for Ferals

• 34.  RE: Webcast: Feline Leukemia Testing: One and Done for Everyone - December 15

Posted 12-19-2021 12:34 PM
    Hello Frances,
    Thank you for attending our webinar. It sounds like you've put a lot of thought into how to use your precious resources, and I know you are very active in TNR. Upscaling TNR, even without testing, is the best way to reduce both kittens and FeLV.   You mentioned  testing part of a litter, and I think that is an area you could add some refinement (either dropping testing altogether or testing each individual), and I agree that could be dropped. The rate of mixed FeLV status within a group is so high that proxy testing is likely to be misleading in may cases.
    Cheers,
    -Julie

Julie Levy
    Million Cat Challenge

• 35.  RE: Webcast: Feline Leukemia Testing: One and Done for Everyone - December 15

Posted 12-16-2021 12:54 PM
    We started out testing everyone.  Then we moved to testing only those who would be going into group housing, any cats that are showing signs of illness or disease that could be FeLV related and at adopters request. Now we are considering testing everyone again at spay/neuter due to the number of requests  we are getting during adoption.  The photos are 2 of our FeLV kitties that are currently available for adoption.
    Picture of medium haired Tabby who is positive for FeLV
    Short haired tabby poking his head out of a tunnel

Nancy Puro

• 36.  RE: Webcast: Feline Leukemia Testing: One and Done for Everyone - December 15

Posted 12-19-2021 12:37 PM
    Hi Nancy,
    It sounds like your organization is very open to trying new protocols and being nimble when things don't  work. For some organizations, it makes more sense to do mass testing than to tailor it to individual cats at different times in the shelter. The consistency of processes and elimination of the need to do a lot of individual communication can be more cost-effective in the long run - especially in these days of workforce shortage. 
    Cheers,
    -Julie

Julie Levy
    Million Cat Challenge

• 37.  RE: Webcast: Feline Leukemia Testing: One and Done for Everyone - December 15

Posted 12-16-2021 03:35 PM
    How is your organization managing FeLV testing today, and what becomes of cats who have positive FeLV test results? Is there anything you would like to change about your FeLV program? Bonus smiles if you include a picture about your FeLV program.
    Our organization is a communally housed cat only shelter so we test every cat walking in the door for FIV/FeLV. At this time FIV cats that are healthy are put in our communal rooms and adopted out. FeLV because of space constraints is still a euthanized offence unfortunately.  We did recently have a litter of 8 kittens where one came up positive on initial testing, unfortunately detail was not kept on exactly which kitten it was (They all looked the same). We retested these kittens a multitude of times over the next 4 months and could NEVER recreate the positive. They were in foster homes that were apprised of their possible exposure and because none of us had the heart to euthanize 8 kittens that were seemingly healthy, we were able to open an adoption room to just them, and with extensive counseling were able to adopt all 8 to new homes. I am hoping with time this will become the normal for FeLV kitties in our care, but space is always and issue for us and 1 cat in a room that can house 8 or more really decreases the number of kitties we could have saved in that one room alone.

Tara Murray

• 38.  RE: Webcast: Feline Leukemia Testing: One and Done for Everyone - December 15

Posted 12-19-2021 01:17 PM
    Great work Tara!
    How about setting up an FeLV foster home network instead of keeping them in your shelter? @Monica Tarant can help you set that up since she has assisted many other shelters to establish adoption programs for FeLV+ cats.  It's easier than you think and a big morale booster for the team.
    Cheers,
    -Julie​

Julie Levy
    Million Cat Challenge

• 39.  RE: Webcast: Feline Leukemia Testing: One and Done for Everyone - December 15

Posted 12-20-2021 09:51 AM
    Thank you for your feedback. Fortunate for us in the 4.5 years I have been here we have only had 3 positives out of over 4000 cats and kittens... But will definitely keep in mind the option of foster for future positive girls. Thank you for that forethought and support.

Tara Murray

• 40.  RE: Webcast: Feline Leukemia Testing: One and Done for Everyone - December 15

Posted 12-22-2021 08:25 AM
    We have winners!

31-piece kitty toy packs are on their way to 4 lucky organizations whose lifesaving care for cats living with FeLV inspire us.

Congratulations Texas Litter Control, SFC Virginia, Tri-Lakes Humane Society, and Humane Educational Society.

Read the posts in the comments below to learn how so many organizations are developing creative approaches for cats. ICYMI, you can still catch the recording at  https://university.maddiesfund.org/products/feline-leukemia-testing-one-and-done-for-everyone 

Julie Levy
    Million Cat Challenge

• 41.  RE: Webcast: Feline Leukemia Testing: One and Done for Everyone - December 15

Posted 12-22-2021 08:43 AM
    Congratulations Texas Litter ControlSFC VirginiaTri-Lakes Humane Society, and Humane Educational Society.  SO INSPIRING!  And thank you, Dr. Levy, for this fun incentive and very important webcast.

alison gibson

• 42.  RE: Webcast: Feline Leukemia Testing: One and Done for Everyone - December 15

Posted 12-16-2021 09:14 AM
    Our organization is located in Kansas. Unfortunately, state law dictates that we are not allowed to adopt out Felv + cats. We are currently testing all intakes for Felv and FIV at intake.  We are now allowed to adopt out FIX + cats (this just happened in the last 18 months and took more than 10 years of fighting with state legislature). So unfortunately, I do not think adopting out Felv+ cats is in our near future.  I am unsure if we are able to transfer Felv + cats to other organizations out of state. We do not get many Felv+ cats but we have done the Quant PCR on a few to assess potential prognosis. I would love our state to allow for more options with Felv+ cats (be that transfer or allowing adoptions).

Amanda Isele
    Humane Society of Greater Kansas City

• 43.  RE: Webcast: Feline Leukemia Testing: One and Done for Everyone - December 15

Posted 12-19-2021 11:17 AM
    Hello Amanda,
    It's so frustrating that Kansas has such an outdated and ill-informed state law. I am sure it came about in an attempt to reduce disease outbreaks, but FeLV is not spread easily unless cats have close contact. Kansas has the same rate of FeLV as other states. This policy is not evidence-based and should be removed. I know a lot of people are trying. Do you have to test for FeLV in the first place? Fortunately, FeLV is <5%, so looking into options to transfer out of state is a good idea. Maybe Austin Pets Alive could help in some cases.
    Cheers,
    -Julie

Julie Levy
    Million Cat Challenge

• 44.  RE: Webcast: Feline Leukemia Testing: One and Done for Everyone - December 15

Posted 12-16-2021 12:20 PM
    We test all cats 6-8 weeks and older for FeLV using the IDEXX snap test.  We test all cats because most of our kittens and many of our adult cats are adopted from our satellite (cats only) location that has colony housing.  FeLV positives are placed up for adoption.  Our program has been going well.

Elizabeth Vincenzi
    Progressive Animal Welfare Society

• 45.  RE: Webcast: Feline Leukemia Testing: One and Done for Everyone - December 15

Posted 12-19-2021 12:07 PM
    Sounds like a great program Elizabeth! Thanks for everything you are doing for the cats.

Julie Levy
    Million Cat Challenge

• 46.  RE: Webcast: Feline Leukemia Testing: One and Done for Everyone - December 15

Posted 12-16-2021 12:20 PM

Dr. Frenden-Tarant and Dr. Levy- do you have the same thoughts on FIV testing as routine for private practice still?

Thank you!

Claire Page
    Self employed

• 47.  RE: Webcast: Feline Leukemia Testing: One and Done for Everyone - December 15

Posted 12-19-2021 10:52 AM
    Hello Claire,

Great question! FIV is much less contagious than FeLV and has been shown not to spread in group housing in which cats are healthy and do not fight. It's not to say that it cannot ever happen, but the risk appears to be very low. For that reason, it's even less important for shelters to test for FIV. However if they are going to test, the combo tests are often not more expensive than the single FeLV tests.

Cheers,

-Julie

Julie Levy
    Million Cat Challenge

• 48.  RE: Webcast: Feline Leukemia Testing: One and Done for Everyone - December 15

Posted 12-17-2021 09:16 AM

We do not have a physical shelter.  We do not test for FIV but do test for FeLV.  We do not test TNR cats.  We do adoptions out of pet retailers so cannot take FIV or FeLV positive cats.  We pull primarily from animal control facilities. When we get a cat who has tested positive for Feline leukemia, we do retest using an Idexx SNAP test.  All of the FeLVies have gone to our sanctuary.  Our adoption team is really excited to launch this program.  Our adoption team lead is really good at finding homes for the FIV+ cats and we expect this to continue with the FeLVies.  She is training the pet care specialist so everyone is able to provide accurate information.  We are working on getting our clinic staff up to speed.  Attached is our Callie (yes, I know, she came in with that name.)

Trudy Bennett
    Texas Litter Control.org

• 49.  RE: Webcast: Feline Leukemia Testing: One and Done for Everyone - December 15

Posted 12-19-2021 10:55 AM
    Hello Trudy,

Happy to hear your team is excited about starting an FeLV adoption  program. I promise it will be easier than you think and will bring tons of pride and satisfaction to the team like your FIV program does. Be sure to check in with @Monica Tarant since she is loaded up with great tips already.

Cheers,

-Julie

Julie Levy
    Million Cat Challenge

• 50.  RE: Webcast: Feline Leukemia Testing: One and Done for Everyone - December 15

Posted 12-28-2021 06:31 PM
      |   view attached
    In the attached PDF, Dr. Julie Levy, Monica Frenden-Tarant and Cameron Moore answer questions that were not addressed during the live webcast. 

alison gibson

Attachment(s)

• 51.  RE: Webcast: Feline Leukemia Testing: One and Done for Everyone - December 15

Posted 09-12-2022 07:56 AM
    I have watched the on-demand webinar, but cannot access the quiz to obtain the CE.  Please let me know what steps I need to take. Thank you for your time. This seminar was enlightening!

Caitlin Cavanaugh
    Hawaii Island Humane Society

• 52.  RE: Webcast: Feline Leukemia Testing: One and Done for Everyone - December 15

Posted 09-12-2022 09:55 AM

Hi Caitlin,

Thank  you for your post.  Maddie's University shows you have yet to take and pass the quiz, which will open up the certificate component for you.

By the way, did you watch the webcast live or on demand?  

Sincerely,
    Alison

alison gibson
    Senior Media Specialist
    Maddie's Fund

• 53.  RE: Webcast: Feline Leukemia Testing: One and Done for Everyone - December 15

Posted 09-13-2022 09:04 AM
    Hi, Caitlin:
    The system didn't record your completion of the presentation. This happens if you watch the video on YouTube or you close the video and go back in again. I marked you as complete, so the quiz should be unlocked for you now. If you have any further issues, please email maddiesuniversity@maddiesfund.org and they will get right back to you. Thanks for helping the cats!
    Erika

Erika Shaffer
    Maddie's Fund