Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  HASS Toolkit Information - Field Services and Public Safety

Posted 09-11-2021 09:17 AM
    Hi everyone, 

I am Jerrica Owen, the Director of Partnerships and Program with the National Animal Care and Control Association, I am also the lead for the Field Services Working group with HASS! 

Traditionally field services roles were primarily dedicated to impounding animals, tackling cruelty and neglect, getting unsafe animals off the streets, and issuing citations to people violating animal statutes. More recently, these roles have been expanded to include countless other services, including outreach/education, providing supplies and food, helping pet owners access veterinary services, and getting lost pets home quickly and safely! 
    HASS is all about building safe, humane communities. HASS embraces a One Health approach which means the health of animals is tied to the health of people and the environment. When animal services focus on addressing root causes that lead to public safety issues, provide resources to keep dogs safely in their yards, and put a high priority on swiftly resolving situations that put people and animals in danger, the community will be safer. Additionally, when communities implement the HASS elements effectively, more animals will be sterilized, vaccinated and identified and pet related problems will be resolved before they become dangerous to health and safety.

You can access the TOOL KIT here! Field Services and Public Safety | HASS (humananimalsupportservices.org)

Our group would love to hear from YOU! Use this thread to ask questions, comments, related to the toolkit and what else we can add to help support field services in your community!

#FieldServicesandPublicSafety*
    #FieldServicesandPublicSafety*

------------------------------
    Jerrica owen
    NACA

• 2.  RE: HASS Toolkit Information - Field Services and Public Safety

Posted 09-12-2021 05:11 PM
    Hi Jerrica,

I am trying to change language for cats in Seminole county, Florida to get support for TNVR. They do not support TNVR and will pick up eartipped cats.  I spoke at the advisory board meeting this week and they are planning to change language for dangerous dog cases and remove Greyhound language so this is a window of opportunity to change cat language.  What tips and advice can you share to make this happen?

Cathy Houde
    Pet Alliance of Greater Orlando

• 3.  RE: HASS Toolkit Information - Field Services and Public Safety

Posted 09-13-2021 09:46 AM
    Hi Cathy!! I would be happy to help! I will email you offline! Thank you for reaching out for wanting to change the language and help the kitties! Jerrica

Jerrica owen
    NACA