Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Open Adoptions Questions

Posted 12-13-2021 10:31 AM
    For anyone who has been digging into their adoption process or hoping to increase adoptions- What questions/issues have come up for you or your staff/volunteers when talking about open adoptions? When it comes to removing landlord checks, vet checks, home checks etc- shortening or removing adoption applications/questionnaires, what are you hearing?
    Would particularly love to hear from anyone at a rescue organization as well! Feel free to fill out this form https://forms.gle/scEAtHVHV5K1U5dm8 or comment on this thread! Thanks!

#AdoptionsandAdoptionPrograms
    #EducationandTraining

------------------------------
    Clare Callison
    American Pets Alive
    ------------------------------

• 2.  RE: Open Adoptions Questions

This message was posted by a user wishing to remain anonymous
    Posted 12-14-2021 08:35 AM
    This message was posted by a user wishing to remain anonymous

I have found that open adoptions creates a nonjudgemental process for most people. I have learned that some people really do not have a lot of family so they do not have many refrences to use. I noticed for our shelters if gives everyone a chance to give a pet a loving home without the fear that they may not "qualify". I had one of our rescue partners call our cinic for vet references for a client and I got busy and forgot to call her back that same day and by the time I remembered it had been about a week before they could even process the adoption. I think both options have their pros and cons. Sometimes I feel like not having open adoptions can be somewhat unfair to clients who are looking to make a difference in the life of an animal. I feel this way because at a placed I worked at prior to my current career they declined an application because of the lack of vet care. When I looked at the application I did not see a lack of vet care I just saw a person who lacked education. The applicant grew up with animals however the way she was rasied is you only take an animal to the vet when it is very sick and not for any other reason and that is what the applicant thought was right and omced education was provided the client was a great pet parent. I think that if we want to keep shelters from staying at capacity we need to use open adoptions and continue to welcome people in instead of making them feel discouraged with an application process that can make them feel scrutinized.

• 3.  RE: Open Adoptions Questions

Posted 12-14-2021 09:09 AM
    Thank you so much for your insight here- it’s really great to hear personal stories and perspectives- very helpful, thank you!

---------------------------------
    Clare Callison

American Pets Alive
    ---------------------------------