Animal Welfare Professionals

• 1.  Discharge in 5 year old cat

Posted 07-10-2020 10:27 PM

Gross cat stuff warning!

Yesterday my boyfriend noticed his 5 year old female cat, Leon, had an off white/pus colored goo coming from her vagina. She has also seemed more tired and he described her looking under the weather. She is usually a very loud and rambunctious cat. We havent noticed any sort of rash or bloating yet, and no blood or redness in the goo either. He has absolutely no way of taking her to the vet at the moment, so if anyone has any idea what this could be or how we can go about fighting any infection in a cost effective manner, I would appreciate knowing. She is also still intact and she has had one litter of kittens in the past, but it was around the time she was a year old (so a while ago). 

#discharge
    #cats
    #PetHealthandNutrition

• 2.  RE: Discharge in 5 year old cat

Posted 07-13-2020 06:37 AM

I'm no vet, but my first thought was pyrometra, an infection of the uterus. The severity can vary, but needs treatment quickly, since it can be fatal if the uterus ruptures. Even if your boyfriend can't take her to vet right now, I would suggest he call some local vets and see if anyone is willing to do a phone consult or video chat to look at her and advise how urgently she needs care or whether there are any over-the-counter options.

Do you have a thermometer to check and see if she is running a fever? (If she's a feisty girl, it might be a two-person job!)

Where are you located? Maybe someone here can recommend a low-cost clinic or other assistance program in your area.

#PetHealthandNutrition

• 3.  RE: Discharge in 5 year old cat

Posted 07-13-2020 06:42 AM

Oops...spotted a typo; that should be pyometra, if you decide to look it up and see if the symptoms match.

#PetHealthandNutrition

• 4.  RE: Discharge in 5 year old cat

Posted 07-14-2020 10:20 PM

after looking at the symptoms I'm also thinking this is pyometra. we are located in southwest detroit currently. thank you so much for your reply!

#PetHealthandNutrition

• 5.  RE: Discharge in 5 year old cat

Posted 07-13-2020 04:08 PM

I agree, it sounds like you need to get her checked out. I'm so sorry to hear about your BF's financial situation. Where do you live?  We might be able to help you find a low cost place to take her. 

Sheila

#PetHealthandNutrition

• 6.  RE: Discharge in 5 year old cat

Posted 07-14-2020 10:19 PM

thank you so much for the reply. we are currently in southwest detroit! 

#PetHealthandNutrition

• 7.  RE: Discharge in 5 year old cat

Posted 07-16-2020 09:33 AM

Sorry to hear about your boyfriend's cat! Here are some possible resources for veterinary care assistance:

The Pet Fund (http://www.thepetfund.com/ or 916.503.0550): focuses on non-basic, non-urgent care for individuals who have had their pets for six months or longer 

• Red Rover (http://www.redrover.org/), which offers financial assistance grants so pet caregivers can care for animals who need urgent veterinary care (through their relief grants program).
    • Onyx and Breezy Foundation (onyxandbreezy.org)
    • Paws 4ACure (http://www.paws4acure.org/) provides financial assistance throughout the U.S. to those who cannot afford veterinary care

In addition to the above sites, here are some websites that have extensive lists of organizations that provide financial aid for vet care.  Please note, some of these funding organizations are specific to breed, location or illness.

And finally, we’re aware of a few resources veterinarians and pet caregivers can access:

• Scratchpay.com: https://scratchpay.com/ - an app with payment plan options. Since it is not a credit card, it does not affect credit scores.
    • Varidi: varidi.com - enables businesses such as veterinarians to offer flexible payment options to their customers.
    • The AVMA Vet Care Charitable Fund: vccfund.org - provides financial assistance through veterinarians that apply on your behalf and are licensed AVMA members.
    • Waggle Foundation: www.waggle.org - Ask your veterinarian if they are partners with Waggle. Waggle veterinary partners may be able to access the organization’s crowd funding platform.

#PetHealthandNutrition