Animal Welfare Professionals

• 1.  Just adopted a rescue from Puerto Rico and poor thing is feral - help?

Posted 07-02-2020 07:36 PM

Hi all.  About 2 weeks ago I adopted a 3 lb dog rescued from Puerto Rico. I was told he was shy.  It is more than that. He is feral.  He is completely afraid of humans, he constantly runs and hides, he won't go out on a leash, he hides and shakes constantly. I have tried everything.  The only thing he does is eat and stay in his bed.  Period. If I even go near him, he bolts.  I feel so bad for him but I don't know what to do. I asked the shelter today about it and all they said was that the dogs from P. Rico have problems.  I would say there is zero improvement in 2 weeks. If anything, I think it is worse.  Anyone have such an experience. I want to give this poor guy a good life and so far it is simply heart breaking.

#PetBehaviorandTraining

• 2.  RE: Just adopted a rescue from Puerto Rico and poor thing is feral - help?

Posted 07-03-2020 11:43 AM

I had one very similar. I put him in a crate in the middle if our home, where he could watch the other dogs and us. He ate in there too. I also covered part of the crate in the evening to make him even more comfortable.  The crate becomes his secure place. I had to pick him up out of his crate to go to the bathroom because he wouldn't even come out on his own for this. He didn't want any kind of treats at all. 

He sat in his crate and watched all of us. 2 1/2 weeks later he finally took his first step out of the crate on his own! He needs security and time.

#PetBehaviorandTraining

• 3.  RE: Just adopted a rescue from Puerto Rico and poor thing is feral - help?

Posted 07-03-2020 02:54 PM

Bless you  for wanting to help this pup.  Although he may be truly feral, he may also still be somewhat traumatized by the whole experience of being caught, put on a plane, driven to a noisy shelter, then taken to another unfamiliar place.  For now, the best thing you can do is not try to engage your dog (hard as that is!).  Leave him space to observe you, don't look at him directly.  Imagine if you were in a room with a lion.  Anytime the lion approached you, your first instinct would be to run.  But if the lion completely ignored you and didn't seem to know you existed, you would gradually get braver.

Routine is also very important for fearful dogs.  Feedings at the same time every day.  Is he using potty pads? (I'm guessing you can't take him outside to potty) Clean the area up at the same time every day.  If you have to do something scary (grind coffee, vaccum) try to do it at a regular time.  The more predictable life is, the less frightening it becomes.  

Here's are some web posts:  article from Best Friends about fearful/feral dogs; tips on how to behave around shy dogs.  This website is from a trainer who works with fearful dogs.  Definitely look for a trainer in your area who has worked with very shy dogs.  He or she can offer many useful ideas and tips, especially in the area of body language.  

Good luck!  Your pup will improve, although it will takes lots of patience and acceptance.

#PetBehaviorandTraining

• 4.  RE: Just adopted a rescue from Puerto Rico and poor thing is feral - help?

Posted 07-04-2020 05:55 AM

I WOULD SAY TWO WEEKS IS NOT NEARLY ENOUGH TIME BUT YOU WILL HAVE TO KEEP MAKING BABY STEPS UNTIL HE IS MORE COMFORTABLE.  MAY NEVER HAVE BEEN AROUND HUMANS IN A GOOD WAY.  OFTEN, A RESCUE CAN TAKE A YEAR TO TRUST.  DON'T PUT PRESSURE ON HIM OR EXPECT HIM TO BE LIKE A PET BUT MAYBE GET DOWN TO HIS LEVEL AND JUST BE QUIET AND PATIENT.  I KNOW THERE ARE OTHERS OUT THERE WITH MORE EXPERIENCE, HOPE THEY REACH OUT TO YOU AND THANK YOU FOR CARING ENOUGH TO TRY.

#PetBehaviorandTraining

• 5.  RE: Just adopted a rescue from Puerto Rico and poor thing is feral - help?

Posted 07-26-2020 08:40 PM

A few months ago read about a book geared to rescue dogs and the specific problems they may have. It was super pricey Amazon but after searching around found it for $15 on a Cairn Rescue site. Bought it...has some excellent suggestions for people who are looking to make their rescue dogs feel comfortable with their surroundings.

Saw on YouTube an endorsement by Dr. Karen Becker..a holistic vet who has a website.

https://www.cairnrescue.com/a-sound-beginning-book-adoption-manual-and-cd/

It may be something you'd want to check out. It's been a few week since you wrote, maybe you've made some headway with bonding. Even if you don't end up buying the book at least check out the video. It has some really good ideas that may be of some help.

We've had our rescue a year so wondered if it was something that would still be valuable to read. Called and talked with someone at the rescue and they said definitely. I don't believe they were saying that just to sell a book either.

Don't give up..it may take some time but when he starts to relax and know he is finally safe you'll see his true personality come out.

#PetBehaviorandTraining

• 6.  RE: Just adopted a rescue from Puerto Rico and poor thing is feral - help?

Posted 08-29-2020 11:04 PM

Hi,

I think you should give your dog proper training or can consult with a professional trainer who can guide your dog well.  There are various training equipment for dog available in the market. Also, try to be friendly with him, take him out daily, play with him, provide some extra love and care. This might help him to get involved with everyone.

#PetBehaviorandTraining