Animal Welfare Professionals

• 1.  Fees reduced for foster

Posted 05-30-2020 09:39 AM

Hi, I am fostering a mom and 5 kittens. I want to keep mom, a son, and buy a girl to gift to my nephew. Haha. Will this cost me 500?:) do fosters get a discount? What is the age they go and process..I know nothing. Spca Lakeland Florida. I had to leave a message. The kitties are 5 weeks now. TiA

#AdoptingaPet

• 2.  RE: Fees reduced for foster

Posted 05-30-2020 10:32 AM

Most shelters have some sort of paperwork that answers some of your questions. Shelters are often very busy, somewhat chaotic places so it can be hard for them to answer messages, especially with all the shutdowns. Check their website for an email address for their foster coordinator/volunteer or for fostering resources like a welcome packet.

You could also look at some of Maddie's resources https://www.maddiesfund.org/flash-classes.htm

If you have no luck there, I'm not sure if they'll give you a discount but I know some shelters do a buy one get one discount on kittens. Most shelters operate at a financial loss each year so they really have to pinch every penny. Kittens usually stay in foster care until they are 2lbs (min weight for them to be spayed/neutered) which happens around 8-10 weeks. It costs about $150 in food and litter to raise a litter of 5 kittens and their mom and that doesn't include vaccinations, medications and surgery.

Hopefully you can get a hold of someone. I bet email will be more effective. Good luck and thank you for fostering, it really does save lives : )

#AdoptingaPet

• 3.  RE: Fees reduced for foster

Posted 05-30-2020 10:56 AM

Thank you so much. I will do this. I have really not asked for care resources from them. Awesome. I know they need money too. This answered alot. 

#AdoptingaPet

• 4.  RE: Fees reduced for foster

Posted 06-01-2020 09:24 AM

You should double-check the shelter you are fostering with's policies on gift-giving. Many will not let you adopt an animal to gift to someone outside of your household; your nephew may need to apply for the kitten he is interested in (even if you want to pay the adoption fee as a very sweet gift!). 

Checking the website and any documentation they've given you is a great idea, but I would also recommend talking to your volunteer coordinator / foster coordinator / foster mentor... whichever person from the shelter helped "onboard" and train you :) they should know the answers to these questions! 

#AdoptingaPet