2022 Open Arms Challenge

View Only
  • 1.  Language Translations

Posted 12-09-2021 11:24 AM
    We were looking into having a few of our forms translated into Spanish for our guests, but keep running into the problem where we don't have anyone on staff to then translate the answers and communicate with the Spanish-speaking individuals. Is anyone else running into this issue?

------------------------------
    HSHCMeganB _

• 2.  RE: Language Translations

Posted 12-10-2021 06:10 AM
    We are lucky to be in a college town, with two small colleges and a community college.  So we emailed every Spanish teacher that we could find and asked if we could be an assignment.  We have marketing materials, application (small) and adoption contract.  We also got in touch with three different high school teachers.  Every one was willing to help to some small degree. To get their information, we put a plea out to our foster homes (most with kids) and to the volunteers (lots of high school and college kids earning hours).  Two of our kitten fosters are fluent in Spanish, so they managed the go between and looked over stuff.   If you have a high school or college near you, look for a Spanish group there.  Also, ask on your Facebook and IG pages for volunteers.  Its best to put together a team or group that can handle phone calls and questions.  If none can be found and if no one steps up to help, then I would check if it is a popular language in your area.

Frances Alford
    Director
    Its Meow or Never for Ferals

• 3.  RE: Language Translations

Posted 12-16-2021 02:18 PM
    I LOVE the idea of having your translation work be an assignment for language classes - this is genius!  And it's totally win/win - you get the information you need and they get real world experience.

Amber Eby
    Maddie's Fund

• 4.  RE: Language Translations

Posted 12-17-2021 06:36 AM

Hi,  Great minds think alike.  I, too have created a multilingual trifold brochure in English, French (the native language of the French settlers in South Louisiana), Spanish (the language of settlers on New Orleans and from out sister state, Texas to the west) and German (the language still spoken in a nearby community to the west that holds tightly to its heritage).  It was a challenge to get these translations verified but with connections in the University system students and Professors were able to help.  

The brochure is in line with my sanctuary where I care for FIV and FeLV  positive cats.  The need to house and care for these cats is great and without the connection with rescues, Veterinarians and the public, these cats are frequently euthanized because of old-school training and knowledge or lack of knowledge of where and how these cats can be cared for.  

it is also in line with my job at a high-volume, low-cost spay/neuter clinic where we frequently engage pet parents who do not have English as a first language but do utilize these translations into their languages.  

I am not sure how to attaché the brochures to this email but I would love to share them.

Amy Fisher
    Positively Cats Sanctuary

• 5.  RE: Language Translations

Posted 12-20-2021 10:14 AM
    Hey Amy -

That's so cool and thanks for the history lesson, too!

If you'd like to share the brochures, you can do so at the bottom of your post.  Right above where you would hit post to submit, instead click Upload File and then you can share the file from your computer.  

I put in a screenshot below.  The Upload File button is highlighted in yellow.

Thanks again!
    Amber 

Amber Eby
    Maddie's Fund

• 6.  RE: Language Translations

Posted 12-24-2021 02:41 AM
    Hi Amber,

Now I understand why I was having so much difficulty on attaching the brochures and sending them to you and the others.  I was trying to do it on my iphone and the upload file button is on the computer!  

I have three translations besides the English format.  I will upload the files and hope you can get them.
    Thank you for the help.  Since these are double sided and trifold it might be easier to print one and fold it to get an idea of what they look like.

Amy Fisher

Amy Fisher

Attachment(s)

pdf
    Spanish_newGracie (4).pdf   820 KB 1 version
    pdf
    German_newGracie.pdf   828 KB 1 version
    pdf
    French_newGracie.pdf   811 KB 1 version
    html
    English_newGracie.pdf.html   649 KB 1 version

• 7.  RE: Language Translations

Posted 12-27-2021 02:20 PM
    Thanks so much for sharing Amy!

Amber Eby
    Maddie's Fund

• 8.  RE: Language Translations

Posted 12-17-2021 09:27 AM
      |   view attached
    This is such a wonderful idea and one we will be sure to use. We work with many rescuers and networkers and some vets in Mexico. we have many communication platforms with Spanish speaking individuals. We have tried google translate and although at first it seems like such am amazing tool it can make some very big mistakes and when dealing with results for test and medicines this can be a recipe for disaster. In the past we have borrowed our kids and friends with limited Spanish skills as have our friends across the border to understand English and i fear put far too much emphasis on them understanding us rather than us them.. recently we went on a crusade to find a bilingual volunteer in fact we are always now on the lookout. an amazing volunteer who now translates for us. It has been a game changer she came to us from the medical field after adopting a puppy form us. she is amazing .... also, knowing that she is translating exactly what she is reading or hearing rather than a possibly biased adaptation of the truth. Our ability to do more for rescues working against the odds in the valley and over the border has increased along with our confidence to take a dog with significant medical needs as we can help more confidently. Our friends in Mexico have really enjoyed us learning to share their language and make an effort to understand more fully their culture and what they bring to rescue. We actually recently purchased babble for anyone in the rescue...including the children who wants to pick up the basics. Its been a blast! Hola:)

matchdog morlino