We Foster Challenge

View Only
  • 1.  State Laws & Regulations Re: Foster Homes

Posted 04-04-2022 12:22 PM
    Hi All! I'm excited about the We Foster Challenge and looking forward to finding new ways to expand our foster programs. I'm the Foster Care Coordinator for a private non-profit shelter in New Hampshire, and I've run into a few issues during our inspections by the Department of Agriculture. It seems as though the powers that be here in NH have an old-school mentality when it comes to foster care. Legally, we can use foster homes for medical and behavioral rehabilitation (not for an extension of space), and that's it. Apparently, kennel stress isn't enough of a reason for us to send an animal into foster care (according to the state). We'd love to implement a safety net foster program, but I know that won't fly with the state, since the animals won't always fall into the medical or behavioral rehab categories.

Luckily, our veterinarian is on board with growing our foster programs, and is especially happy when we can get our most stressed out animals into loving foster homes. She has backed me on multiple occasions when the state has questioned why an animal is in foster care. However, I think it's time for an update to our state's policies. Foster care isn't something we should need to justify and defend every time we get a surprise inspection.

I'm wondering if anyone has faced similar roadblocks in their states? If so, how did you overcome them? Does anyone have experience writing petitions or working with government officials to work through the red tape in place?

Looking forward to hearing from you!

------------------------------
    Caryn Fugatt
    Foster Care Coordinator
    Pope Memorial Humane Society - Cocheco Valley

• 2.  RE: State Laws & Regulations Re: Foster Homes

Posted 04-06-2022 11:50 AM
      |   view attached
    I'm not super familiar with the foster regulations in NH, but I'm attaching a new resource that may be helpful-- it lists research that supports foster being a better placement for pets. It's wonderful that your vet is supportive!

Kelly Duer
    Maddie's Fund

• 3.  RE: State Laws & Regulations Re: Foster Homes

Posted 04-07-2022 07:11 AM
    Thank you, Kelly! I have been looking into the proper path to petition this particular law, and this research will come in handy. Hopefully we can make some changes for the better!

Caryn Fugatt
    Foster Care Coordinator
    Pope Memorial Humane Society - Cocheco Valley

• 4.  RE: State Laws & Regulations Re: Foster Homes

Posted 04-07-2022 05:57 AM
    Hi Caryn! 

I don't have a lot of advice, but I want to say I emphasize with your struggle! I'm in NY and one of the things about Ag & Markets that hurts our foster program is not being able to send animals in foster who are on stray hold, despite what kind of medical or behavioral care they may benefit from in those 5 business days.

Emily Roberts
    Shelter Operations Manager
    Cortland County SPCA
    she/her