Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  COVID Safety Protocol for Mass Vaccination of Pets

Posted 06-16-2021 04:41 AM
      |   view attached
    Ya'at'eeh from the Navajo Nation. 

I wanted to reach out to see if anyone has a  COVID safety protocol for mass vaccination of pets.  The mass vaccination of pets will be a drive-up process; where pets and their humans will stay in their vehicles and the animal organizations will be masked, vaccinated and when possible be socially distanced.  I didn't want to reinvent the wheel if such a document exists.  I tried to reach out to our local Indian Health Services since they are the entity that provides the mass vaccinations for humans but that communication did not get any results on my requests.

Our tribe is still in the "orange" COVID emergency status.  I will be seeking approval from the Navajo Nation Health Department and the Department of Emergency Management to approve this document so that our planning/scheduling can begin.  Our reservation falls within a rural veterinary shortage designation where pets owners would have to travel an average of a 55mile radius to obtain care, which has appointments scheduled out to September.  Animal Rez-Q Inc wants to bring mass vaccinations to five centralized areas on the reservation to have pets vaccinated.  We hope to follow through with spay/neuter alterations.

I hope I am able to get some responses, there was not a topic area nor subject line for this discussion.  Best to each of you.  Thanks for all you do.  Glenda
    #PeopleManagement

------------------------------
    Glenda Davis
    Animal Rez-Q, Inc.

Attachment(s)

pdf
    NN SN Agency Sites 2021.pdf   391 KB 1 version

• 2.  RE: COVID Safety Protocol for Mass Vaccination of Pets

Posted 06-17-2021 03:42 PM
      |   view attached
    Hi Glenda, 

While not specific to mass vaccinations, Human Animal Support Services (HASS) put together a document about "How to Safely Distribute Products During Covid" that does have a lot of language and protocols that you can adapt to your mass vaccination clinic to keep your staff, volunteers and community members safe during the event. 

Hope this provides some inspiration and thanks for the amazing work you do for people and pets in the Navajo Nation!

Charlotte Otero
    Community Strategist at Maddie's Fund
    she/her

Attachment(s)

• 3.  RE: COVID Safety Protocol for Mass Vaccination of Pets

Posted 06-18-2021 10:38 AM
    Thank you for the information.  Great resource documented from an animal organization during this time of COVID prevention.

Glenda Davis
    Animal Rez-Q, Inc.

• 4.  RE: COVID Safety Protocol for Mass Vaccination of Pets

Posted 06-18-2021 05:11 PM
    Thank you for this question, Glenda, and for the resource document, Charlotte!

I'm going to reach out to Animal Shelter of Sullivan County Inc, which actually conducted vaccine clinics during the No Place Like Home Challenge.  Please stay tuned...

Irene Chansawang
    Maddie's Fund

• 5.  RE: COVID Safety Protocol for Mass Vaccination of Pets

Posted 07-07-2021 09:29 AM

Hi Glenda - I was given permission to share this advice: 

We followed the lead and direction of the county health department.

In our vaccine clinic we had multiple stations including paperwork, information verification, payment, fulfillment, and the end were our techs who would go to the car and remove the animal out and our veterinarian in her tent would vaccinate. We had runners to deliver the vaccines and paperwork. Everyone was spaced out to maintain social distancing guidelines. All parties wear masks and gloves. All owners stay in their vehicles. Cats are vaccinated in carriers and each cat had to be in their own carrier. All dogs had to be on leash for the techs to retrieve for the veterinarian.

Each vehicle was given a number for their dashboard and that number was written on the paperwork and placed in a transport box. The same box followed the paperwork and vehicle. The boxes were sanitized after each vehicle, as were any pens or clipboards.

I hope this helps! Let me know if I can provide any additional information.

Cindy Holmes

Executive Director

Animal Shelter of Sullivan County

Irene Chansawang
    Maddie's Fund

• 6.  RE: COVID Safety Protocol for Mass Vaccination of Pets

Posted 06-30-2021 11:47 AM
    Speaking of that, are all COVID vaccines for animals accepted everywhere, or are there vaccines that aren't recognised by some countries, like with human vaccines? I'm asking because I live and work in Russia and would like to know whether the Russian Carnivac-Cov vaccine would be recognised in Europe and the US.

Olivier Vandebroucke
    IP Olivier Vandebroucke