Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Do you see a benefit in high-quality, high-volume spay-neuter/private practice clinics working with pyometra patients?

• 1.  Do you see a benefit in high-quality, high-volume spay-neuter/private practice clinics working with pyometra patients?

Posted 01-25-2021 03:04 PM
    Don't miss the upcoming live webcast this Wednesday, January 27 at 11am PST on Maddie's University. The webinar will provide details regarding pricing, treatment and self-reported outcomes of pyometra management in the High Quality High Volume Spay-Neuter (HQHVSN) environment as well as a Q&A with our panel speakers.

In anticipation for this week's webcast, we want to learn more about your experience with pyometra on the local level.

Fact: Most (83%) of High Quality High Volume Spay-Neuter clinics are willing to accept referrals for emergency pyometra surgery and can generally see patients the same day (50%) or next day (42%).

Within your community, do you see a benefit in HQHVSN/private practice clinics working with pyometra patients?

Let us know your thoughts below and be sure to register for the webcast to learn more on the subject.

#Medicine,SurgeryandSterilization

------------------------------
    Maddie's Pet Forum Admin
    Maddie's Fund
    they/them

• 2.  RE: Do you see a benefit in high-quality, high-volume spay-neuter/private practice clinics working with pyometra patients?

Posted 01-27-2021 11:56 AM
    There was a brief discussion about some less-desirable side effects with Simbadol for TNR, but not mentioned when using buprenorphine SR.  Why would that be? And unfortunately, in NC, we cannot get buprenorphine SR from Zoopharm/ Wedgewood (I heard something about a lost compounding license in NC)-- any other sources of bupSR?

Tonya Sparks
    Forsyth Humane Society

• 3.  RE: Do you see a benefit in high-quality, high-volume spay-neuter/private practice clinics working with pyometra patients?

Posted 01-28-2021 12:17 PM
    Thank you for the question!

I asked my panelist and here is the answer I received:

"It's only available through ZooPharm and is a compounded medication. They had licensing issues in a few states, including PA, where I am, but eventually got it all sorted out. I am unsure why many of us have seen side effects with simbadol, but I have never had a case of hyperthermia or increased agitation with BUP SR."

Dr. Ariella Samson

I hope this answers your questions!

Ashlee McCallin
    Midwestern University CVM