Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  New Trailer Park

Posted 07-19-2021 10:39 AM
    There are plans for a new trailer park in town. As the TNR coordinator my main concern is the proliferation of cats associated with these facilities. I wonder if anyone here would share experiences reaching out to trailer park owners, maybe assisting in implementing spay/neuter policies etc. We have low cost spay/neuter resources in our community. My wish is to prevent a hot spot, rather than mitigating the situation later. Any input appreciated!
    #CommunityCatManagement

------------------------------
    MW Cats

• 2.  RE: New Trailer Park

Posted 07-20-2021 09:29 AM
    Hi!

@Stacy LeBaron
    @Danielle Bays
    @Monica Tarant

any advice?
    Thanks!!!​​​

xo,
    Amber

Amber Freiwald
    Maddie's Fund

• 3.  RE: New Trailer Park

Posted 07-20-2021 10:41 AM
    Hi there,

I think it would be a great idea to flyer any new community, regardless of the housing type, with proactive information on pet resources available so everyone can make use of them, which might help keep families together, prevent avoidable surrender, unwanted litters, etc. Perhaps you will also get some new fosters and volunteers out of it! However, I would not use language specific to any particular housing type here so as not to accidentally generalize or stereotype any populations. Good luck!

Monica Frenden
    American Pets Alive

• 4.  RE: New Trailer Park

Posted 07-21-2021 06:34 AM
    I'm interested to learn about ideas folks suggest here, and what kind of success you have with a intake-prevention program.

A big issue we find with parks in our county is folks who don't have cars can't access the resources that are available. We tend to end up with designated drivers coming to the shelter to get assistance for their neighbors, but it means we don't directly connect with some of the people who are on the ground dealing with cats. I wonder if there are ways you could bring more resources to the community. For example, a quarterly visit offering free ID tags, helping folks complete spay/neuter applications, giving tips on entertaining indoor cats, etc. If the park office or some other central location would be willing to host something like that, maybe it would allow more direct contact with folks who tend to be the cat caretakers as opposed to the owners sending notices that may or may not be followed.

As far as setting up a relationship with the owners, do you know if they own/manage any other parks? Do any of them have issues with too many cats? Maybe discussing it as a way to prevent a problem they have probably fielded complaints about would work well.

Emme Hones

• 5.  RE: New Trailer Park

Posted 07-21-2021 07:38 AM
    Hello, I agree with what Monica posted except my first approach would be the management company and the developers to introduce yourself as a resource for the new community.  They can and will be your best advocates. Most trailer parks have resident councils.  Find out when they will be set up and get friendly with those folks- again they will also be your best advocates and you can use their channels to funnel information about the resources you offer. 

Reach out early and often- that is my motto.

Good luck, Stacy

PS some trailer parks can be really nice and well managed communities.  So as Monica said you may find more donors, volunteers etc vs needs for helps.  I have received donations from management companies in the past.

stacy lebaron

• 6.  RE: New Trailer Park

Posted 07-21-2021 12:01 PM
    Glad to hear you want to be proactive! 

I second what Stacy suggests about connecting with management and residents early on. That's good advice for any new residential complex, like apartment buildings.  You need to be seen as a trusted resource, so that people will come to you when they need help or a problem arises -- before it gets out of hand. 

A key, for both new and existing neighborhoods, is developing a presence, an ongoing relationship. It's not just a one and done kind of thing. Recruit volunteers from the new neighborhood to be advocates, to talk to their neighbors about what resources are available, and to alert you if something comes up -- or a cat shows up. Your local advocates can also help you understand if that community has particular needs or challenges (like lack of transportation). Remember community engagement is two way communication. In addition to flyering and posting information on message boards for residents, have face-to-face conversations, knock on doors, chat up people on the corner, wherever people are in that community.

I also suggest looking at what is around the new development. Are there cats in an adjacent neighborhood that may migrate to a nice, new home? Do community engagement there as well. 

good luck!

daniellebays

• 7.  RE: New Trailer Park

Posted 07-25-2021 05:24 PM
    Absolutely! But first of all I would like to suggest to the park owner a spay/neuter policy. I wonder if anyone has done that, and would share their experience and a sample contract. Also, some of our local parks have horrendous pet fees (like $50/month per pet!). The result is that there are lots of cats, but nobody openly claims them out of fear being charged. On the other hand, these tenants don't want anyone to take the cats away, because they ARE their pets. So this is a catch 22.

MW Cats