Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Adoption Numbers

This message was posted by a user wishing to remain anonymous
    Posted 09-22-2022 09:39 AM
    This message was posted by a user wishing to remain anonymous

Hi! I work at a shelter in the Southeast, and our adoption numbers continue to decrease despite running different adoption specials and events. My question is, what are some new marketing strategies that you have tried that have helped boost adoptions? Also, are other shelters also seeing a dip in adoption numbers?

Thank you in advance!
    #AdoptionsandAdoptionPrograms
    #FundraisingandDevelopment
    #MarketingandSocialMedia

• 2.  RE: Adoption Numbers

Posted 09-23-2022 12:49 AM

We're a rescue and it's terrifyingly low here. The other rescues by us, as well as the shelters, say the same. Just received a plea from one of the shelter systems in our area (Southern CA) that they are full and are not even charging for people or rescues to pull dogs. We tried taking more dogs than normal, but we have no extra fosters and the adopters we do have will apply at 10 AM and by 2 PM tell us they already got a dog elsewhere or when we interview, they say they are interviewing with ten other rescues/shelters. 

That doesn't help you find new methods...but maybe it validates your experience and offers some commiseration.

------------------------------
    Ann Battenfield
    Senior Team Member
    The Little Red Dog
    Lake Forest

• 3.  RE: Adoption Numbers

Posted 09-23-2022 03:13 AM
    You are not alone. :( We have lower adoptions AND are getting dogs returned- which is not unusual, however these dogs were adopted 2,3,4 years ago.  That part is unusual.  We did a $20 adoption fee for spayed/neutered animals and got some response to that, when our normal specials were not working.  It is a terrible year for shelters and rescues.  The economy plus vet shortage is devastating.  Add staff shortage to that and things seem pretty dismal all around.  I am praying next year is better for everyone.  :(

• 4.  RE: Adoption Numbers

Posted 09-24-2022 12:00 AM
    Yes, Amber, I forgot those two parts. We just had someone return a dog adopted in 2018. We can spend 20 minutes on hold per vet trying to find a vet appointment, meaning it can take me an hour or more just to get vaccines scheduled. It is an incredibly difficult time.

Ann Battenfield
    Senior Team Member
    The Little Red Dog
    Lake Forest