Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

• 1.  Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-03-2021 09:22 AM
    How we talk about cats can influence public attitudes and behavior, so it is important to consider the words, images and stories we use - particularly when we are trying to change the way the public views and responds to our work.

Does the term "feral" hamper efforts to gain public support for community cat programs? How might your fundraising appeals accidentally create backlash against those same programs? In this fast-paced and thought-provoking webinar from Million Cat Challenge, we'll see how we often talk about cats may actually be bad for them and make our work harder. We'll have time after the webinar for discussion and figuring this out together. Plus, there may be bingo!  To play along, download the Bingo Card PDF and cut out one of the cards before the webcast!

Enter to win a brand-new Tomahawk Gravity Trap for your next TNR adventure by replying to Dr. Levy’s post #4 below.

Wednesday, August 18 at 12n Pacific (30-minute presentation + time for discussion and questions)

Presenters:
    Danielle Bays ( @Danielle Bays), Senior Analyst, Cat Protection & Policy, The Humane Society of the United States

Monica Frenden-Tarant ( @Monica Tarant), Maddie's Director of Feline Lifesaving, American Pets Alive!

Julie Levy ( @Julie Levy), Co-Founder, Million Cat Challenge, Maddie's Shelter Medicine Program at University of Florida

This webcast has been pre-approved for 1.00 hour of Certified Animal Welfare Administrator continuing education credits by the Association for Animal Welfare Advancement and continuing education by the National Animal Care & Control Association.

This webcast is now available on demand at Maddie's University. Watch the full presentation here. 

sweet cat in foliage

#CommunityCatManagement
    #EducationandTraining
    #MarketingandSocialMedia
    #TransfersandTransport

------------------------------
    alison gibson
    ------------------------------​​​

• 2.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-04-2021 03:19 AM
    Thank you, Alison! This is going to be super fun and we hope to see a whole bunch of you there!

Monica Frenden
    American Pets Alive

• 3.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-04-2021 06:08 AM
    So excited to watch this, and such an important topic!

Caitlin Quinn
    HeARTs Speak

• 4.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-13-2021 07:32 AM
    BUT WAIT . . . THERE'S MORE!  Tomahawk Live Trap is donating one of their new gravity traps to be given away to an attendee of this webinar. And to make it even better, they are including a clear plexiglass back door. The whole setup makes for a roomier trap with a quieter tripping mechanism that is more enticing for cats to enter because it looks like they can walk all the way through. This is our new favorite trap for TNR programs. 

To sign up for this contest, simply reply to this message with your pitch for why your organization should be the winner and then attend the webinar. Bonus points for pictures, videos, humor, and creativity.  Submission deadline is August 18 at 5 pm ET (one more hour after the webinar)

#allthecats   =^..^=

GT606 Gravity trap from Tomahawk Live Trap
    Julie Levy
    Maddie's Shelter Medicine Program

• 5.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-04-2021 09:13 PM

Here's why we need this trap! So behind our shelter was a big wooded area that is now under development. You know what that means! Aaaaaaalllll the wonderful woodland creatures are now hanging out on our property. I enjoy watching the little families of skunks as they parade around on the back acreage we have. I can even live with trying to rat proof everything so that we aren't providing them with an all you can eat kibble and milk bone buffet. 

What I can't handle that has moved into our property? Phantom.  I can't handle Phantom. Phantom is my nemesis. My arch rival. The bane of my existence. Phantom is this big, beautiful, calico, MASS PRODUCER OF KITTENS. I have had countless come to Jesus talks with this cat. "Phantom. I know you hate all of your kittens. You swat them constantly. You leave them in front of the dog kennels like tiny little meowing sacrifices to the canine gods. If you just GO IN THE TRAP you could be done with this terrible cycle and live a good, wholesome life." Does Phantom listen? Does she go in the trap for the promise of tuna, sardines, tripe or even prime rib? Of course Phantom doesn't. Phantom just lays on top of the trap, her big tail swishing, her green eyes narrowed in that condescending way of hers and stares at me while I count down the days until I am yet again in the position of trying to keep Phantom from mass murdering yet another litter of 5th generation feral kittens. 

Maybe this trap will be the lucky charm? Maybe with this trap finally I will be able to sleep at night without picturing a constantly pregnant phantom draped over every trap I have set for her? Maybe with this trap I will be able to stop checking every potted plants because Phantom also likes to stash kittens there? Maybe. Maybe this could be it! 

Meet Phantom's most recent litter of kittens. 

jamie gibson

• 6.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-04-2021 11:14 PM
    @Jamie Gibson I'll assume you have already tried a drop trap to catch her?

Maurna Winterer

• 7.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-10-2021 08:58 PM
    I have had nemesis cats like phantom too. They have so much more patience that I do and can stare me down or just ignore me altogehter. A drop trap might be just what phantom is waiting for - maybe a local group could lend you one?

Julie Levy
    Maddie's Shelter Medicine Program at the University of Florida

• 8.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-20-2021 07:30 AM
    There are a lot of comments here about hard-to-catch cats. For those without a drop trap, here is a Youtube video on how to make your own. I built my own, exactly like this one, out of snow fence, and it has served me well for many years!

Monica Frenden
    American Pets Alive

• 9.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-20-2021 07:21 AM

I sure hope you catch your Phantom, Jamie. She produces beautiful kittens, but enough already!

Here's a photo of MY Phantom, who was trapped as a terrified 4 month old undomesticated kitten, and who never produced any kittens because she was speyed as soon as she could be handled. She took 5 weeks before she'd even eat in my presence. But look at her now, at 8 years, possibly the most trusting, and one of the most affectionate, cats I've ever known, even though she retains a wee streak of wildness that means "watch my tail" for signs of over-stimulation and a fast grab-and-bite soon to follow. She's a light of my life!

Lethea Erz, Coordinator
    The Peaceable Kin-dom Animal Rescue+Educaton Centre

• 10.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-20-2021 07:51 AM

THIS IS THE FUNNIEST THING I'VE READ *ALL WEEK* AND CACKLED HYSTERICALLY FOR FIVE MINUTES STRAIGHT!

Thank you so much for this gift this morning!!

Brianna Shahly
    Humane Society of West Michigan

• 11.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-04-2021 09:14 PM
    Helping TNR community cats in my community and there are never enough traps! This is the most recent colony where I pulled 2 kittens and have 1 more male to neuter!
    Colony camp

Kelly Jackson

• 12.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-10-2021 08:59 PM
    Thank you for your commitment to doing the hard work for cats Kelly, and for finding a way t get the kittens adopted.

Julie Levy

• 13.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-05-2021 10:07 AM

When I started volunteering with CARE for PETS, I told them about my passion for TNR and supporting our community cats.  They were brave enough to go with my vision and we are building a TNR program from the ground up.  I've been doing TNR for many years, and one thing I've learned is that a good trap is a worthwhile investment.  Especially this year, I've come across some incredibly trap-savvy cats.  I'm not sure if the pandemic has made them grouchy or if they are just too good for the less expensive traps, but some of these cats will not be trapped unless it's in a good trap.  (Maybe they're just high maintenance?)  Regardless, since January 1, 2021, my husband and I have personally trapped over 175 cats and gotten them vetted through this wonderful organization.  

While we love what we do, cat food doesn't come free, traps don't come free, and vetting doesn't come free.  Any assistance we can get, we are happy to ask for.   This trap is an amazing one and I'd love to get it for CARE for PETS and trap a big old tom cat in it!  Specifically a fat orange Tom cat who has taken to peeing on my traps during my recent trapping efforts.  He's made it clear that he will not settle for an inferior product.  Only a Tomahawk can contain him.

Laura Dee
    CARE for PETS

• 14.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-11-2021 07:57 AM
    You've trapped a remarkable number of cats Laura. So much compassion in action. You might need to borrow a drop trap for some of the more wily ones.

Julie Levy

• 15.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-05-2021 10:08 AM
    I would like to win the trap for Urban Cat Coalition because we are the only boots on the ground TNR rescue in a high-kill city (Milwaukee, WI) AND because the doofus pictured has eluded me for years. YEARS! He is my white whale. I have named him Benjen. He is trap savvy! I would love to try a new enticing trap for Benjen.
    Elusive cat

Sara Dykstra
    Urban Cat Coalition

• 16.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-11-2021 07:57 AM
    Benjen! You beast! Look at that smug mug. Can you borrow a drop trap from someone in the area?

Julie Levy

• 17.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-05-2021 10:08 AM
    Looking forward to the webinar, bingo, and possibly winning the trap!! :)

Suzanne Callaway
    Brenham Animal Services

• 18.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-06-2021 09:00 AM
    I would love to have this trap. I volunteer for our local Humane Society for TNR as they are no programs currently in our area being funded. This trap would be great for those hard to catch kitties.

Michelle Ring
    Humane Society of Southern Wisconsin

• 19.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-06-2021 09:26 AM

I am not with an organization but I am an animal advocate......especially for cats.
    My Countyline Tractor Supply traps have served their purpose for the past 6 years.
    During this time I have trapped, spayed/neutered 20 cats on our rural property AND my husband and I
    don't RELEASE, we RETAIN!
    I lent one trap to my neighbor along with some tips and she jumped right in to help TNR.
    I do have a Tomahawk drop trap w/transfer cage, which I love!! I could definitely use a new live trap.
    I am also involved with a newly formed non profit, NEPA Animal Welfare Collaborative. We are focusing on the needs of community 
    cats (trapping, low cost spay/neuter clinics, ordinances), keeping pets with their families, animal legislation, pet food pantries and so much more!
    Here is about a quarter of our feline family............

Nancy Sokolowsky
    None

• 20.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-06-2021 11:52 AM
    Caregiver holding cat
    We'd like to submit our plea for a trap because we know how important it is to provide caregivers with the tools needed to trap the cats that they feed. Community cats are often skittish and wary of humans aside from their most trusted caregivers. We've learned that putting traps in the hands of those caregivers is a more effective way of catch these cats than having our van pull up, eliciting that "stranger danger" response from the cats! With traps in our arsenal, we can make each caregiver a trapper as well, increasing the chances of success of catching each target cat! 

Melissa Jenkins 
    Operation Catnip
    Gainesville, FL 

Melissa Jenkins
    Operation Catnip

• 21.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-10-2021 09:48 AM
    We are a  small cat rescue in south central Tennessee.  This area has a huge pet over population problem, cats and kittens are frequently abandoned.  I currently have 2 Tomahawk FixNation traps and could use many more.  Currently I borrow from other rescues or rent them from the spay/neuter clinic.  I pay for trap rentals from my personal funds, an additional trap would be of great help to us and other local rescues; when other rescues need help I loan them my traps.  Another trap would be a great help to us and the other local rescues we work with.

gail wilbur

• 22.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-10-2021 10:46 AM
    I would love this trap because I am a new grad baby vet working at a shelter with no TNR program. I am starting to TNR on my own by following up when people surrender feral kittens, and am going to have to buy a bunch of traps for myself in order to do this. I am a very experienced trapper but no longer live near where I went to school, so I no longer have access to the TNR group in that area's traps and gear. While there is a TNR group in this new area I've just moved to, they are far from me and their traps are few and well worn. I would like to have my own traps so that no matter where I move, I will always have the materials I need to help cats.

Amelia Erickson
    Animal Welfare Society

• 23.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-12-2021 09:15 AM
    Amelia - I just wanted to thank you for being a grad baby SHELTER vet, AND for working with community cats. You are so appreciated.

Monica Frenden
    American Pets Alive

• 24.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-18-2021 07:59 PM
    Amelia - welcome to shelter medicine! The best career in the world!

Julie Levy

• 25.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-10-2021 08:46 PM

Winning this trap could prevent thousands of cats from ever entering shelters!
    How?
    I do lost cat search & rescue full time. A better trap can make the difference in a cat back home, or one that ends up at a shelter.

Each day a cat is lost and does not enter a trap, the chances of successful recovery go down. This new better trap will help me catch escaped cats as well as those lost in accidents and natural disasters.

I'll use this not only to recover lost cats all over the country, but also to recommend within my TNR network, national Lost Pet Recovery group and to owners worldwide on my www.lostCatfinder.com  GEAR page. 

Nearly every day, I'm teaching lost cat owners how to use a 30LTD or FatCat trap. Despite the lessons, they have forgotten to secure the back door, or the rings get hung up, or just set it wrong.

This new trap will help alleviate SO many trap mishaps and get more cats home before they end up in shelters!

---

So glad to see Tomahawk has improved on the classic (but-not-perfect) 30LTD trap,  solving the various mechanical challenges and dangers inherent with typical slap traps.

Whether I win or not, Thank you Tomahawk,  thank you Maddie's Fund, and Thank you, Million Cat Challenge  for the webinar and giveaway.

Kim Freeman
    LOST CAT FINDERS

• 26.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-11-2021 07:55 AM
    OMG you made your own movie! You must REALLY want to win this trap. You are such an inspiration (and the music certainly helped with that). Thank you for helping lost cats get back home.

Julie Levy

• 27.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-11-2021 09:46 AM
    Wow! So many amazing posts! I'm so excited for this talk.

Bobby Mann

• 28.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-16-2021 12:20 PM
    YES, I really do want to win this trap!  And since I heard "bonus points for being creative," that video was my trail cam montage of two lost cat owners using a FatCat to recover Gus. 

I'm hoping this new 606  will be my new GO-TO trap for lost cat recovery -- also for recommending to owners who ask my advice on  which trap to get and where to order it. I used to recommend the T-C FatCat on my Amazon page but they were always weeks behind on production-- and now it seems they're not even sold on Amazon any more.

With T-C traps so hard to get, I hate to see people resorting to "Silver Slappys" and the many garden- variety "Raccoon traps" being marketed for cats. I think Tomahawk is going to be the way to go, especially with these improvements.

Gravity is our friend!

Kim Freeman
    LOST CAT FINDERS

• 29.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-13-2021 08:39 AM
    cats

Debra Moon
    The Purrfect Fix

• 30.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-13-2021 04:32 PM

I would love to be able to win a live trap. I am a one woman team who has boots on the ground every single day. I foster neonatal orphans, socialize, take on special cases, and do as much TNR as I possibly can..all by myself. I make sure that the mom of every kitten I take in gets spayed, because i fully believe that we cannot rescue out of this overpopulation, and full circle programs need to be implemented more.  I currently only have one quality trap of my own- and am always taking on colonies of 20 to 100 cats! It is my dream to be able to have an arsenal of like 20plus traps to be able to get these colonies fixed quicker.  I have come across a couple of mama cats that I have been unable to trap so far, even with using all the little tips and tricks that I can find.  I am hopeful this new tomahawk trap plus the clear back door will help get those harder to catch cats. Either way, I desperately need more traps in general and being a one woman army, I dont have funds to spare to buy any traps.

Pictures of the recent colony of about 100 cats/kittens I have been working for the last year. All the cats in the pictures are only semi feral and all have been TNRd! Video was a recent stray mama and baby I came across. Mama was starving and trapped literally immediately.  Baby didn't budge until the next day when I brought mama back again and she finally meowed which brought baby out of hiding.

Mary Chromek
    Foster Purrs

• 31.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-14-2021 03:16 PM
    Great work Cathy. Love the video of the kitten capture - creative technique!

Julie Levy

• 32.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-13-2021 05:56 PM

My latest TNR project:   Two mamas, loosely owned.  Eight 8-wk-old kittens remaining, after three or four were taken by coyotes.   
    Kittens trapped, socialized, S/N'd, etc.,  for adoption.  Mamas TNR'd.  I was concerned about returning the moms but gave guardians a Havahart motion sensored rainbird sprinkler to help ward off coyotes.  Happy ending?!?  Sort of..........

Monica Mestas
    FTAspay

• 33.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-14-2021 08:45 AM
    I'm excited to attend this webinar. I am a solo trapper, everything for me is my own time and my own money. I would LOVE to have this trap. My two Havaheart traps are VERY outdated and often don't work, or allow cats to escape. Either way, I love this organization. >^..^< 
    Christine Austin

Christine Austin
    Austin2 Consulting

• 34.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-14-2021 09:57 AM
    MEOW Now is the first non-profit organization dedicated to TNVR in Pinellas County Florida. We are working hard to support a culture of TNVR as the one and only humane and responsible management of community cats from the individual caregiver to the entire population of Pinellas. Our preferred trap is the Tru-Catch, and we would love to try out this new Tomahawk model.
    My eartip brings NO boys to the yard

Nikola Couling
    MEOW Now

• 35.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-16-2021 11:43 AM
    We have the pleasure of hosting a very crafty and "trap savvy" feral colony.  Not only are they wise to the trap game, they have apparently formed an alliance with persons unknown to make sure our few cat-safe traps are never stored in the same place twice so any need for a trap to take a member of the colony for medical treatment requires a full-scale search of our warehouse and several trapping attempts.  Having a trap that is more enticing to our jaded and trap-savvy colony residents.  If I am lucky enough to win this trap it will be carefully stored by my office where the trap-moving cabal will not be able to hide it and we will always have it available for trapping colony cats in need.

Janna Skinner
    AZ Animal WElfare League

• 36.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-17-2021 05:43 PM
    Haha! I totally relate to the missing trap dilemma. They must go to the same place where mismatched socks and tupperware parts end up. I love your plan to guard any new traps.

Julie Levy

• 37.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-16-2021 01:01 PM
    We are a newly formed shelter in the Southwest region of Ga.  Generous donors purchased a building for our use, and are having it renovated.  It will be ready at the end of the year,  and we will serve 2 counties (Miller and Seminole).  We are in a very rural area with no existing services, and we will receive no city/county funding.  
    At present in Seminole County we have a part-time animal control officer.  Any stray dogs picked up are taken to the only vet in the county where they end up euthanized in most cases.  Law enforcement has been known to pick up dogs and throw them off elsewhere to avoid this scenario.
    In Miller County they also have a part-time officer who only has jurisdiction in the city proper.  He has a room with a few cages for dogs.  Dogs in the county are not handled.  Cats in both counties are ignored.
    We have a vet who has agreed to work with us, and has offered to do some community spay/neuter events.  We would like to incorporate a TNR program to help address a growing problem in both counties.  A gravity trap would certainly help.  We are finding that there are grants out there, but they are open only to either organizations that can show last year's stats, or to licensed programs.  Because our business is new, we don't have stats, and because our building is not ready yet for inspection, we haven't obtained our licensing.  We sure would appreciate any assistance you can offer.

Carol Williams
    aralliancega.com

• 38.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-17-2021 07:53 AM
    The shelter I volunteer with is currently piloting their FIRST EVER active TNR program! They currently have a low-cost spay/neuter clinic and traps available to rent, but it's been 100% up to the public to make it happen... up until now. I am incredibly excited about the new program as I (and a few other wonderful people) have been 'freelance' TNRing in our community in southern Virginia.

A new trap would be a great addition/start for the shelter program... the traps we currently have to rent are a JOKE. Literally the $20 giant raccoon traps you get at the local feed store. I tried using one of them once and had the pleasure of watching the very pregnant cat I was after waltz in, eat all the yummy food, and walk right out. A heavily pregnant cat couldn't even set off that trap! So I had to buy my own to get the job done. My number one mission with this new program is going to be fundraising for legitimate traps. ​​

Erin Dams
    Roanoke Valley SPCA Cat Volunteer

• 39.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-17-2021 08:16 AM
    Preach! Those silver traps at the hardware store are NOT safe for cats, either. They rust, malfunction, snap too hard, and cats injure their faces pushing on the uncoated wires trying to escape. Good traps are worth their weight in gold.

Monica Frenden
    American Pets Alive

• 40.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-17-2021 08:26 AM
    This is going to be a most beneficial webinar for staff at our shelter. Too many times with too many cats the terms for outdoor cats are intermingled and used in the incorrect context.

It is my hope that if staff better understands the impact their words have on these cats it will get them to stop and think before they speak.

Our organization is moving in the direction of being a better partner in the communities that we serve. TNR is a very large part of that move and we are increasing the clinic days for TNR as well as providing assistance with trapping, transport and returning of outdoor cats. 

This trap would certainly come in handy for this. Thank you.

Vicki Prey
    Fox Valley Humane Association

• 41.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-17-2021 02:20 PM
    Community Cat Coalition of Edmond needs an awesome Tomahawk Live Trap because trapping is never this EASY!

Amanda Daum
    CCCE

• 42.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-17-2021 06:52 PM

Trapper Girls CCC would love to win a new Tomahawk trap because we've been using 20 year old hand me downs & cheap hardware store traps for too long! It would be amazing to own a new trap without trip plate damage from rambunctious raccoons. Our dream is to someday have funds to buy a whole inventory of Tomahawk traps but until then we'll just keep on keeping on! Most Serious Feral says she can't even believe she was caught in this crappy rust bucket😼

Marcia Tolley
    Trapper Girls Community Cat Coalition Inc

• 43.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-18-2021 07:47 AM

The reason I would like this trap is so I can help people in my area TNR. I see dozens of pleas a day from individuals begging for help and trying to do the right thing in South Florida. They often give up and just leave the cats to breed out of control.
      Besides I have a snarky ex feral who refuses to lend his personal name tag plated trap. Please see video with his response.

caroline gatto

• 44.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-18-2021 08:27 AM
    We are trying to start a new community tnr program with volunteer trappers at PPAWSpay/ NeuterClinicin Greenback,  TN. We have a few traps, but some of them are in rough shape. We hope to be able to loan out traps to volunteers to get this program started. Here are pictures of our most recent tnr day!

Kelly Simonian
    PPAW Spay/ Neuter Clinic

• 45.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-18-2021 01:15 PM
    Montgomery County Community Cat Coalition would love the trap! We tnr'ed about 500 cats last year and need more traps! Trap labels would be greatly appreciated, too.

bev carragher
    MC C3

• 46.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-18-2021 10:07 AM
    Can't wait for the Webcast later today! We currently do not have a trap to loan out to people who are looking to help colony cats.  It would be great to have this one to loan out as a new service!

martha wittkowski

• 47.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-18-2021 11:35 AM
    Can't wait to see if there is language we inadvertently use.

Audrey Garrison
    Operation Catnip

• 48.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-18-2021 11:47 AM
    Please enter me for the trap and see you on the zoom call

Frances Alford
    Director
    Its Meow or Never for Ferals

• 49.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-18-2021 11:49 AM
    Its Meow or Never has wanted to try one of these new traps from Havaheart.  Please choose us!!!

Frances Alford
    Director

• 50.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-18-2021 12:11 PM
    We live in a rural area where there are literally thousands of cats living on the streets. The shelter has stopped taking non pet store type cats. This has left so many suffering and breeding nonstop. So there are two of us that are dedicated to the TNR process to slow the reproduction rate.

Tammy Tichenor
    Kentucky Kitty Cats, Inc.

• 51.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-18-2021 12:12 PM
    I am not here representing this Rescue but would like as an individual and fanatic pet owner to nominate Hands Helping Paws Rescue in Lakes Wales,

https://www.facebook.com/Handshelpingpawsrescue/photos/a.1636413529967640/2973714669570846 Hands Helping Paws Rescue for the Tomahawk Trap due to the fast help they gave me in getting a kitten who lost her eye to a vet so she would not lose her life!

Pamela Curry
    Pamela Jean Curry

• 52.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-18-2021 12:25 PM
    This is my functional trap....
    Sad, itty bitty lonely trap.

This is my pile of ancient metal... these antiques can no longer be trusted, thus, the feral kitties can no longer trust US to help them).... *que violin*
    rusty. clunky, heavy and worst of all... UNRELIABLE :o          :( sad...
    Please help- our robust VT kitties won't QUITE FIT my only, and lonely, functional one... ;( *weep weep*

Amy & Lucy Mackenzie Humane Society

Amy Woodman

• 53.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-18-2021 07:30 PM
    Amy and Lucy - you are too funny!! That looks like a trap for a dollhouse.

Julie Levy

• 54.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-18-2021 12:26 PM
    I would love to win for a small TNR group that needs the traps to help the smaller colonies.

Heather Perry
    Purrapy

• 55.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-18-2021 12:27 PM
    We have many that are too smart for our Tractor Supply Company trap. We desperately need a better trap.

Tammy Tichenor
    Kentucky Kitty Cats, Inc.

• 56.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-18-2021 01:05 PM
    Cat in dog crate I worked on catching this lady for 3 months! I would sit and feed her chicken every night while she evaded all of my attempts to get her! 
    I finally got her last night! Having another trap would allow us to get more cats at once. 

Kelly Jackson

• 57.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-18-2021 07:32 PM
    Kelly - great job stalking this elusive Gal!

Julie Levy

• 58.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-19-2021 03:07 PM
    Hi... Three months?  Ouch!  But that's persistence.  Are you familiar with the dangling chicken leg trick?   You tie a HOT chicken leg from the top of the trap so that it dangles way to the back.  Kitty has to step down hard on the trip plate to wrestle it loose.  She can't do that long stretch over the trip plate to snag the food.  How do they know the trip plate is there?  Smart cats!  Anyway, congratulations!

Monica Mestas
    FTAspay

• 59.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-18-2021 01:14 PM
    First of all - with a name like Karma Cat Zen Dog how could we NOT win???

Our small but mighty non-profit is volunteer run with oversite by our fab cat loving Executive Director and we have commmitted to TNRing 1,000 cats by 2022 and the extra traps could greatly help us reach that goal.  We are a small team of 5 that do all of our TNRing and we have formed a local partnership with a spay/neuter clinic to perform the surgeries at a reduced cost, we just don't have enough equipment to be able to fill all of our spay/neuter appointments (how sad right?).  We help all community cats from nursing mamas to senior cats - no one is off limits, but we can't help control the population if we don't have the equipment to do it.
    Mama Stardust's 2 day old kittens we took in through our TNR program
    Mama Cali nursing her beautiful litter in June

Leanne Puia
    Karma Cat Zen Dog

• 60.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-18-2021 01:16 PM

Aloha from Hawaii! I wish I could send cute pics and memes to win you over, but our situation is fairly dire. Our rescue organization could desperately use every resource available, especially this trap! Our Island's animal control is currently in complete turmoil. There is no county organization intaking lost animals, community members have no idea who to call for help, and our elderly are being hospitalized for dog attacks. Things are really terrible right now, and the small rescues are in desperate need of additional resources because they are trying their best to fill in the gaps. We regularly receive requests for assistance to help rescue and help home  lost and abandoned cats. We have a great deal of cat "groups" across the Island and the caretakers need more support to fulfill TNR needs -- they currently have few resources and we want to help them as much as possible. In addition, we have a great deal of community pushback for helping cats due to their perceived negative influences on native birds and the native Hawaiian Monk Seal. Any additional resources we can provide to the people who actually care about these cats would be greatly appreciated.

Laurie Lyons-Makaimoku
    Hawaii Animal Kuleana Alliance

• 61.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

This message was posted by a user wishing to remain anonymous
    This message was posted by a user wishing to remain anonymous

I had a resident reach out that had been trying to get a tricky female.  I let her borrow my drop trap for two weeks but this is one of the pictures she sent me.  This is what her female thought about the drop trap.  I sent to all my trap volunteers and we got a good laugh!  She was successful getting the female and both males trapped all together under the drop trap!  Mission Accomplished!  I would love to add to my trap collection as I am trapping every week for Pet Alliance of Greater Orlando's Community Cat Initiative!  Thanks for all the great work you are doing for cats!  I am thrilled to be a part of the solution here in Orlando!!

Cathy Houde
    Community Outreach Manager
    Pet Alliance of Greater Orlando

• 62.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-18-2021 07:35 PM
    Cathy - thanks for making me laugh. That cat is taunting you!

Julie Levy

• 63.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

This is a super new trap by Tomahawk!  We got our two with a donation from a caregiver of cats (gonna be hard to leave out that "colony" word!)  We are working hard to make Tulsa, OK a no-kill city and it starts with TNVR!  We have trappers working every night before clinic dates!  We can use another trap!   

T-Town TNR
    Tulsa, OK
    www.ttowntnr.com

Samantha Polen
    T-Town TNR, Inc.

• 64.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

We would love to add this incredible tool to our tricky cat options! The clear door is an amazing addition! Can we also suggest Tomahawk consider adding the option to have the trap play kitten and mom-cat  sounds? Because the options on YouTube are terrible, but it can be so effective! This beauty FINALLY entered the trap with my cell phone sitting at the end playing a video of a mom cat singing to her kittens. 

Our organization facilitates 200+ TNR surgeries in our local area annually, and we are always in need of additional traps. So appreciate the giveaway! 

Thank you,
    sarah kline

Sarah Kline
    Cherished Cats Rescue Alliance Inc

• 65.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-18-2021 07:37 PM
    Sarah - great job using kitten songs to cat the adults.

Julie Levy

• 66.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-18-2021 01:53 PM
    Cat Depot of Sarasota is most deserving of the Tomohawk Live Trap! One of the many services we provide is for community members to rent our traps at low cost. Those cats are then brought to our facility where we  spay/neuter the cat, and  provide the cat with vaccinations. The community member who brought the cat in then returns the cat to its home.  We are fortunate enough to have volunteers who make trap covers to help reduce FAS and frustration in the cats that are trapped. We provide a valuable service to the community, and having more traps available will allow us to offer that service to more local cats. 

Ellie Levine
    Cat Depot

• 67.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-18-2021 01:53 PM

I am co-founder and director of Kudzu Cat Alliance; we provide TNR services in Cobb county, metro Atlanta area. So far this year we have TNR'd 179 cats, and over 1000 since our formation in 2019. Unlike several other metro Atlanta counties, Cobb does not have a municipal TNR program, nor does it have the large base of trappers that those counties have. I am working to change this situation.

Currently I am our only regular trapper, and I have over 100 requests (all in Cobb) for TNR awaiting my attention. Since it is impossible for me to take care of all of those on my own, my goal is to recruit more trappers in our area, train them, and create what I like to call a "TNRmy" to answer all these requests. In order to achieve this goal we will need an inventory of traps to loan to people who don't have their own. That is why we would love to win this trap giveaway! I have always used Tomahawk traps, and these new Tomahawk gravity traps are my favorite. I do not have any with a clear back door, so that would be a great addition to my arsenal to help with those hard-to-trap kitties.

Speaking of hard to trap kitties, for my humor component here is the amusing story of a recent kitten trapping outing.

And here is a picture of the little stinker in that post, after he finished dancing around on top of my trap and finally got in it. 😆

Thanks so much to you all and Tomahawk for offering this opportunity!

Julie Sims
    Kudzu Cat Alliance

• 68.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-18-2021 07:47 PM
    Julie - great patience to trap those two little buggers together.

Julie Levy

• 69.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-18-2021 02:33 PM
    I specialize in fostering neonatal kittens for my local municipal shelter and various rescues. Last year, after having 5 kittens die in a span of 4 days, I began tracking the origin locations of all kittens that pass through my home. I tracked their health conditions with the intent of full circle trapping. I've continued this year, and teamed up with some other trappers to begin an Airtable TNR tracker. We have nearly 1000 cats in our Airtable, and have expanded it to accept requests from the public. We prioritize locations with sick cats and kittens in order to reduce suffering, as well as track statistics such as percentage of pregnant cats.

Attached is a video with a gallery of the cats I've been involved with trapping since Feb 2021. I am wrapping up my bottle baby fostering for this year and plan on going back to the origin locations from this year for full circle trapping. We are hoping to use this data to track our city's resources and bolster the support for spay/neuter resources. I would love to have this trap to continue bringing a little Silicon Valley flavoring into TNR!

Allie Hewett

• 70.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-18-2021 07:50 PM
    Allie - that's a great tracking system. So many cats!

Julie Levy

• 71.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-13-2021 12:55 PM
    Looking forward to this webinar to help us craft better communications for our newsletter and fundraising!

Melissa Riofrio
    Homeless Cat Network

• 72.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-17-2021 06:01 PM
    Do you already have a TNR trap depot with 25 or more traps? Could you use some all-weather tags to identify and manage you trap inventory? Our friends at CARE are generously donating 100 tags to the cause of humane community cat care (in lots of 25 each- $55 value). If your organization could use some tags, just reply to this message with your name,  organization name, and email address. Hurry - supplies will not last long. :)

Trap identification tags donated by CARE

Julie Levy

• 73.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-18-2021 08:28 AM
    We would love to have these tags! We keep over 60 traps in our trap depot! 

MaryDoris Casey
    Community Cat Coalition of Edmond
    edmondcats@gmail.com

MARYDORIS CASEY
    COMMUNITY CAT COALITION OF EDMOND

• 74.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-18-2021 01:23 PM
    Would love to receive the tags for our small, but growing, TNR program.  Thank you!
    Suzanne Callaway (volunteer)
    Brenham Animal Services
    skilty86@gmail.com

Suzanne Callaway
    Brenham Animal Services

• 75.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-18-2021 12:36 PM
    Amy Woodman
    Lucy Mackenzie Humane Society 
    awoodman@lucymac.org

#thankstomaddie ​

Amy Woodman

• 76.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-18-2021 04:23 PM
    Tammy Tichenor, Kentucky Kitty Cats, kykittycats@yahoo.com 

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Wednesday, August 18, 2021, 2:37 PM, Amy Woodman via Maddie's Pet Forum <Mail@maddiesfund.org> wrote:

Amy Woodman Lucy Mackenzie Humane Society  awoodman@lucymac.org #thankstomaddie ------------------------------ Amy Woodman -------------------...

Animal Welfare Professionals

Post New Discussion Post New Discussion via Email
    Manage Account Information
    Re: NEW WEBCAST! Language That Harms Cats
    Reply to Discussion Reply to Discussion via Email Reply Privately to Author Reply Privately to Author via Email
    Amy Woodman
    Aug 18, 2021 12:36 PM
    Amy Woodman
    Amy Woodman
    awoodman@lucymac.org

#thankstomaddie

Amy Woodman
      Reply to Discussion   Reply to Discussion via Email   Reply Privately to Author   Reply Privately to Author via Email   View Thread   Like   Forward   Flag as Inappropriate  

You are receiving this message because you followed the 'NEW WEBCAST! Language That Harms Cats' message thread. To unsubscribe from this message thread, go to Unsubscribe.

Update your email preferences to choose the types of email you receive

Unsubscribe from all participation emails

Original Message:
    Sent: 8/18/2021 3:36:00 PM
    Subject: RE: NEW WEBCAST! Language That Harms Cats

Amy Woodman
    awoodman@lucymac.org

#thankstomaddie ​

Amy Woodman

Original Message:
    Sent: 08-17-2021 06:01 PM
    Subject: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Do you already have a TNR trap depot with 25 or more traps? Could you use some all-weather tags to identify and manage you trap inventory? Our friends at CARE are generously donating 100 tags to the cause of humane community cat care (in lots of 25 each- $55 value). If your organization could use some tags, just reply to this message with your name,  organization name, and email address. Hurry - supplies will not last long. :)

Trap identification tags donated by CARE

Julie Levy

• 77.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-19-2021 01:07 PM
    I would LOVE some of the all weather tags for traps! Fosterpurrs@gmail.com  Foster Purrs

Mary Chromek
    Foster Purrs

• 78.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-19-2021 01:41 PM
    Its Meow or Never had a TNR program with over 100 traps and we could use these signs.  Right now we write it out on paper and its a mess. 

Frances Alford
    adoptions@itsmeowornevertally.com

Thank you so much!!!

Frances Alford
    Director

• 79.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-18-2021 07:47 AM

Eden Animal Haven should win this trap because we are tiny but mighty! We are a cage-free, no-kill shelter for cats in Brighton MO. Our intakes, adoptions, and TNRs have skyrocketed  since 2014 (see graph). Here is our latest tiny-but-mighty kitten intake, Quinn, just before she went to a foster home. Like all our cats, she pees sparkles!

Pam Adelmann
    Eden Animal Haven

• 80.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

During the webinar, we started an interesting discussion on how to label cats, since many shelters, (the one I work for included) want to avoid mentioning breeds entirely, as it's SO hard to know a pet's breed. We currently label our cats as Domestic Short/Medium/Longhair, but since 'domestic' is a term you feel we should avoid, how should we categorize them instead? For our dogs, we use Small/Medium/Large Mixed Breed, but that doesn't really apply to cats as they're all generally around the same size.

Since no one on the panel was quite sure how to answer the question,  how do you prefer to label your cats in your organizations? What terms do you stand behind? I never even thought that labeling them as Domestic Short/Medium/Longhair might be harming our cats!

Thanks so much for your input!

Brianna Shahly
    Humane Society of West Michigan

• 81.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-18-2021 01:19 PM
    The simplest solution might be to leave out the word "domestic" and just refer to the coat length of the cat.

Paula Garber
    Cat Protection Council of Westchester

• 82.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-23-2021 09:41 AM
    I really appreciate that conversation! I hadn't thought about "domestic" in terms of domestic shorthair and domestic longhair. 

DSH and DLH are pseudo-breeds used for classification purposes -- DSH is essentially a mixed breed/mutt with short hair, right?  Labeling cats by coat length be more useful, just as describing dogs by size and coat type is preferred over guessing a breed. 

What would be needed for a shelter to make that change? 

daniellebays

• 83.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Great webcast! Thank you! Should we be using TNVR (trap-neuter-vaccinate-return) instead of TNR since it's more specific about what treatments the cats have received, and possibly reassuring to people who are concerned about disease transmission by community cats?

Paula Garber
    Cat Protection Council of Westchester

• 84.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-23-2021 09:15 AM
    This is an excellent point. Dr. Bob Weedon advocates for this -- he presented such at this summer's Best Friends conference. 

There was a time when vaccines and other medical treatments for cats during TNR surgery were seen as "extras" that could be cut to save funds and get more surgeries done. We need to reach a high sterilization rate in order to reduce the overall population of free-roaming cats and funding was the bottle neck for getting there. Yet, vaccinations -- especially rabies vaccinations which are required by law in many areas -- are important to feline wellbeing and public health. There is a lot of value there and many programs now provide vaccines and other care, having figured out how to get the costs down.  An ear-tip is also important. That "N" encompasses more than just neuter, but the neuter part is the highlight. 

The challenge I see is that TNR/TNVR is industry jargon.  We know  what it means and maybe using TNVR may serve to encourage those who are not currently vaccinating cats to do so. But would it then imply that those who say TNR are not vaccinating cats? Some add an "M" for TNVRM to mean managing the cats. This just starts getting confusing and muddling the core message of sterilizing the cats. 

For me, for now I'm staying with TNR. And explaining as needed, that the N includes a variety of veterinary services. I also tend to use Community Cat Program over TNR program to highlight a broader more comprehensive effort and to be a bit less jargony. 

daniellebays

• 85.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-23-2021 09:23 AM
    I'm with you Danielle. TNR describes a particular activity. That activity is often associated with other activities such as vaccination, parasite treatment, treatment of wounds/illnesses, adoptions of some cats, ongoing feeding/management, etc. It does not always imply rabies . . .  for example there is no rabies and thus no rabies vaccination in Hawaii and Australia. I think TNR is concise and widely understood.

Julie Levy

• 86.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-18-2021 03:07 PM
      |   view attached

A copy of the Presentation Deck from Monica Frenden-Tarent and Danielle Bays is attached and here were a few of the unanswered questions from today's call.

1. Have you seen the cat population calculator on barncatlady.com? https://barncatlady.com/kitten-calculator/ What are your thoughts on this?

2.  Is it still ok to talk about the vacuum effect?

3.  All of our kittens come from TNR projects. We call them "rescued street kitties" especially to explain ear tip. Better choice of words?

4. I have another question, we have an outdoor/community cat program, where cats that might not make great HOUSE pets, (not social or interested in people) get care and shelter when adopted as WORKING cats! Generally on barns, etc.  Do you have any recommendations for the best ways to market these cats, outside of avoiding the terms we discussed?

5. I'm seeing the term "TNVRM" (trap-neuter-vacciante-return-monitor) pop-up. Should we be shifting towards that very long but informative acronym? Does it help to include the V to emphasize that we are getting cats vaccinated, specifically rabies?  Should we be using TNVR (trap-neuter-vaccinate-return) instead of TNR since it's more specific about what treatments the cats have received, and possibly reassuring to people who are concerned about disease transmission by community cats?

6. Is there any controversy with using phrases "indoor cats" or "outdoor cats" ?

7.  What are phrases/explanations that are more clear and concise to begin a discussion about community cats with people that know nothing about community cats or TNR. Like a pet fair table or something where people walk by and you have to make a short, fast elevator pitch for cats?

8.  Is it humane to house unsocialized cats in a shelter for working cat programs? Is there a recommendation for which cats should be candidates for working cats and which are candidates for TNR only?

alison gibson

Attachment(s)

• 87.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-19-2021 07:36 AM
    I'll try to reply to this list of question!

1.) That calculator seems to work on the same statistical principles I have seen, more or less. Glad to see this info is getting out there, as no scientific model supports the 420,000 cat pyramid!

2.) Yes, still okay to explain the vacuum effect, but I find it easier to simply explain that cats are a species that breeds to capacity. When the population goes down, the ovaries crank up. 

3.) I can't see anything wrong with "rescued street kitties." When potential adopters would ask me about an eartip on a shelter cat, I remember saying, "that gives them street cred." Turn it into a positive and a chance to educate!

4.) I have a self-guided apprenticeship on creating a working cat program that anyone can take for free, thanks to Maddie's Fund. It will walk you through lots of great marketing ideas. Find it here: https://americanpetsalive.org/maddies-learning-academy/building-a-working-cat-program

5.) I do not think we should move toward TNVMR or another new acronym for TNR. While you and I are concerned about vaccines, human health, rabies vectors, and we understand those terms, I think the average resident simply wants to know there won't be more kittens produced. We can certainly explain vaccines and healthier cats, the human health benefit, but I would strongly advise we not confuse the public even more and over-complicate things.

6.) I don't think there is controversy surrounding "indoor" versus "outdoor" cats, but keep in mind that isn't black or white, either. There are also indoor/outdoor cats. In fact, indoor/outdoor cats are the norm in almost all other countries in the world. Indoor-only is a uniquely North American concept.

7.) Thankfully, most people understand the importance of spay/neuter, thanks to years and years of public messaging. There are some great graphics out there that explain TNR in a nutshell and don't use acronyms or lingo. I like bold, dimple headlines to bring people in: "Want to help cats in your neighborhood?" Then you can explain the process in conversation, using language that is common and approachable. If we are going to s/n all the community cats we all need to, this has to be a collaborative endeavor with the community. So it's extra important that we are inclusive, we don't accidentally alienate people with industry jargon, our literature is in the languages represented in our communities, and we emphasize that this is work anyone can do! Down with acronyms and jargon, up with "We can help you help cats." People just want solutions and to help cats; they don't need fancy terms. 

8.) Cats going down a working cat pathway often have to be sheltered for a brief period of time before placement, but there are ways you can minimize stress and make that stay as humane as possible. I am a huge advocate for outdoor cat habitats for these cats. APA! has a Feral Cat Handling and Housing policy online you can view that describes how to shelter and 'handle' such cats as humanely as possible when we must. I also refer to wildlife rehab models often when I create protocols for these cats. You can view the APA! Protocol For Determining Outdoor Release Candidates, too, for an idea of how to create an SOP to help determine when alternative placement might be best. I do recommend orgs have such a document to ensure the policies you create are adhered to and so everyone (fosters, staff, volunteers) understand the process. 

Keep the questions coming! As we said, this is just the start of this "language" conversation and we have much work to do!
    Are there other words, terms, or phrases we use that we should discuss?
    I'm also challenging all of you to look at your websites and literature and see what changes you can make! Remember, we are ALL guilty of this. I know I am!
    Let's move forward together and learn from one another so we can be as effective as possible in our united mission to help cats!

Monica Frenden
    American Pets Alive

• 88.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-20-2021 09:47 AM
    PLEASE don't shame me on Facebook!

I lost the battle within our group, Kotor Kitties, on presenting "the pyramid" of exploding cat population.  I sent out the Wall Street Journal article to everyone involved ( WSJ.com, 10/12/2006  The Numbers Guy: Trying to Herd a Cat Stat) I used our own numbers, plugged into the formula that came from research I can't lay my hands on quickly.....

One of our Advisory Board members, DVM Christine Wilford, was really clear that we would immediately  lose the respect of anyone knowledgeable in the field....

But the group decision was that EVERYONE uses it because it is a visual depiction that people easily grasp.  And it is theoretically close to possible, if all of the cats involved and born were well cared for indoor cats.....

Bummed.  I tried to hide it deep in our website.  I never circulate it personally.

Mea culpa! 

April

April King
    Volunteer and Board Member
    Kotor Kitties

• 89.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-22-2021 11:46 AM
    Congratulations to Mary Chromek and Foster Purrs for winning a new gravity trap with a clear rear door donated by Tomahawk Live Trap. We were very moved by Mary and team's hard work to help the community cats of Alabama. Here is her story:

"I would love to be able to win a live trap. I am a one woman team who has boots on the ground every single day. I foster neonatal orphans, socialize, take on special cases, and do as much TNR as I possibly can..all by myself. I make sure that the mom of every kitten I take in gets spayed, because i fully believe that we cannot rescue out of this overpopulation, and full circle programs need to be implemented more. I currently only have one quality trap of my own- and am always taking on colonies of 20 to 100 cats! It is my dream to be able to have an arsenal of like 20plus traps to be able to get these colonies fixed quicker. I have come across a couple of mama cats that I have been unable to trap so far, even with using all the little tips and tricks that I can find. I am hopeful this new tomahawk trap plus the clear back door will help get those harder to catch cats. Either way, I desperately need more traps in general and being a one woman army, I don't have funds to spare to buy any traps. Pictures of the recent colony of about 100 cats/kittens I have been working for the last year. All the cats in the pictures are only semi feral and all have been TNRd! Video was a recent stray mama and baby I came across. Mama was starving and trapped literally immediately. Baby didn't budge until the next day when I brought mama back again and she finally meowed which brought baby out of hiding."
    Mary's cats

Julie Levy

• 90.  RE: Webcast: Language That Harms Cats

Posted 08-22-2021 02:37 PM
    We had so much fun with last week's webinar "Language that Harms Cats." In case you missed it, this fast-paced 30-minute presentation is now available on-demand at https://university.maddiesfund.org/products/language-that-harms-cats

Our friends at Tomahawk Live Trap have joined Million Cat Challenge to support all of your TNR work with a 10% discount on TNR equipment (traps, cat dens, dividers, trap accessories) through the end of 2021. Just use the discount code DCMCC21 (all caps) when you order. Now is a great time to buff up your trap depot and catch up with the fruits of kitten season - maybe have a GoFundMe appeal?

If you don't have a favorite trap yet, we suggest the new GT606 gravity trap. The clear plexiglass rear door option is brilliant. The whole setup makes for a roomier trap with a quieter tripping mechanism that is more enticing for cats to enter because it looks like they can walk all the way through. This is our new favorite trap for TNR programs.

And every organization should have at least one drop trap for those savvy trap-shy cats. 

Julie Levy