Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Got a preferred microchip scanner?

Posted 09-18-2018 03:56 PM

We are looking to buy a universal microchip scanner to help animal control officers in the field increase their Return-To-Owner numbers. We've got a few choices we're looking at. They all seem fine, but nothing is the obvious pick. Does anyone have a preferred microchip scanner?

#AdmissionsandIntake
    #scanners
    #microchips

• 2.  RE: Got a preferred microchip scanner?

Posted 09-19-2018 07:55 PM

Hi Mark,

I don't have a lot of knowledge about microchip scanners overall, but one thing I would recommend is considering their size for use with cats.  As a shelter cat socialization & enrichment volunteer,  I've seen many instances where the cats were very frightened of the larger scanners,  resulting in them becoming fractious and defensively aggressive.   So (all things being equal) a smaller, more inconspicuous, scanner may work better for cats from a stress management &  ease of use perspective.  

#AdmissionsandIntake

• 3.  RE: Got a preferred microchip scanner?

Posted 10-05-2018 10:32 AM

Hi Mark,

After testing several scanners, our favorite and most consistent reader is the AVID Mini Tracker.  Our officers can actually carry them in their uniform and they are less threatening to cats and fearful dogs.  

#AdmissionsandIntake

• 4.  RE: Got a preferred microchip scanner?

Posted 01-10-2019 03:08 PM

I need to present 3 options to our board of directors who is looking to buy scanners for the three distinct communities in our extremely large, rural county (largest in the lower 48). Can I revive this thread for more opinions/options?

#AdmissionsandIntake

• 5.  RE: Got a preferred microchip scanner?

Posted 01-01-2021 09:35 AM
    Our local shelter and the vet office where I work use the Home Again Universal Scanner. But they are quite expensive. I would like to know if there are any other scanners that read all common chips, that are less pricey?

------------------------------
    marion wagner
    ------------------------------