Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  URI kitten advice?

Posted 05-14-2021 03:10 PM
    I have 3 one month old kittens with URI,  They are on Clavamox and Terramycin.  Their noses are plugged and they won't nurse on the bottle.  Zi have tried 15 minutes with the Vaporizer and it doesn't seem to help.  I am tube feeding them with the help of a syringe to keep them from biting the tube.   Any help would be appreciated.  I have been a foster for 20 years.

#Medicine,SurgeryandSterilization
    #FosterPrograms
    #kitten
    #uri
    ------------------------------
    Verlene Leonardo
    ​​​

• 2.  RE: URI kitten advice?

Posted 08-04-2021 05:30 PM
    Hi Verlene,

How did your kittens fare? I've found that in addition to a vaporizer, a cotton ball dipped in  warm (not hot) water can help to loosen up nasal discharge. I'd also talk to your shelter's veterinary team about whether the kittens are dehydrated.  Young kittens can get dehydrated very quickly and sometimes will benefit from subcutaneous fluids.

Sheila

sheila segurson
    Maddie's Fund

• 3.  RE: URI kitten advice?

Posted 08-04-2021 07:48 PM
    I am part of a rescue group.  Home based.  We adopt out 300 to500 cats and kittens each year.  The kittens that had the URI back in May survived and have been adopted.  I did give subq fluids.

Thank you so much for your help.

Verlene Leonardo, foster
    East Contra Costa County Homeless Animals Lifeline Org. (H.A.L.O.)

Verlene Leonardo

• 4.  RE: URI kitten advice?

Posted 08-05-2021 03:17 PM
    Hi Verlene,

We have some URI advice online that might be helpful. Check out:
    https://americanpetsalive.org/blog/4-effective-and-inexpensive-ways-to-save-cats-with-uri
    https://americanpetsalive.org/uploads/resources/Austin-Pets-Alive-Feline-URI-Cheat-Sheet-52F6.pdf

Monica Frenden
    American Pets Alive

• 5.  RE: URI kitten advice?

This message was posted by a user wishing to remain anonymous
    Posted 08-06-2021 09:11 AM
    This message was posted by a user wishing to remain anonymous

I do not have and doxycycline, but I do have Doxil 100 tablets which i believe is a generic of 
    Doxycycline.  To use this on a 2 pound kitten what would be the dose?  Thank you for all your help.

• 6.  RE: URI kitten advice?

Posted 08-06-2021 11:07 AM

Hi there,

I'm not a veterinarian and can't provide specific medical advice on an individual animal, but our dosing protocols are available in that second link: "Doxycycline (100mg/ml) - 0.05ml/pound once a day x 10 days (10mg/kg)." 

There are follow up protocols for unresponsive URI and the accompanying supportive care, which you may also find helpful.

Good luck! 

Monica Frenden
    American Pets Alive