Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only

Latest Discussions

• Profile Picture

Hyperarousal in Dogs

If you work or volunteer for a shelter or rescue, you probably have a dog or several dogs who are excitable. Many of these dogs just need a little training. A lot less commonly, a dog might be experiencing hyperarousal. They get super excited and have difficulty calming down or regulating their emotions. ... See More

• Profile Picture

RE: Tips on telling adoption applicant their application ...

This message was posted by a user wishing to remain anonymous I did adoptions on the dog side of an open admission County animal shelter for years. I currently 'advise' on adoptions on the cat side by evaluating a family with a dog in the home who want a cat. Some of the evaluations are easy - dog ... See More

• Profile Picture

RE: next door volunteers

Life Line in Atlanta has done a nice job creating Life Line Ambassadors and one of the things they do is help with the use of Next Door. Here is their main page, along with a link to signing up to be an Ambassador (easy jot form). Good luck, it's a great way to reach lots of people! Also, don't forget ... See More

• Profile Picture

New Shelter Facility Design

Hello! I lead a 501 (c)(3) animal shelter in the process of planning a new shelter. One question my staff, board and I have been discussing is on-site housing for staff weather-related emergencies (winter storms). Two options discussed have been a sleeping room inside the shelter or completely separate ... See More

• Profile Picture

RE: Feral Cat Shelters

While my signature is with a local animal shelter group ... I am also with Feral Cat Assistance Program in Greensboro, NC. We use large 30 gallon black plastic storage tubs and cut two holes, one on each side, as high as possible to the top. We paint the tops if they are brightly colored, generally a ... See More

• Certainly! It sounds like you're in a tough situation with a surplus of dogs needing homes. Transferring fully vetted, adoptable dogs to reputable organizations is a great step. Since transport isn't an issue, reaching out to established rescue networks or shelters in other regions might be helpful. ... See More

• Profile Picture

RE: Adopting FeLV cats

Erika. There is a lot of information out there ... it's just making sense of it all and then how it applies to my situation. A lot of the information is shelter care related, which some of this applies to my situation, but these cats are quarantined in my home and I have other cats. I am able to keep ... See More

• Profile Picture

RE: Help us we're drowning!

Have you considered starting a nonprofit, staffed by community volunteers, to share the load? It would take a while for financial help to grow, but you would have more help and flexibility for social media and fundraising. When you feel like you're drowning, take a few minutes to close your eyes, ... See More

• Profile Picture

RE: Feral Cat Shelters

Wow! That's true dedication!!!! Thanks for all you did here and continue to do for the cats there. Good luck! ------------------------------ Holly Holowach Founder/President Popoki Place O'ahu Cat Sanctuary HI ------------------------------ See More

Latest Library Entries

Most Active Members