Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only

Latest Discussions

• Profile Picture

Hyperarousal in Dogs

If you work or volunteer for a shelter or rescue, you probably have a dog or several dogs who are excitable. Many of these dogs just need a little training. A lot less commonly, a dog might be experiencing hyperarousal. They get super excited and have difficulty calming down or regulating their emotions. ... See More

• Thank you Sarah. Regina ------------------------------ Regina Gardner President Friends of Guilford County Animal Shelter NC ------------------------------ See More

• Does your organization provide resources for self-rehoming to your community? Do you live in a community where most of the dogs you intake are easier dog to find homes for, free of medical problems and appear friendly with cats, dogs, and kids? Or, alternatively, are you seeing more dogs relinquished ... See More

• Hi Sarah, I recommend a conversation based approach. It is extremely rare that i give a hard no. i would be offended if someone did this to me, so i work hard to avoid doing it to them. Instead, i talk to the potential adopter about their life and lifestyle. Once i understand the family, if i'm concerned ... See More

• Hello, My organization and another local dog rescue we work with (both 501(c)3) are desperately seeking partner organizations for us to transfer fully vetted, adoptable dogs to. Our community is swamped beyond belief with unwanted puppies and dogs and there has been such a slowdown in adoptions. Instead ... See More

• Profile Picture

RE: Adopting FeLV cats

If you search, I posted about this topic recently. We opted to follow Austin Pets Alive (APA!) guidance as they are forerunners in FeLV research. They recommend a one and done with an IDEXX brand test (others are known to run false positives frequently). I know some will say to do a blood test that ... See More

• Hello! I'm fairly new to the world of animal welfare and am looking for best practices that are used when informing an applicant that their adoption application is not approved. For the sake of discussion, let's assume that there is a very valid reason to not approve the application, or an accumulation ... See More

• Profile Picture

RE: Feral Cat Shelters

I agree with Samantha's comments; a second entrance is not really needed, the first entrance should be relatively small (I've heard 5" in diameter) - as long as the cat's head can fit in the hole so can the rest of their body (for most healthy cats). Subtle shelters are best! I usually use dark colors ... See More

• Profile Picture

Organizational Structure

This message was posted by a user wishing to remain anonymous Hi all, Our organization is experiencing a period of growth (68% over the past two years!) and I am reflecting on our organizational structure and operational processes to ensure we're effectively meeting the needs of our animals and community ... See More

Latest Library Entries

Most Active Members