Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Calling all shelter and rescue staff: Help us learn more about ANIMAL SHELTER DATA!

Posted 06-14-2022 10:34 AM

We want YOU to help us learn more about animal shelter data. The University of British Columbia's Animal Welfare Program researchers are investigating how organizations input data into shelter/rescue software during intake. The survey will take 15-20 mins to complete.

Link to the survey HERE!

Participants must be:

• 18+ years of age
    • Responsible for dog intake at their organization

UBC Behavioural Research Ethics Board (Ethics ID: H22-00136)

For questions or concerns, email Dr. Sasha Protopopova (Principal Investigator) a.protopopova@ubc.ca or Lexis Ly (PhD Student) lexisly@mail.ubc.ca

Thank you!

P.S. We are also happy to hear of any suggestions for other groups/organizations/email lists to distribute our survey-- thank you!

#AdmissionsandIntake(includingIntake-to-placement)
    #AdoptionsandAdoptionPrograms
    #DataandTechnology
    #OrganizationalManagement
    #PetSupportServices*

------------------------------
    Lexis Ly
    PhD Student
    UBC Animal Welfare Program

• 2.  RE: Calling all shelter and rescue staff: Help us learn more about ANIMAL SHELTER DATA!

Posted 06-23-2022 02:35 PM
    Hey y'all! I saw that there's a lot of new members in the forum (30k -- WOW!) We're still looking for shelter/rescue staff to complete our survey about data input during owner surrender.  Link to the survey HERE!

Participants must be:

• 18+ years of age

Lexis Ly
    PhD Student
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/lexisly/

• 3.  RE: Calling all shelter and rescue staff: Help us learn more about ANIMAL SHELTER DATA!

Posted 06-24-2022 01:46 PM
    Hi Lexis,
    I'm also looking for shelter data but I need to know how many dogs and cats are euthanized because their owner has died. If it revealed the adoptability of the animal also (age, health), it would be a home run!!  If you run across this data or where I can access it, I'd greatly appreciate it if you could let me know. 
    Thank you very much,
    Debra

Debra Azzato
    Director of Operations
    Edwin D Marks Animal Foundation

• 4.  RE: Calling all shelter and rescue staff: Help us learn more about ANIMAL SHELTER DATA!

Posted 06-24-2022 01:55 PM
    Hi Debra,

Thanks for your interest! Super good question. I'm not sure if a lot of shelters distinguish owner death as a separate surrender reason! In a recent (Canadian) study, 8% of owner surrenders were due to guardian health/illness reasons. There was no separate category for guardian death, so they may have been included in the health/illness category. 

Here's the link to the study by Bailey Eagan and colleagues: https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fvets.2022.857634/full

Lexis Ly
    PhD Student

• 5.  RE: Calling all shelter and rescue staff: Help us learn more about ANIMAL SHELTER DATA!

Posted 06-24-2022 02:00 PM
    Hi Lexis,
    You're awesome! Thank you very much for forwarding the study to me. Knowing how many animals are surrendered due to owner illness is also important to us! I can't wait till Monday to get a good look at what you sent.  Thanks again! Have a great weekend!
    Debra

Debra Azzato
    Director of Operations

• 6.  RE: Calling all shelter and rescue staff: Help us learn more about ANIMAL SHELTER DATA!

Posted 06-27-2022 08:08 AM
    Hi Lexis,
    I just read through the study and it contains some great information for us! Thank you very much for sharing. I really appreciate your time and willingness to help!

Debra Azzato
    Director of Operations

• 7.  RE: Calling all shelter and rescue staff: Help us learn more about ANIMAL SHELTER DATA!

Posted 06-28-2022 08:59 AM
    Hi Debra, I am so glad this helped! Good luck on your search :)

Lexis Ly
    PhD Student

• 8.  RE: Calling all shelter and rescue staff: Help us learn more about ANIMAL SHELTER DATA!

Posted 06-30-2022 11:18 AM
    LAST CALL TO HELP OUT WITH OUR SURVEY! We will be closing this survey next week. Thank you to everyone who has helped! Please take the survey and share with others :)

Link to the survey HERE!

Participants must be:

• 18+ years of age

Lexis Ly
    PhD Student