Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Holly bites and scratches...

• 1.  Holly bites and scratches...

Posted 05-30-2019 03:14 PM

I found Holly dumped on my street and took her in. She cannot be in the house as I live with 4 other cats. She lives in a studio/single car garage with many toys, cat tower, windows onto the back yard, heat and fans. I visit with Holly twice a day for from 1/2 to 1 hour. I bring her breakfast in the morning and dinner in the evening. We play and cuddle and at about 16 months she is very active when she plays. She will bite me or scratch me at random and doesn't seem to see that behavior as different than her playful or loving quiet behavior. She's been here with me for TEN months. I've but her photos on FB and have flyers all over our small town. I need help with her biting and scratching behavior.

#AnimalBehavior,TrainingandEnrichment

• 2.  RE: Holly bites and scratches...

Posted 05-30-2019 05:38 PM

One idea is to try a thunder shirt.  It’s not as good as training her (not my area of expertise), but I know Thundershirts help. 

• 3.  RE: Holly bites and scratches...

Posted 06-03-2019 11:31 AM

Jernee,

Thank you so much for responding to my posting. I know nothing about Thunder Shirts and I am now very curious to find out if this could help my foster cat, Holly.

Sincerely,
    Erica

• 4.  RE: Holly bites and scratches...

Posted 05-31-2019 04:12 AM

Sounds like she needs cat friends. She must be lonely.

• 5.  RE: Holly bites and scratches...

Posted 06-01-2019 09:19 AM

Thank you, Wolfden! I appreciate your response. She does like watching my cats as she looks out the window at them. It's her favorite thing to do besides cuddling with me. But, I can't introduce my cats to her. Mine are all seniors (from 10 yrs to 20 yrs of age) and very set in their ways. The would not be good companions. She needs a home and she needs one soon but I holdout for a really good home for Holly. Again, thank you for your care.

• 6.  RE: Holly bites and scratches...

Posted 06-02-2019 05:10 AM

Is there any way to get her into a rescue where she can interact with other cats.  This is classic behavior for a kitten separated from it's littermates before it learned that those behaviors hurt.  Single Kitten Syndrome.  Time with other young cats might help her finally get it.  I know it would generally help a cat under a year old.  Not sure how old before a cat just won't learn that lesson. 

• 7.  RE: Holly bites and scratches...

Posted 06-03-2019 04:58 PM

By hissing or giving a loud screech or "ouch", you can give her an innocuous but strong discouragement when she crosses the line without scaring or discouraging her. You are a real hero for hanging in there with Holly. It would help tremendously to get her a companion. 

• 8.  RE: Holly bites and scratches...

Posted 06-05-2019 10:49 AM

Dear Sierra Autumn Girl, THANK YOU for your note. I do say NO! as a real reaction when Holly bites or scratches me out of pretty much nowhere. I react and I am trying to control that response from me. Although Holly doesn't stop doing her behavior, she does look at me with undialated eyes but I have to scruff the back of her neck to pull her away to stop her biting and/or scratching. I do this with as little force possible. You and Holly are both welcome for my hanging in with her, but please DO comment on MY behavior with regard to her aggression. Perhaps her first humans used their bare hand (she also goes sometimes for my bare feet) or feet to play with her when she was a kitten or a very young cat. I figure it's possible that's how her biting and scratching began, they didn't like it and dumped her in my neighborhood. She is a great cat in so many wonderful ways and I will not give up. I don't have another cat to reside with Holly and with my elderly four cats, that isn't an option. Keep helping...I need all I can get.

• 9.  RE: Holly bites and scratches...

Posted 06-03-2019 05:08 PM

Tanya, did you get my response to your note?? I hope so. Please let me know

• 10.  RE: Holly bites and scratches...

Posted 06-04-2019 03:49 AM

I didn't.   Should it be here or in PMs?

• 11.  RE: Holly bites and scratches...

Posted 06-05-2019 10:28 AM

What's a PM, Tanya? Can you find it or tell me how to find the email I wrote to you and resend it?

• 12.  RE: Holly bites and scratches...

Posted 06-06-2019 10:41 AM

I wish I could but I'm new to Maddie's Pet Forum and not sure how posters email each other. 

• 13.  RE: Holly bites and scratches...

Posted 06-07-2019 12:36 PM

Tanya, here is a reply I sent to someone who also suggested that my foster girl Holly have another cat with her. I think it's relevant to what you wrote to me also ~

Thank you, Wolfden! I appreciate your response. She does like watching my cats as she looks out the window at them. It's her favorite thing to do besides cuddling with me. But, I can't introduce my cats to her. Mine are all seniors (from 10 yrs to 20 yrs of age) and very set in their ways. The would not be good companions. She needs a home and she needs one soon but I holdout for a really good home for Holly. Again, thank you for your care.