Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Leash training

Posted 10-28-2018 08:28 AM

Bella keeps pulling....how can I train her to walk on a leash

#PetBehaviorandTraining

• 2.  RE: Leash training

Posted 10-28-2018 09:40 PM

I have found with my dog that the best route to go is a harness. It's less restrictive and they feel more in control; thus helping to ease them when they feel the need to pull to gain back that control. Patience is key in leash-training, no matter what dog. When I was training my girl, when she started to pull I would stop the walk altogether and make her sit, tell her no, and then proceed. I also noticed that when she was walking, and I would praise her for not pulling, she would get excited and start to pull again, so it is best to leave the praising for when you arrive at your destination and make sure to give them lots of love and treats to let them know they did good. Dogs often respond better to positive reinforcement, so stay calm, I know it can be frustrating!

#PetBehaviorandTraining

• 3.  RE: Leash training

Posted 10-29-2018 10:54 AM

I agree with MorganneA8. Loose leash training requires patience, persistence, and consistency. The SFSPCA has a great resource for the "red light/green light" game:  https://www.sfspca.org/sites/default/files/dog_commands_loose-leash-walking.pdf  Basically, you move forward when the leash is loose and stop completely when the dog pulls on the leash. Dogs do what works so if every single time they pull, they don't get to go forward, they'll stop pulling because they want to move forward. They'll try and try but if it never works, they'll do what works by keeping the leash loose.

My best word of advice when you start this training is that initially you probably won't go far. Don't have a specific destination in mind because it may take you forever to get there. Just plan on going out for a walk and playing red light/green light every single time. The first few walks probably won't be much walking but you'll see improvement each day. Just be consistent and you and Bella should be walking nicely together soon. Good luck! 

#PetBehaviorandTraining

• 4.  RE: Leash training

Posted 10-29-2018 12:12 PM

Look into the K9 lifeline Transition leashes.  We use them for our shelter dogs that have no leash manners.  We work closly with the creator of this leash and I cant tell you how well and quick it works

#PetBehaviorandTraining

• 5.  RE: Leash training

Posted 10-30-2018 07:40 AM

where can I find the life transition leash?

#PetBehaviorandTraining