Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Guarding against foster burnout?

Posted 10-07-2019 04:47 AM

I know there are resources for shelter workers experiencing compassion fatigue/burnout issues.  Are these applicable to foster caregivers?  Are there separate resources for foster parents?

#FosterPrograms
    #compassionfatigue
    #burnout

• 2.  RE: Guarding against foster burnout?

Posted 10-07-2019 06:29 AM

I think the same resources can be applicable to anyone involved in the rescue community, no matter their role. It stinks, but the sad fact is that you're going to see some sh....tuff and feel strong feelings at some point if you choose to interact with this community. 

Plus, here's my shoutout for a newer resource on the market - I actually really liked Kitten Lady's new book (Tiny but Mighty) because it touched on a lot more than just 'how to raise kittens' and had a whole chapter on burnout and self-care!

#FosterPrograms

• 3.  RE: Guarding against foster burnout?

Posted 10-07-2019 06:36 AM

Some things we do for our fosters:

• Annual (I wish it was more often) potluck/party celebrating them. Every foster gets a personalized card for the leadership team (the 4 of us meet in a coffee shop, divide and conquer to write all the cards, and then each of us signs all the cards) and we have a raffle/giveaway for big prizes. Always includes a couple spa gift cards!
    • Regular casual get-togethers (literally just hanging out at a bar or bowling or something)
    • Sympathy card sent when a foster's cat or kitten passes away. Another org I chat with sends their fosters a posthumous adoption contract, saying the cat was part of their family.
    • Foster Facebook group where they can share stories and sympathize with each other
    • Facebook group for our adopters! Fosters are all invited as well and can see photos and such as adopters post about their kitties! 
    • New fosters have a mentor, and that person is often still a support for them after the 'mentoring' official ends

#FosterPrograms