Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Crying at night in Crate

Posted 10-07-2018 02:05 PM

I adopted  My Rolly on 10/3 he's been sleeping well in the crate until last night 10/6  when he woke me up with his cries and howling. I got up at 2:00 a.m. in the morning slept on the couch with him until 430 thinking maybe was uncomfortable due to his booster shots earlier that day. I will be taking  puppy and me class in 2 weeks but any suggestions on how to deal with this if it happens again? Should I move his crate to my room?

#PetBehaviorandTraining

• 2.  RE: Crying at night in Crate

Posted 10-09-2018 04:31 PM

My vote is yes -- move the crate into your bedroom. That way he'll be able to hear you nearby. Just be prepared that he may whine and howl right next to you.  As long as he's getting potty breaks when needed based on his age, you have to be prepared to let him whine.  A good rule of thumb is that a puppy needs to be let out for a potty break however hold he is in months plus one hour. So, an 8 week old puppy could stay in the crate for 3 hours at a time (2 months = 2 hours) + 1 hour = 3 hours.  

In my experience, the whining usually only lasts a night or two before they realize they're not getting out because they whine. Again, just make sure you're giving him enough potty breaks. I also like to make sure puppies have a comfy pad or blanket in the crate and a little stuffed toy (if they don't shred/eat them). Make sure to tire him out and give him a potty break before bedtime, too.

I'm not sure if you've used crates before but believe it or not, eventually your dog will come to love it and use it as a safe place. After I've housetrained my dogs, I end up taking the door off the crate so they can go in and out whenever they want. They have the run of my house and are allowed on couches and beds but still choose to go in their doorless crates at times. Hang in there! 

#PetBehaviorandTraining

• 3.  RE: Crying at night in Crate

Posted 10-09-2018 04:43 PM

Hi Kim thank you for your advise,  I figured it out very quickly the next night I did put the crate in my room and he has been fabulous ever since he is a great little guy

#PetBehaviorandTraining

• 4.  RE: Crying at night in Crate

Posted 10-10-2018 10:29 AM

Awww, so happy to hear that!  Is that a picture of him on your avatar? He's darling!!!

#PetBehaviorandTraining

• 5.  RE: Crying at night in Crate

Posted 10-10-2018 10:34 AM

Yes that's my Rollie and we have a puppy and me class scheduled in a couple of weeks, I am so excited 😀

#PetBehaviorandTraining